Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Behind the scenes
    Joined
    27 Jun '16
    Moves
    1407
    12 Sep '18 21:132 edits
    Perhaps it's time for those countries that use the space around our planet to place their communication satellites, space stations and the like to begin to clean up the mess they've left behind. A massive amount of space debris from the cold war era up to today is circling our planet, posing a real threat to those same satellites and space stations that use that space. So, how should this be done? Who should bear the cost? What rules should be in place to make sure we keep that area clutter free? This is a problem that's becoming harder to ignore with each passing month. Any thoughts?

    https://www.wired.com/story/the-space-junk-problem-is-about-to-get-a-whole-lot-gnarlier/

    https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-quest-to-conquer-earths-space-junk-problem/
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    12 Sep '18 21:53
    Originally posted by @mchill
    Perhaps it's time for those countries that use the space around our planet to place their communication satellites, space stations and the like to begin to clean up the mess they've left behind. A massive amount of space debris from the cold war era up to today is circling our planet, posing a real threat to those same satellites and space stations that use ...[text shortened]... r/

    https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-quest-to-conquer-earths-space-junk-problem/
    How about a $100 fine per incidence of trash?
  3. Behind the scenes
    Joined
    27 Jun '16
    Moves
    1407
    12 Sep '18 21:58
    Originally posted by @whodey
    How about a $100 fine per incidence of trash?
    Sending a rocket into space with equipment to clean up and/or capture even 1 piece of trash will cost far more than $100.00 Whodey, and I think you know that.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    12 Sep '18 22:00
    Originally posted by @mchill
    Sending a rocket into space with equipment to clean up and/or capture even 1 piece of trash will cost far more than $100.00 Whodey, and I think you know that.
    Ok then, how about $200?
  5. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Joined
    13 Apr '07
    Moves
    12727
    12 Sep '18 23:01
    Originally posted by @mchill
    Perhaps it's time for those countries that use the space around our planet to place their communication satellites, space stations and the like to begin to clean up the mess they've left behind. A massive amount of space debris from the cold war era up to today is circling our planet, posing a real threat to those same satellites and space stations that use ...[text shortened]... r/

    https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-quest-to-conquer-earths-space-junk-problem/
    Sounds like good fodder for Space Force training missions. Win win!
  6. Behind the scenes
    Joined
    27 Jun '16
    Moves
    1407
    13 Sep '18 00:30
    Originally posted by @sleepyguy
    Sounds like good fodder for Space Force training missions. Win win!
    Earth to Sleepy - Space Force was set up and has already done this a long time ago. It's under the dept. of the US Air Force. The Donald wants to recreate what's already there. Read all about it below (before you go back to sleep)


    https://www.afspc.af.mil/

    https://www.space.com/41452-space-force-air-force-space-command.html
Back to Top