1. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    15 Apr '10 13:54
    The problem with the stats you're referencing is two-fold.

One, it doesn't cite the occurrence rates (male-male, male-female, female-female, female-male) and yet draws conclusions as though such information is either assumed or non-consequential.

Two, it attempts to make distinctions between frequency of acts and the actors themselves--- as though the quantity of any given act determines whether or not the actor can be labeled accordingly.

Such false dichotomy encourages a person to disassociate themselves from their acts (I'm not really gay, I'm just working out anger issues on that man's bottom) which essentially keeps responsibility and accountability totally at bay. Not really all that healthy, psychologically-speaking...
  2. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    15 Apr '10 15:31
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Two, it attempts to make distinctions between frequency of acts and the actors themselves--- as though the quantity of any given act determines whether or not the actor can be labeled accordingly.
    "Rebellious" prisoners are often raped by other inmates in order to teach them proper "discipline". Are the rapists homosexual for doing so?
  3. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    15 Apr '10 15:37
    Originally posted by adam warlock
    "Rebellious" prisoners are often raped by other inmates in order to teach them proper "discipline". Are the rapists homosexual for doing so?
    A woman trades sex for money in order to pay for food for her family. Is she a prostitute?
  4. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    15 Apr '10 15:42
    The problem with the stats you're referencing is two-fold.

One, it doesn't cite the occurrence rates (male-male, male-female, female-female, female-male) and yet draws conclusions as though such information is either assumed or non-consequential.

Two, it attempts to make distinctions between frequency of acts and the actors themselves--- as though th ...[text shortened]... nd accountability totally at bay. Not really all that healthy, psychologically-speaking...
    Sexual orientation is not dependent on the acts. Most people are aware of their sexual orientation even before they lose their virginity.
  5. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    15 Apr '10 15:43
    A woman trades sex for money in order to pay for food for her family. Is she a prostitute?
    In what way is that relevant to what you said? In what way is that relevant to what I asked?
    Care to answer the question?
  6. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    15 Apr '10 15:48
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Sexual orientation is not dependent on the acts. Most people are aware of their sexual orientation even before they lose their virginity.
    The acts are dependent upon sexual orientation, however.

The citation is going to great lengths to dismiss this link and drawing conclusions without consideration of all information available.
  7. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    15 Apr '10 15:48
    Originally posted by adam warlock
    In what way is that relevant to what you said? In what way is that relevant to what I asked?
    Care to answer the question?
    The answer to my question is the answer to yours.
  8. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    15 Apr '10 15:50
    The acts are dependent upon sexual orientation, however.

The citation is going to great lengths to dismiss this link and drawing conclusions without consideration of all information available.
    Yes, but you are claiming the causality runs the other way.

There is a number of citations in the link. One is about a study that shows evidence that male sexual molesters of boys are not more likely to be homosexual (that I quoted).
  9. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    15 Apr '10 15:51
    The answer to my question is the answer to yours.
    If you say so.
  10. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    15 Apr '10 15:55
    Yes, but you are claiming the causality runs the other way.

There is a number of citations in the link. One is about a study that shows evidence that male sexual molesters of boys are not more likely to be homosexual (that I quoted).
    This is what I perceive to be a weakness to the conclusion. How are they defining 'homosexual,' if not allowing the description to be self-imposed?
  11. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    15 Apr '10 16:06
    This is what I perceive to be a weakness to the conclusion. How are they defining 'homosexual,' if not allowing the description to be self-imposed?
    So your only defense is that you are unsure as to how the researchers defined homosexuality? Is that it?

What is the problem, in your view, of asking them directly?
  12. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    15 Apr '10 16:14
    So your only defense is that you are unsure as to how the researchers defined homosexuality? Is that it?

That, and the other issues I raised previously.

Uh, stigma?

Pirates of yore most emphatically engaged in homosexual behavior while at sea. However, none of them would have tolerated being called a 'puffer' or any other supposed attack on their manliness.

Homosexuality remains a social stigma even to this day. Not without an extreme amount of self-security will someone 'come out' about their preferences in this area--- which would require recognizing the same first, of course.
  13. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    15 Apr '10 16:21
    [b]So your only defense is that you are unsure as to how the researchers defined homosexuality? Is that it?
    That, and the other issues I raised previously.

Uh, stigma?

Pirates of yore most emphatically engaged in homosexual behavior while at sea. However, none of them would ha ...[text shortened]... their preferences in this area--- which would require recognizing the same first, of course.[/b]
    I don't think being called a 'puffer' is a major concern for a convicted pedophile. Besides, surveys guarantee confidentiality.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree