1. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    27 Nov '09 21:191 edit
    http://libn.com/thedebateroom/2008/11/25/keating-the-small-business-vote-differed-from-the-nation%e2%80%99s/

For many decades the G O P could count on unwavering support from business owners (large and small). Beginning in 1980 during the Regan Revolution, however small business owners began to feel that the G O P was too concerned about the plight of the fortune 500, and that small business owners were nothing more than those the G O P only paid lip service to at election time, since then there has been a slow, but steady erosion of support for the G O P among those in the small business community. The election of 2008 finally tipped the scale in favor of the Democrats. Of all the problems the G O P faces today, this one may be the most dire. If the Republican party cannot shed it's image as "the party of the rich", then a significant piece of the Republican voting base will be lost for a long time to come. Small business's employ the majority of Americans, and the're political weight is very large. The G O P is going to have to work very hard to attract this powerful group back to the Republican base, the chances of this happening anytime soon is not promising...😏
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Nov '09 21:36
    Dude that article is a year old, things have changed just a bit since Obama came into office.
  3. At the Revolution
    Moves
    28 Nov '09 19:07
    Well, no, it's not losing its base, it's just tearing itself apart pretty impressively. I like to watch Sarah Palin rip apart McCain's camp or vice versa and eat popcorn.
  4. Joined
    26 Dec '08
    Moves
    28 Nov '09 23:24
    Originally posted by bill718
    http://libn.com/thedebateroom/2008/11/25/keating-the-small-business-vote-differed-from-the-nation%e2%80%99s/

For many decades the G O P could count on unwavering support from business owners (large and small). Beginning in 1980 during the Regan Revolution, however small business owners began to feel that the G O P was too concerned about the plight of th ...[text shortened]... ck to the Republican base, the chances of this happening anytime soon is not promising...😏
    Do you even believe yourself?

Small business owners favored republicans in general, and reflect a less dramatic aproval for Obama than the overall vote precisely because they favor free market policies over regulations that increase costs of small business and taxation.

The economy was already falling during the elections as we all know, which points to a win for the party out of power, once more as well all know.

Therefore, don't get your hopes up.

The story of November in terms of political support, is Obama's falling support numbers in the polls.

It looks like the Democrats will have a hard time solidifying or even maintaining a fillibuster proof-majority these coming elections.

Maybe it's all the talk of taxes for not getting health insurances and making small businesses take on so much dead weight.

From your own article:

"So, small-business owners leaned more Republican in the 2008 election than the general electorate. But they clearly were less enthusiastic for Republican presidential candidate John McCain compared to Republicans running for Congress and compared to their support for President Bush in 2004. This year, many small-business owners apparently would have been happy with a divided government – a Democrat in the White House and Republicans running Congress.

In fact, the survey showed that among small-business voters, 38 percent identified themselves as Republican, with 31 percent saying they were Democrats and 27 percent independents. The Republican-Democrat breakdown was basically reversed among voters in general, with 38 percent Democrat, 33 percent Republican and 25 percent independent.

The numbers were similar regarding social, economic and political views. Among small-business owners, 38 percent were conservative, 31 percent moderate, 25 percent liberal, and, by the way, 2 percent libertarian."
  5. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    29 Nov '09 00:08
    Originally posted by eljefejesus

Small business owners favored republicans in general, and reflect a less dramatic aproval for Obama than the overall vote precisely because they favor free market policies over regulations that increase costs of small business and taxation.
    Are you a small business owner and is that how you believe?

I am a small business owner and this statement reflects none of my positions.

General statements in the absence of any quantifying hard data are meaningless flim-flam.
  6. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    29 Nov '09 07:47

For many decades the G O P could count on unwavering support from business owners (large and small). Beginning in 1980 during the Regan Revolution, however small business owners began to feel that the G O P was too concerned about the plight of th ...[text shortened]... ck to the Republican base, the chances of this happening anytime soon is not promising...😏
    What's the GOP?
  7. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    29 Nov '09 10:571 edit
    .....If the Republican party cannot shed it's image as "the party of the rich", then a significant piece of the Republican voting base will be lost for a long time to come.
    Is this a good indicator of the long suspected view that there is a large body of disgruntled GOP supporters out there, who regularly free base? The neurotic obsession with which many on the raucous right willingly take up ill conceived strategies with which to discredit the left surely displays all the hallmarks of a well entrenched state of permanent drug induced psychosis. Who woud have thought.....!
  8. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    29 Nov '09 16:54
    Originally posted by eljefejesus
    Do you even believe yourself?

The economy was already falling during the elections as we all know, which poin ...[text shortened]... ervative, 31 percent moderate, 25 percent liberal, and, by the way, 2 percent libertarian."
    Yes...I do believe myself. If you bothered to read the rest of the article, you'd see how small business owners actually voted, as opposed to who they "favored in general". Yours is a typical example of only seeing what they want to, rather than the whole story. (Not really a big suprise)😏
  9. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    29 Nov '09 17:073 edits
    Originally posted by Badwater

General statements in the absence of any quantifying hard data are meaningless flim-flam.
    Yes...I am a small business owner, and that is what I believe. As a Landlord, and Real Estate Agent, many in my office feel the same way. Under G O P Presidents:

Who recieves the largest tax breaks? The Fortune 500

Who recieves ALL the stimulus funds? The Fortune 500

Who gets the lions share on the Corperate welfare dime? The Fortune 500

Who recieves the lions share of Government grant Money? The Fortune 500

A tiny bit of reasearch on your part will clearly show you this is not flim flam
    (unless of course you don't want to know about it)
    As a small business owner you may want to reconsider some of your "positions."😏
  10. Joined
    26 Dec '08
    Moves
    29 Nov '09 19:45
    Major recessions are populist prime time until they cause enough economic damage or fatigue for themselves to be voted out.

The republicans have been facing an uphill battle based on other changes such as the rise of the technology-enriched elite that tend to vote Democratic, the demographic chages in the electorate whereby minorities make up more voters as birth rates of the last couple of decades are reflected in the current voter make-up.

The polls speak for themselves, try to understand their point that although most of the electorate voted more heavily democratic, small business owners did not vote as heavily democratic even in this recession where a party in power tends to be voted out. That means that in the next close election, you can still count on the majority of business owners to lean Republican comopared to the rest of the electorate.

Did you miss that the first time?
  11. Joined
    26 Dec '08
    Moves
    29 Nov '09 19:46
    Originally posted by Badwater

Are any of us all business owners? When you analysis is weak, it is not made up for by being a business owner.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree