1. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    29 May '11 17:591 edit
    When the subject of defining "liberal" and "conservative" came up in another thread, I was reminded of how a one-dimensional line segment is as a model for political, social and economic attitudes. So, with a little searching, I managed to find a site that I encountered in another forum years ago that spreads matters out over a (two-dimensional) plane, and perhaps it has even come up in this forum before: http://www.politicalcompass.org/index

I took the test and came up with these numbers:

Economic Left/Right: -9.50
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.95

I'll have to do a little digging to find out how I fared when I last took the test several years ago, but the outcome was similar. It would be interesting to see where others around here turn up. Who are our Stalins, Thatchers and Gandhis?

This is technically not a debate topic as yet, though the merits of the "compass" model versus the more common "spectrum" model could certainly engender debate. Moreover, all of the debate that goes on around here would have to be, I think, a reflection of the varying coordinates of folks on the plane. It's all mathematics, you see!
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Shoot the Squatters?
    tinyurl.com/43m7k8bw
    Moves
    29 May '11 18:02
    Economic Left/Right: -3.00
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.56

Thread 130622
  3. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    29 May '11 18:03
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    When the subject of defining "liberal" and "conservative" came up in another thread, I was reminded of how a one-dimensional line segment is as a model for political, social and economic attitudes. So, with a little searching, I managed to find a site that I encountered in another forum years ago that spreads matters out over a (two-dimensional) plane, an ...[text shortened]... tion of the varying coordinates of folks on the plane. It's all mathematics, you see!
    There's been at least two threads in this forum over the years with people taking that test.
  4. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    29 May '11 19:06
    When the subject of defining "liberal" and "conservative" came up in another thread, I was reminded of how a one-dimensional line segment is as a model for political, social and economic attitudes. So, with a little searching, I managed to find a site that I encountered in another forum years ago that spreads matters out over a (two-dimensional) plane, an ...[text shortened]... tion of the varying coordinates of folks on the plane. It's all mathematics, you see!
    I've taken the test, but I had some problems with some of the questions. I'll have to take it again to remember them.
  5. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    29 May '11 19:19
    Okay, these are the entrees which I find questionable as to their value in ascertaining ideology.

"When you are troubled, it's better not to think about it, but to keep busy with more cheerful things."

And this one:

"A significant advantage of a one-party state is that it avoids all the arguments that delay progress in a democratic political system."

Well, I do believe that it's a significant advantage. However, I also believe that the advantage in no way justifies such a system. So how do I answer that one?

Or this one:

"Abstract art that doesn't represent anything shouldn't be considered art at all."

What does taste in art have to do with ideology?

And this one?

"Astrology accurately explains many things."

And issues of sexual morality really don't apply either, since you can believe that something is immoral but not that the state has any business imposing morality.

In any case, I lean to the left economically -8.25 and below the line in libertarian territory -6.82, right near Gandhi.
  6. Germany
    Moves
    29 May '11 21:18
    Some of the questions are a bit vague, and it's probably a bit short too.

Economic Left/Right: -4.38
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.49
  7. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    29 May '11 21:34
    Economic Left/Right: -9.62
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.46

I didn't get a perfect score because I said it was OK for parents to beat their children.
  8. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    29 May '11 21:37
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Economic Left/Right: -9.62
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.46

I didn't get a perfect score because I said it was OK for parents to beat their children.
    Actually I think it was something similar for me. When they start screaming in restaurants, you know.... 😉
  9. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    29 May '11 21:38
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    There's been at least two threads in this forum over the years with people taking that test.
    Right. Well, what's to do? It's been almost exactly a year since the last one...
  10. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    29 May '11 21:451 edit
    Anyway, I think the test is, like most tests of this nature that try to quantify human traits and attitudes (including IQ tests), not really that accurate. That is, it does not really reveal a person's soul or indicate what they're truly like inside. If Stalin took the test he probably would get a score somewhere in the neighborhood of Gandhi, for instance.

Also, I wish each item on the test had a "Neutral" option.

Also, yes, there are scads of "false dichotomies" in the test (hence my wish for a neutral option in order to opt out).

I do recall getting significantly different scores the last two times I took this, and THAT may be informative. I'm always in Quadrant III, though.
  11. Pepperland
    Moves
    30 May '11 18:24
    http://www.politicalcompass.org/printablegraph?ec=0.00&soc=0.51

Economic Left/Right: 0.00
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.51

I feel I've been perhaps too harsh on the corporations.
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    31 May '11 03:532 edits
    When the subject of defining "liberal" and "conservative" came up in another thread, I was reminded of how a one-dimensional line segment is as a model for political, social and economic attitudes. So, with a little searching, I managed to find a site that I encountered in another forum years ago that spreads matters out over a (two-dimensional) plane, an tion of the varying coordinates of folks on the plane. It's all mathematics, you see!
    I took the liberty of coming up with my own test.

1. Do you like the government in your bedroom telling you who to sleep with?
    2. Do you like the government in your pocket book telling you what paying your fair share means, so much so that you feel like you should prostitute yourself in your bedroom to make ends meet?.......with governmet approval, of course.
    3. Would you wind up lost in a moral vacuum without the guiding hand of government to tell you what is "good" for society and our "collective salvation"?
    4. Do you like the government telling you who you can marry? If so, do you then need the government to tell you if you can sleep with them or not?
    5. Are you basing your future success in life on next years elections?
    6. Should the US continue to be the moral voice of the world as it continues to "promotes democracy" Libya style?

If you answered yes to any of these question do the following. Find the nearest and highest building, go to the very top, and jump. Barak Obama wants you to. 😛
  13. Subscribershavixmironline
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    31 May '11 08:01
    Originally posted by Kunsoo
    "Abstract art that doesn't represent anything shouldn't be considered art at all."

What does taste in art have to do with ideology?
    Hitler's fascism, for example, took the stance that abstract art isn't art.

Generally, linear, black/white thinking people don't enjoy abstract art (or so the argument goes):
    People who dislike abstract art, therefore, will prefer rigidity in laws, heiriarchical societies, harsh punishments, etc.
  14. Subscribershavixmironline
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    31 May '11 08:09
    Economic Left/Right: -8.50
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.33

This is the only question I am worried about:
    First-generation immigrants can never be fully integrated within their new country.

It's an automatic assumption that you mean that it's a bad thing that they're not integrated.
    Personally, however, I feel integration is not neccesairly good.
  15. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    31 May '11 14:10
    I took the test a while ago and cannot find my results (the topic came up a number of times in RHP, might do it again soon if I have the time).

I was also in the far bottom left quadrant.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree