1. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    06 Nov '16 23:21
    Par for the course. Weimar Republic anyone?

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/trump-rolls-out-anti-semitic-closing-ad
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    06 Nov '16 23:243 edits
  3. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    06 Nov '16 23:35
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    [youtube Trump on Jon Stewart]GEEgplXwNWk[/youtube]
    OMG! I hadn't seen that!
  4. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    06 Nov '16 23:47
    http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/03/politics/donald-trump-rjc-negotiator/index.html

Trump talks to Jewish Republicans:

"I'm a negotiator like you folks, we are negotiators," Trump said, drawing laughter before pivoting to how he would renegotiate the Iran deal. "Is there anybody that doesn't renegotiate deals in this room? This room negotiates them -- perhaps more than any other room I've ever spoken in."
    The comments were largely met with laughter and smirks, and RJC spokesman Mark McNulty downplayed suggestions that Trump's comments pointed to Jewish stereotypes.

"Donald Trump is well aware of the composition of our board and our audience -- one that includes many successful businessmen and women as well as deal makers like him," McNulty told CNN.

But while Trump tried to win over the audience of wealthy Jewish Republicans, the billionaire presidential candidate said he didn't believe the assembled crowd would support him.

"You're not gonna support me because I don't want your money. You want to control your politicians, that's fine. Five months ago I was with you," Trump said, pointing to his recent past as a much sought-after political donor who filled the campaign coffers of both Republicans and Democrats. "I do want your support, but I don't want your money."
  5. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    06 Nov '16 23:50
    http://www.dailykos.com/story/2016/10/13/1582152/-At-Long-Last-Trump-Blames-The-Jews-For-His-Failed-Campaign

More broadly, though, the anti-Semitic allusions Trump made tonight are perfectly in keeping with the behavior of a large segment of his support base, the “alt-right,” a loosely defined group of digital racists whose denizens include white supremacists and various “white power” groups seeking to establish “racial purity” via their “white identity.”

And even more broadly, it was just a matter of time, wasn’t it? First he came for the Hispanics, then the Blacks, then he came for the Muslims, then the disabled, then POW’s, then the women.

And now, the Jews.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Nov '16 23:52

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

7. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    07 Nov '16 00:26
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    http://www.dailykos.com/story/2016/10/13/1582152/-At-Long-Last-Trump-Blames-The-Jews-For-His-Failed-Campaign

More broadly, though, the anti-Semitic allusions Trump made tonight are perfectly in keeping with the behavior of a large segment of his support base, the “alt-right,” a loosely defined group of digital racists whose denizens include whit ...[text shortened]... e came for the Muslims, then the disabled, then POW’s, then the women.

And now, the Jews.
    Who writes that drivel?
  8. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    07 Nov '16 05:29

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

9. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    07 Nov '16 14:431 edit
    Originally posted by Kunsoo
    Par for the course. Weimar Republic anyone?

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/trump-rolls-out-anti-semitic-closing-ad
    What BS! You can't possibly believe that ad is anti-Semitic. I'm not surprised that TPM, which will do anything to help Clinton, spins it as such, but I'm surprised you'd fall for it.

Soros is a well-known dem operative and Yellin is merely a member of the executive administration being criticized. That they're Jews is beside the point. Calling that as anti-Semitic is crying wolf to the nth degree.

The ad also is not about a conspiracy theory, but about the ruling system in general.

Criticizing a Jew doesn't make one anti-Semitic any more than my saying Ryan Fitzpatrick is a lousy quarterback makes me anti-Irish.
  10. Germany
    Moves
    07 Nov '16 16:02
    Originally posted by sh76
    What BS! You can't possibly believe that ad is anti-Semitic. I'm not surprised that TPM, which will do anything to help Clinton, spins it as such, but I'm surprised you'd fall for it.

Soros is a well-known dem operative and Yellin is merely a member of the executive administration being criticized. That they're Jews is beside the point. Calling that as anti- ...[text shortened]... nti-Semitic any more than my saying Ryan Fitzpatrick is a lousy quarterback makes me anti-Irish.
    You don't see any general trend here, also considering Trump's comments about Jon Stewart, his copying of neo-nazi memes, etc.?
  11. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    07 Nov '16 16:341 edit
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    You don't see any general trend here, also considering Trump's comments about Jon Stewart, his copying of neo-nazi memes, etc.?
    That's really overstating it. Given the volume and general thoughtlessness of Trump's tweeting, that he'd retweet one or two that originated in hate groups circles that agree with him on some point is not that surprising.

I'm not saying Trump isn't a general xenophobic racist misogynist who has the geopolitical understanding of an ice cream cone, but he doesn't at all strike me as an anti-Semite.
  12. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    07 Nov '16 16:36

Soros is a well-known dem operative and Yellin is merely a member of the executive administration being criticized. That they're Jews is beside the point. Calling that as anti- ...[text shortened]... nti-Semitic any more than my saying Ryan Fitzpatrick is a lousy quarterback makes me anti-Irish.
    It's the dog whistling to the conspiracy theory about international Jewish bankers which dates back to the Protocols of the Elders of Zion crap and has always been a populist theory which infects not just Trump's right wing constituencies but also even some populist left constituencies at least pre-60s. All three evil rich faces in the ad are Jewish. Attacking them as part of the Jewish world domination conspiracy is a common theme in the rust belt.

It's dangerous which is why the Anti-Defamation League called him on it. Of course, the ad is vague enough to give him plausible deniability even though Jewish activists are acutely aware of what he's playing into. He doesn't like being called on it, so he disputes the intent if not the effect.

An ADL statement doesn't help him in Florida of course.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-campaign-fires-back-adl-blasts-anti-semitic-imagery-trump-ad/
  13. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    07 Nov '16 16:37
    The ADL by the way, is hardly left wing.
  14. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    07 Nov '16 18:08
    And then there is this.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/scottie-nell-hughes-mazel-tov-cocktail
  15. Germany
    Moves
    07 Nov '16 19:36
    That's really overstating it. Given the volume and general thoughtlessness of Trump's tweeting, that he'd retweet one or two that originated in hate groups circles that agree with him on some point is not that surprising.

I'm not saying Trump isn't a general xenophobic racist misogynist who has the geopolitical understanding of an ice cream cone, but he doesn't at all strike me as an anti-Semite.
    I'll grant you that he is probably not as bigoted against Jews as he is against blacks or Latinos.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree