1. Joined
    23 Nov '11
    Moves
    19 Mar '16 15:49
    https://www.facebook.com/OccupyDemocrats/videos/953980811361640/

I'm quite sure there will be some who visit this forum who will say we should do away with food stamps, medicaid, etc. as well as the corporate goodies However, the true measure of nation's greatness is how it treats the most vulnerable citizens; children, the poor, the sick, those who are suddenly thrust into difficult economic situations. These statistics also show that the U.S.A. has truly become an oligarchy.
  2. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    19 Mar '16 16:065 edits
    Originally posted by Phranny

I'm quite sure there will be some who visit this forum who will say we should do away with food stamps, medicaid, etc. as well as the corporate goodies However, the true measure of nation's greatness is how it treats the most vulnerable citizens; children, the poor, the sick, those who are ...[text shortened]... t economic situations. These statistics also show that the U.S.A. has truly become an oligarchy.
    Earth to Phranny - Dow Chemical, Exxon Mobil, Wal Mart, Goldman Sachs and Pfizer are NOT America's most vulnerable citizens, they are massively rich corporations with assets larger than some countries. They take advantage of many tax loopholes and political favors. They DON'T need or deserve corporate welfare handouts. Write this down, and don't forget it!!😠
  3. Joined
    23 Nov '11
    Moves
    19 Mar '16 17:39
    Originally posted by bill718
    Earth to Phranny - Dow Chemical, Exxon Mobil, Wal Mart, Goldman Sachs and Pfizer are NOT America's most vulnerable citizens, they are massively rich corporations with assets larger than some countries. They take advantage of many tax loopholes and political favors. They DON'T need or deserve corporate welfare handouts. Write this down, and don't forget it!!😠
    Well, that is the point of the item I posted. The U.S. uses tax dollars and tax breaks to help those who do not need it while the truly needy go homeless, hungry, etc. I was trying to say that these corporations do not need nor deserve the government handouts.
  4. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    19 Mar '16 18:32
    Well, that is the point of the item I posted. The U.S. uses tax dollars and tax breaks to help those who do not need it while the truly needy go homeless, hungry, etc. I was trying to say that these corporations do not need nor deserve the government handouts.
    Has it occurred to you that those big ugly corporations still pay taxes, and employ hundreds of thousands of Americans, at competitive wages?

Has it also occurred to you that the US also has among the most liberal benefits programs for homeless, hungry and unemployed people, and these recipients seldom if ever pay any taxes.

The corporate welfare is a carni scam! Most is tax credits, which companies "earn" by producing what government asks the to, and credit for hiring and building in areas government wants them.

How about the novel idea that government stop giving handouts to anyone?!
  5. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    19 Mar '16 18:541 edit
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Has it occurred to you that those big ugly corporations still pay taxes, and employ hundreds of thousands of Americans, at competitive wages?

Has it also occurred to you that the US also has among the most liberal benefits programs for homeless, hungry and unemployed people, and these recipients seldom if ever pay any taxes.

The corporate welfare is ...[text shortened]... nment wants them.

Wrong again Norm!! The Fortune 500 employs less than 9% of the working public, yet sucks tens of billions in corporate welfare money each year in the form of grants and subsidies. These are not tax breaks (they are additional!) this is NOT money given away in exchange for goods or services, this is money freely given away just because they are big. Small and medium companies employ over 80% of all employees and they get nothing. Pull your head out of the sand Norm, and stop believing everything you hear.
  6. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    19 Mar '16 19:00

I'm quite sure there will be some who visit this forum who will say we should do away with food stamps, medicaid, etc. as well as the corporate goodies However, the true measure of nation's greatness is how it treats the most vulnerable citizens; children, the poor, the sick, those who are ...[text shortened]... t economic situations. These statistics also show that the U.S.A. has truly become an oligarchy.
    The true measure of a country is how individuals deal with the poor and needy, not the government.
  7. Joined
    23 Nov '11
    Moves
    19 Mar '16 19:02
    Originally posted by normbenign

The corporate welfare is ...[text shortened]... nment wants them.

http://www.newsmax.com/Finance/StreetTalk/Fortune-tax-corporate-GE/2015/04/14/id/638367/

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/25/business/economy/25tax.html?_r=0

The fact is, the U.S. has a very weak safety net for citizens in need compared to the other Western industrialized nations. Also, note the two above articles. GE and other Fortune 500 companies get away with paying zero or very modest taxes. The increasing income gap in the U.S. along with the demise of the middle class is increasingly hurting consumption of goods and services which is what fuels our economy. So even if you hate to see anyone get ahead except the wealthy, you might want to do the patriotic thing and support efforts to boost middle class spending power to fuel our economy. Corporations do not create jobs. People with money to spend on goods and services create a demand and corporations then hire people to meet the demand.
  8. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    19 Mar '16 19:13
    http://www.newsmax.com/Finance/StreetTalk/Fortune-tax-corporate-GE/2015/04/14/id/638367/

The fact is, the U.S. has a very weak safety net for citizens in need compared to the other Western industrialized nations. Also, note the two above articles. GE and other Fortune 500 companies get ...[text shortened]... pend on goods and services create a demand and corporations then hire people to meet the demand.
    Are you listening Norm???
  9. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    20 Mar '16 01:32
    ...consumption of goods and services which is what fuels our economy. So even if you hate to see anyone get ahead except the wealthy.[/b]
    A staple economic lack-wit red herring.

It is production which drives an economy. This is not some kind of 'which comes first the chicken or the egg' debate, production is the driver, consumption is the result.

BTW we all know Norm is a good ole boy who would like to see everyone get ahead, your 'hate' remark is low level unimaginative trolling, if you're going to play that game try some originality you're beginning to sound like D64 or Z.
  10. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    20 Mar '16 06:47
    Yeah... you seem to have missed the point being made there, my cuddly little friend.
  11. Germany
    Moves
    20 Mar '16 10:29
    Originally posted by Eladar
    The true measure of a country is how individuals deal with the poor and needy, not the government.
    Individuals vote.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Mar '16 18:50
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Well then black-run African countries ain't chit are they ?
    Oh......they're all run by blacks now.
    Sort of points out why they suck so much today.
    Remember back when Zimbabwe was Rhodesia and all the Africans were well fed and happy compared to today?
  13. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    21 Mar '16 01:10
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    Yeah... you seem to have missed the point being made there, my cuddly little friend.
    OK...I'll take the rap on this. I should have checked out the link first. Sorry about that. 😳
  14. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    22 Mar '16 01:24
    Wrong again Norm!! The Fortune 500 employs less than 9% of the working public, yet sucks tens of billions in corporate welfare money each year in the form of grants and subsidies. These are not tax breaks (they are additional!) this is NOT money given away in exchange for goods or services, this is money freely given away just because they are big. Small and ...[text shortened]... d they get nothing. Pull your head out of the sand Norm, and stop believing everything you hear.
    Grants and subsidies are what I already identified, government bribes or coercion to make or do stuff the government wants, which may not be dictated by markets.

Unfortunately, what I hear is the same mimes repeating what you say. You really have to search for anyone arguing for free markets.
  15. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    22 Mar '16 01:29

The fact is, the U.S. has a very weak safety net for citizens in need compared to the other Western industrialized nations. Also, note the two above articles. GE and other Fortune 500 companies get ...[text shortened]... pend on goods and services create a demand and corporations then hire people to meet the demand.
    In case you hadn't noticed, until something is produced, there is no demand for it. American entrepreneurs, not necessarily corporate, produce the new stuff that ends up sometime being in demand.

I guess also that you probably don't know how many things are produced that end up being losers.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree