1. silicon valley
    Moves
    13 Dec '09 02:19
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008%E2%80%932009_Icelandic_financial_crisis

On February 27, 2009, the Wall Street Journal reported that Iceland's new government is trying to raise $25 million by selling its ambassadorial residences in Washington, New York, London and Oslo.[161]
  2. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    13 Dec '09 07:381 edit
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    it's in the OP. you can add quality of life rankings if you want. i don't see the point.
    Those numbers tell absolutely nothing.

So, I see you have no point of debate. Just another attempt of blow in the dark
    aimed at the successful Nordic model from a envious American.

Try harder next time. Thanks.
  3. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    13 Dec '09 07:521 edit
    Originally posted by Seitse
    I don't get the highlighting, dude.

Finland is not part of Scandinavia. Same goes for the Netherlands.
    What do you mean Finland isn't part of Scandinavia???

EDIT: And I don't give a rat's arse what it says on Wikipedia bout this matter.
    Finland is Scandinavia and Iceland is not.

End of story. Stop warping my views on geography.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Dec '09 08:08
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    What do you mean Finland isn't part of Scandinavia??? [...] Finland is Scandinavia
    The Finns I have met do not agree with you.
  5. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    13 Dec '09 08:14
    Originally posted by FMF
    The Finns I have met do not agree with you.
    So what?
    I've met Americans who don't think they're mass murderers and I've met CIA operatives who actually call themselves American intelligence.

Just because somebody says he's a communist, doesn't make him one.
    Just because somebody says he's not Scandinavian, doesn't make it so.

Anything above Germany, to the West of Russia and East of the North Sea... is Scandinavian.
    Ask the Finns you meet: "Hey... are you Scandinavian, Russian or German?"
    See...
  6. Germany
    Moves
    13 Dec '09 08:31
    So what?
    I've met Americans who don't think they're mass murderers and I've met CIA operatives who actually call themselves American intelligence.

Just because somebody says he's a communist, doesn't make him one.
    Just because somebody says he's not Scandinavian, doesn't make it so.

Anything above Germany, to the West of Russia and East of the Nort ...[text shortened]... n.
    See...
    Historically, Finns are not associated with the Northern Germanic tribes who settled in the South of modern Scandinavia. Rather, they are descendents of nomadic tribes of northern Eurasia, who lived more primitive lives due to the harsh, cold climate, and were relatively isolated from the Germanic tribes to the South.
  7. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    13 Dec '09 08:332 edits
    What do you mean Finland isn't part of Scandinavia???

EDIT: And I don't give a rat's arse what it says on Wikipedia bout this matter.
    Finland is Scandinavia and Iceland is not.

End of story. Stop warping my views on geography.
    Actually, wikipedia agrees with you. That's the problem with wikipedia: anybody can post there.

So, here it goes: we are all Nordic (yeah, I include myself regardless of the racial
    and cultural difference).

However, Scandinavia makes reference to an specific cultural identity and a rooted
    language. Finland has a distinctive, non-Germanic cultural identity and its language is
    Finno-Ugric. Although politically it can be referred in conjunction with Norway, Sweden
    and Denmark, this arises from the shared Nordic characteristic.
  8. silicon valley
    Moves
    13 Dec '09 10:30
    Originally posted by Seitse
    Those numbers tell absolutely nothing.

So, I see you have no point of debate. Just another attempt of blow in the dark
    aimed at the successful Nordic model from a envious American.

Try harder next time. Thanks.
    what happens to little people when they borrow too much on their credit cards?
  9. silicon valley
    Moves
    13 Dec '09 10:33
    ho!

---

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scandinavia#Finland

Finland

The clearest example of the use of the term "Scandinavia" as a political and cultural construct is the unique position of Finland, based largely on it having been part of Sweden, thus to much of the world properly associating Finland with all of Scandinavia. But the creation of a Finnish identity is unique in the region in that it was formed in relation to two different imperial models, the Swedish[13] and the Russian,[14][15] as described by the University of Jyväskylä based editorial board of the Finnish journal Yearbook of Political Thought and Conceptual History;[16][dubious – discuss]
    “ The construction of a specific Finnish polity is the result of successful decolonization. The politico-cultural location of Finland is a moving one. It has shifted from being a province in the Swedish Empire to an autonomous unit in 'Eastern' Europe, then to an independent state in 'Northern' Europe or 'Scandinavia. After the joining European Union, Finland has recently been included in 'Western Europe'.[14] ”

The term is, therefore, often defined according to the conventions of the cultures that lay claim to the term in their own usage.[17]
  10. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    13 Dec '09 10:39
    what happens to little people when they borrow too much on their credit cards?
    The question is flawed.

First you have to support and think about the following issues:

(a) The differences between little people and nation states.
    (b) How much is too much?
    (c) Borrowing interest against other liabilities and income generation.

You're welcome.
  11. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    13 Dec '09 10:391 edit
    ho!

---

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scandinavia#Finland

Finland

The clearest example of the use of the term "Scandinavia" as a political and cultural construct is the unique position of Finland, based largely on it having been part of Sweden, thus to much of the world properly associating Finland with all of Scandinavia. But the creation of a g to the conventions of the cultures that lay claim to the term in their own usage.[17]
    I am afraid you don't read carefully before copy pasting.

😴
  12. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    14 Dec '09 08:51
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scandinavia

Scandinavia[1] is a region in northern Europe that includes Denmark, Norway and Sweden. Finland is often considered a Scandinavian country in common English usage, and Iceland and the Faroe Islands are sometimes also included.[2]
    Sweden Norway and Denmark are scandinavian countries.
    The Nordic countries include the Scandinavian countries, and Finland, Iceland, Faroe Islands, Svalbard, Åland...
  13. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    14 Dec '09 08:55
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Sweden Norway and Denmark are scandinavian countries.
    The Nordic countries include the Scandinavian countries, and Finland, Iceland, Faroe Islands, Svalbard, Åland...
    We've had this discussion before. Mr Z doesn't reckon that Scandinavians should define what Scandinavia is ...
  14. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    14 Dec '09 11:44
    See...
    Surely that's a bit like asking someone how long since they've last beat up their spouse. It presumes an underlying truth which may or may not be true, by simple virtue of the options given.
  15. silicon valley
    Moves
    14 Dec '09 16:50
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    We've had this discussion before. Mr Z doesn't reckon that Scandinavians should define what Scandinavia is ...
    i got to ask myself, who's right? wikipedia, or FF, Seitse, and BdN?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree