1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    02 Nov '17 12:331 edit
    Not many may know this, but Trump started his own football league years ago to compete with the NFL. Trump then sued the NFL for being a monopoly. He won, but the courts only awarded him a dollar.

How does that work exactly? It is though the courts were acknowledging the fact that the NFL was a monopoly, but saying they will do nothing about it so screw you.

Is this justice?
  2. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    05 Nov '17 05:401 edit
    Originally posted by @whodey
    Not many may know this, but Trump started his own football league years ago to compete with the NFL. Trump then sued the NFL for being a monopoly. He won, but the courts only awarded him a dollar.

How does that work exactly? It is though the courts were acknowledging the fact that the NFL was a monopoly, but saying they will do nothing about it so screw you.

Is this justice?
    Whodey, you're not getting this. Let me explain it to you. Trump's little dust up with the NFL players and their kneeling is not something he really cares about, it's just another "shiny object" he throws out there to divert attention away from the fact that his administration is not as squeaky clean on this Russia matter as he would have you believe, and Mr. Mueller is going to hand him his a__ on a plate! It's the same with his silly comments about Hillary Clinton. I could make it more simple for you Whodey, except I'd need puppets and crayons. 😛
  3. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    05 Nov '17 06:15
    Originally posted by @whodey

Is this justice?
    Virtually this entire post is inaccurate. Trump didn't start the USFL and wasn't even one of its original owners. He brought the New Jersey Generals in 1984 after they had already played one season. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Jersey_Generals

As for the lawsuit, it was not brought by Trump himself but by the USFL. A full description of the jury's verdict is here: http://www.nytimes.com/1986/07/30/sports/usfl-loses-in-antitrust-case-jury-assigns-just-1-in-damages.html

The short version is that the jury found that the NFL had violated one section of antitrust law but found that the USFL was not damaged by this violation and awarded nominal damages of $1 (the damages were tripled under antitrust law and interest was also awarded so the USFL pocketed $3.76). The USFL's own mismanagement and idiotic decision to go head to head against the NFL in the fall rather than stick with a spring schedule as originally intended and done for their first three seasons, doomed it. Needless to say one of the idiots who insisted on that suicidal course was Donald Trump:

1984 – As an investor in the United States Football League, Trump not only bought the New Jersey Generals franchise, but pushed the league hard to adopt a fall schedule and go head-to-head with the NFL. Trump also led an owners group in an antitrust lawsuit against the NFL, seeking $1.7 billion. His group won the suit, but was only awarded $1, which was a death sentence for the league.

http://fortune.com/2017/09/25/donald-trump-attack-nfl/
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 Nov '17 23:26
    Originally posted by @no1marauder
    Virtually this entire post is inaccurate. Trump didn't start the USFL and wasn't even one of its original owners. He brought the New Jersey Generals in 1984 after they had already played one season. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Jersey_Generals

As for the lawsuit, it was not brought by Trump himself but by the USFL. A full description of the jury ...[text shortened]... h was a death sentence for the league.

http://fortune.com/2017/09/25/donald-trump-attack-nfl/
    How can one have a monopoly but not cause injury to competitors?
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 Nov '17 23:28
    Originally posted by @mchill
    Whodey, you're not getting this. Let me explain it to you. Trump's little dust up with the NFL players and their kneeling is not something he really cares about, it's just another "shiny object" he throws out there to divert attention away from the fact that his administration is not as squeaky clean on this Russia matter as he would have you believe, and Mr ...[text shortened]... ry Clinton. I could make it more simple for you Whodey, except I'd need puppets and crayons. 😛
    My point is that there is bad blood between Trump and the NFL.

Then the NFL decided to take a political stand against Trump.

Now they must deal with the consequences.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree