Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Standard memberLundos
    Back to basics
    About
    Joined
    11 Dec '04
    Moves
    68866
    26 Apr '17 15:381 edit
    Trump and his staff are on their way with a new tax plan.

    What should we expect from it?

    Personally I think this is why he entered politics, so I expect tax cuts for the wealthy and every corporate business model that Trump or his family have invested in or directly own.
  2. Standard memberLundos
    Back to basics
    About
    Joined
    11 Dec '04
    Moves
    68866
    26 Apr '17 15:43
    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/04/26/mnuchin-vows-biggest-tax-cut-in-us-history-confirms-plan-to-slash-corporate-rate.html

    From the article:
    "Mnuchin also said the administration wants to “do the whole thing,” and not pursue tax reform piece by piece. Amid concerns that such sweeping tax cuts would significantly reduce revenue for the government, he suggested economic growth will help pay for the plan."

    Hahaha. The 3% growth plan?

    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/25/us/politics/tax-plan-trump.html?_r=0

    From the article:
    "But Mr. Trump’s decision to extend the corporate tax cut to real estate conglomerates like his own will give Democrats a tailor-made line of attack."

    Here we go. Trump making Trump wealthy.
  3. Germany
    Joined
    27 Oct '08
    Moves
    3118
    26 Apr '17 15:52
    We should expect the same we've seen since Reagan and Thatcher: tax cuts for the wealthy funded by the next generation.
  4. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Joined
    22 Jun '04
    Moves
    39965
    26 Apr '17 19:47
    There were few details in the plan, but enough to know that it will save Trump and his family billions IF he's as rich as he claims to be.
  5. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Joined
    13 Apr '07
    Moves
    12727
    26 Apr '17 20:04
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    There were few details in the plan, but enough to know that it will save Trump and his family billions IF he's as rich as he claims to be.
    Hard to call it a "plan" without even saying what the income levels will be for the three brackets. Getting rid of ALL deductions besides mortgage interest and charitable contributions doesn't seem geared to help the super wealthy though.
  6. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Joined
    22 Jun '04
    Moves
    39965
    26 Apr '17 20:11
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    Hard to call it a "plan" without even saying what the income levels will be for the three brackets. Getting rid of ALL deductions besides mortgage interest and charitable contributions doesn't seem geared to help the super wealthy though.
    Getting rid of the estate tax, alternative minimum tax and making a maximum 15% tax on "pass through" income from businesses sure is.
  7. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Joined
    13 Apr '07
    Moves
    12727
    26 Apr '17 21:03
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Getting rid of the estate tax, alternative minimum tax and making a maximum 15% tax on "pass through" income from businesses sure is.
    Yep. Can't argue.

    Meanwhile the debt climbs. How are we not going to become Greece?
  8. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    26 Apr '17 21:28
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    Yep. Can't argue.

    Meanwhile the debt climbs. How are we not going to become Greece?
    I doubt you would ever become Greece. Now if China called in its debts, you might be headed that way, but lower taxes and higher debt? No, not Greece.
    The US can get itself out of debt any time it likes by simply cutting military spending.
  9. Behind the scenes
    Joined
    27 Jun '16
    Moves
    1406
    26 Apr '17 23:51
    Originally posted by Lundos
    Trump and his staff are on their way with a new tax plan.

    What should we expect from it?

    Personally I think this is why he entered politics, so I expect tax cuts for the wealthy and every corporate business model that Trump or his family have invested in or directly own.
    I've seen his tax plan. Typical GOP drivel. Massive tax cuts for the rich, a few crumbs for the working class, and no clue how to finance government operations with far less tax revenue coming in than before. Welcome to George W Bush reincarnated.
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35841
    27 Apr '17 04:53
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    We should expect the same we've seen since Reagan and Thatcher: tax cuts for the wealthy funded by the next generation.
    It's been proven time and again that 'trickle-down' just doesn't work. It ALWAYS gets hung up on the pockets of the wealthy.
  11. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Joined
    13 Apr '07
    Moves
    12727
    27 Apr '17 12:45
    Originally posted by mchill
    I've seen his tax plan. Typical GOP drivel. Massive tax cuts for the rich, a few crumbs for the working class, and no clue how to finance government operations with far less tax revenue coming in than before. Welcome to George W Bush reincarnated.
    For whatever it's worth, here's Mnuchin with Tucker Carlson yesterday claiming the following:

    "This is all about creating jobs and growing the economy, and on the personal side this is about tax simplification and about limiting deductions. So although the rate is coming down on the top end of 35 percent, there will be many many deductions gone. Matter of fact we will be taking all deductions out other than mortgage interest and charitable donations, and so effectively, the effective tax rate will not be a reduction for the rich."

    YouTube
  12. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Joined
    22 Jun '04
    Moves
    39965
    27 Apr '17 14:24
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    For whatever it's worth, here's Mnuchin with Tucker Carlson yesterday claiming the following:

    "This is all about creating jobs and growing the economy, and on the personal side this is about tax simplification and about limiting deductions. So although the rate is coming down on the top end of 35 percent, there will be many many deductions gone. Matt ...[text shortened]... x rate will not be a reduction for the rich."

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjNRxYdpmtQ
    Matter of fact we will be taking all deductions out other than mortgage interest and charitable donations,

    I wonder what will happen when people realize that would mean their contributions to 401(k)s and IRAs would no longer be tax deferred.

    Rate on a scale of 0-100 the percentage chance of such a plan being enacted this year.
  13. Germany
    Joined
    27 Oct '08
    Moves
    3118
    27 Apr '17 14:34
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    For whatever it's worth, here's Mnuchin with Tucker Carlson yesterday claiming the following:

    "This is all about creating jobs and growing the economy, and on the personal side this is about tax simplification and about limiting deductions. So although the rate is coming down on the top end of 35 percent, there will be many many deductions gone. Matt ...[text shortened]... x rate will not be a reduction for the rich."

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjNRxYdpmtQ
    No doubt fairies and unicorns will intervene to make sure the taxes of the 1% don't go down.
  14. Joined
    23 Nov '11
    Moves
    23118
    27 Apr '17 14:45
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    It's been proven time and again that 'trickle-down' just doesn't work. It ALWAYS gets hung up on the pockets of the wealthy.
    Trickle Down Economics is really Golden Showers Economics where the wealthy and powerful just piss all over the rest of us.
  15. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Joined
    13 Apr '07
    Moves
    12727
    27 Apr '17 15:051 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    [b]Matter of fact we will be taking all deductions out other than mortgage interest and charitable donations,

    I wonder what will happen when people realize that would mean their contributions to 401(k)s and IRAs would no longer be tax deferred.

    Rate on a scale of 0-100 the percentage chance of such a plan being enacted this year.[/b]
    Uh, yeah that's not going to happen.

    But doesn't this rhetoric sound a bit different than Bush's? I remember Bush's position being that of course rich people were going to get the biggest benefit of a tax cut because they are the ones paying the most taxes. Mnuchin's singing a different tune. Isn't that a not so subtle shift in the culture war that progressives can be happy about?
Back to Top