1. Joined
    14 Dec '07
    Moves
    24 Dec '13 21:48
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    It is a strange idea to tie your nation's level of economic activity to how much of an essentially useless metal can be pulled out of the ground.
    Gold has many uses. http://geology.com/minerals/gold/uses-of-gold.shtml
  2. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    24 Dec '13 21:59
    Originally posted by dryhump
    Gold has many uses. http://geology.com/minerals/gold/uses-of-gold.shtml
    The article says its "primary use" is in jewelry and its second most use is as a financial reserve. All other uses put together are trivial.

Essentially it has no serious intrinsic value.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    24 Dec '13 22:41
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    The article says its "primary use" is in jewelry and its second most use is as a financial reserve. All other uses put together are trivial.

Essentially it has no serious intrinsic value.
    The issue is constraint. When on the gold standard they were restrained from spending too much. Now nothing restrains them.
  4. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    24 Dec '13 22:51
    Originally posted by whodey
    The issue is constraint. When on the gold standard they were restrained from spending too much. Now nothing restrains them.
    The issue is that the prior system was completely illogical and artificial. Tying the currency to a metal makes no sense. Arbitrarily restraining the growth of currency in times of growth is senseless and destructive to the economy.

I wish I could find the link, but in a prior discussion I posted economic growth statistics which showed that growth since the Fed was created was about double in real terms annually then in the 100 years before. And economic depressions, though present, occurred far less often. The Fed has done a decent job though I wouldn't mind economic policy being more in the hands of our elected representatives than in elitist bankers.
  5. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    25 Dec '13 01:33
    I have a thread coming about the Fed. I decided not to start it around Christmas and save it for the cold dead winter. Democrat, republican - it doesn't matter.
  6. Germany
    Moves
    25 Dec '13 08:36
    Originally posted by whodey
    The restriction is not on "spending", but on the amount of currency available. Dropping the gold standard allowed the Fed to control the money supply, which means they can control inflation. The rate of inflation has not gone above 4% since 1991, but I'm sure your blogs will tell you those statistics are all lies.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree