1. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    24 Dec '15 04:11
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    I am sure someone here will be able to identify the speaker of this quote.
    I'd like to hear comments on how this applies to world events today.

“Naturally the common people don’t want war. But after all, it is the
    leaders of a country who determine the policy, and it’s always a
    simple matter to drag people along whether it is a democracy or a
    fascist ...[text shortened]... ck of patriotism and
    for exposing the country to danger. It works the same in every
    country.”
    I can't identify the speaker, but it does seem pretty much the way it works.

The leader we have today does not want to do his duty of keeping the people safe by providing effective border control and deport illegal immigrant criminals, nor does he want to administer authority as a minister of God and avenger who brings wrath on the ones who practices evil (Romans 13:7).

We the people are also to blame for voting in people that are too weak to perform as ministers of God. 😏
  2. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    24 Dec '15 14:471 edit
    I am sure someone here will be able to identify the speaker of this quote.
    I'd like to hear comments on how this applies to world events today.

“Naturally the common people don’t want war. But after all, it is the
    leaders of a country who determine the policy, and it’s always a
    simple matter to drag people along whether it is a democracy or a
    fascist ...[text shortened]... ck of patriotism and
    for exposing the country to danger. It works the same in every
    country.”
    I remember reading that well-known Goering quote in GM Gilbert's "Nuremberg Diary" - great book, by the way - (the quote was made to Gilbert, who was the prison psychiatrist at Nuremberg). Goering had a lot of interesting quotes. For all of his moral failings (and they were too numerous to count), he was obviously an intelligent person and an able politician.

I also remember that quote being bandied about by the intellectually lazy throughout the Bush administration's actions in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Military actions should be judged individually based on facts and circumstances, not based on the generic idea of a person who's been dead for 70 years.
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    24 Dec '15 15:25
    So what about it, is he right?

Specifically, I'm looking at this:
    "All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and for exposing the country to danger."
    I would say he is by and large right. In most cases the majority can be persuaded to go to war on trumped up perceived threats. Of course there are always those that see through it, and those that are generally pacifist in nature and don't want war despite the perceived threats and those of us that aren't good at 'group think'.
    I also think there will be variations in the responses depending on the culture of the country in question. Some cultures encourage patriotism more than others.
    I also agree that 9/11 and terrorism in general has been successfully used by politicians for their own ends and that they play up terrorism deliberately.
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    24 Dec '15 22:56
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I would say he is by and large right. In most cases the majority can be persuaded to go to war on trumped up perceived threats. Of course there are always those that see through it, and those that are generally pacifist in nature and don't want war despite the perceived threats and those of us that aren't good at 'group think'.
    I also think there will be ...[text shortened]... uccessfully used by politicians for their own ends and that they play up terrorism deliberately.
    And sometimes politicians deliberately play down terrorism for their own political ends. For politicians to ignore the connection of terrorism and Islam and claim Islam is a religion of peace makes sense only as a political ploy of some sort.

Woman Leaves Islam, After READING the Quran for Herself

YouTube
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    24 Dec '15 23:16
    Originally posted by RJHinds

The leader we have today does not want to do his duty of keeping the people safe by providing effective border control and deport illegal immigrant criminals, nor does he want to administer authority as a minister of God and avenger who brings wrath on the ones who practices evi ...[text shortened]... ople are also to blame for voting in people that are too weak to perform as ministers of God. 😏
    The whole quote just kind of "whooshed" right over your head, didn't it?
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    25 Dec '15 00:39
    The whole quote just kind of "whooshed" right over your head, didn't it?
    I picked up on the dictator quote about Obama. 😏
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    25 Dec '15 04:01
    I picked up on the dictator quote about Obama. 😏
    This has nothing to do with Obama, you simpleton!
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    25 Dec '15 07:37
    This has nothing to do with Obama, you simpleton!
    It is a timely quote that can easily be applied to Obama, since he is the current leader. 😏
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 Dec '15 23:51

The leader we have today does not want to do his duty of keeping the people safe by providing effective border control and deport illegal immigrant criminals, nor does he want to administer authority as a minister of God and avenger who brings wrath on the ones who practices evi ...[text shortened]... ople are also to blame for voting in people that are too weak to perform as ministers of God. 😏
    I guess you didn't know the question had been answered by three people including me. You were, as usual, behind the times and so without even knowing who it was, morphed it into your tired attacks on Obama. Your humanity just shines through.

Do you recognize sarcasm when you read it?
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    26 Dec '15 04:45
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I guess you didn't know the question had been answered by three people including me. You were, as usual, behind the times and so without even knowing who it was, morphed it into your tired attacks on Obama. Your humanity just shines through.

Do you recognize sarcasm when you read it?
    I certainly recognize your contempt and stupidity when I read it. Sarcasm is another matter. 😏

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree