1. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    26 Dec '12 23:54
    Just purchased and downloaded this morning, and only finished the introduction, but it looks interesting. Written by Andrew Napolitano, it analyzes two Presidencies one Republican, and one Democratic in very critical terms finds both similarly anti liberty, and pro big government.

Is this just the way things are? Opposing parties, that aren't really opposed? Seems so to many of us today.
  2. Dublin Ireland
    Moves
    27 Dec '12 00:00
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Just purchased and downloaded this morning, and only finished the introduction, but it looks interesting. Written by Andrew Napolitano, it analyzes two Presidencies one Republican, and one Democratic in very critical terms finds both similarly anti liberty, and pro big government.

Is this just the way things are? Opposing parties, that aren't really opposed? Seems so to many of us today.
    The political parties here in Ireland and in Britain,
    and indeed in quite a lot of Europe all attempt to occupy
    the centre ground. It's really very difficult to tell them
    apart these days.

But I believe they move only to suit the demographics.

If the public mood went left, all the politicians would claim to be leftist.

They do it only to get votes and get elected.

They don't give a rats ass about you or me.
  3. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    27 Dec '12 00:04
    Originally posted by normbenign

The differences are insignificant only if you think that big government conservatism and big government liberalism are likely to produce the same policy outcomes.
  4. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    27 Dec '12 00:05
    Originally posted by johnnylongwoody
    The political parties here in Ireland and in Britain,
    and indeed in quite a lot of Europe all attempt to occupy
    the centre ground. It's really very difficult to tell them
    apart these days.

But I believe they move only to suit the demographics.

If the public mood went left, all the politicians would claim to be leftist.

They do it only to get votes and get elected.

They don't give a rats ass about you or me.
    That tends to be the story here as well. Politicians get elected by giving people stuff. Question is whether people can wake up to the fact that politicians are buying this stuff to give us with our own money.
  5. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    28 Dec '12 17:58
    Originally posted by Teinosuke
    The differences are insignificant only if you think that big government conservatism and big government liberalism are likely to produce the same policy outcomes.
    Truly, I find big government as a modifier to either conservatism or liberalism to be an oxymoron.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree