1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Nov '09 00:48
    BBC: 'Twin Towers' warship in New York

A warship built with steel salvaged from the World Trade Center arrives in New York, the city after which it was named.

Does the nature of this warship's construction get unanimous support among Americans?
  2. Standard membersmw6869
    Granny
    Parts Unknown
    Moves
    03 Nov '09 00:55
    Originally posted by FMF
    BBC: [b]'Twin Towers' warship in New York

A warship built with steel salvaged from the World Trade Center arrives in New York, the city after which it was named.

Does the nature of this warship's construction get unanimous support among Americans?[/b]
    Believe it or not, Activia really does work on constipation.

GRANNY.
  3. silicon valley
    Moves
    03 Nov '09 01:08
    he could just get a case of crispbread at his local IKEA. that should do it.
  4. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    03 Nov '09 01:44
    I like it!
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Nov '09 01:59
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    I like it!
    Would you say the sentiment is more or less unanimous in the U.S.?
  6. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    03 Nov '09 02:12
    Originally posted by FMF

Does the nature of this warship's construction get unanimous support among Americans?[/b]
    What's the big deal? It's just a little tribute.

Do you mean because it somehow symbolizes that there needs to be fighting or war to vindicate the victims of 9/11? If so, I don't look at it that way. Navy ships can be used for peaceful purposes. The ships that the government builds are generally "war" ships. Don't read too much into this. It's just a little symbolism.

Oh... and NOTHING gets unanimous support among Americans.
  7. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    03 Nov '09 02:12
    Originally posted by FMF
    Would you say the sentiment is more or less unanimous in the U.S.?
    I would say most people in the US have no idea this thing exists. Probably the more pacifistic lefties might disapprove.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Nov '09 02:27
    Originally posted by sh76
    Do you mean because it somehow symbolizes that there needs to be fighting or war to vindicate the victims of 9/11?
    No. It was actually a comment from my old-fashioned mother on the phone. She's a supporter of U.S. actions since 9/11. She just mentioned in passing that she thought it was 'creepy' and not the kind of memorial gesture she approves of. It struck me as an interesting thought. And I wondered if there were older, more traditional people in America who, while "patriotic" and angry, nevertheless thought - like my mum - that the ship thing was kind of contrived and ostentatious, and not really respectful of the dead. I'm not sure what to think actually but my mum's point of view pricked my curiosity.
  9. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    03 Nov '09 03:201 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    No. It was actually a comment from my old-fashioned mother on the phone. She's a supporter of U.S. actions since 9/11. She just mentioned in passing that she thought it was 'creepy' and not the kind of memorial gesture she approves of. It struck me as an interesting thought. And I wondered if there were older, more traditional people in America who, while "patri ead. I'm not sure what to think actually but my mum's point of view pricked my curiosity.
    Oh; okay. I didn't think of it that way.

I could see how people could view it as a bit creepy. Like using a coffin's wood to build a chair or something.

Still, I don't think it was meant like that. The WTC had a LOT of metal; too much, I think, to be considered one big coffin.

I'm sure there are some people in the US who disapprove of pretty much anything, but I haven't heard any opposition in the media.
  10. silicon valley
    Moves
    03 Nov '09 07:32
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    I would say most people in the US have no idea this thing exists. Probably the more pacifistic lefties might disapprove.
    c'mon. it was at the top of google news today.
  11. silicon valley
    Moves
    03 Nov '09 07:33
    Oh; okay. I didn't think of it that way.

I could see how people could view it as a bit creepy. Like using a coffin's wood to build a chair or something.

Still, I don't think it was meant like that. The WTC had a LOT of metal; too much, I think, to be considered one big coffin.

I'm sure there are some people in the US who disapprove of pretty much anything, but I haven't heard any opposition in the media.
    we're not going to eat off of it!
  12. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    03 Nov '09 07:40
    Oh... and NOTHING gets unanimous support among Americans.
    Not even chili cheese freedom fries topped with ranch dressing and bacon bits?
  13. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    03 Nov '09 13:34
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    c'mon. it was at the top of google news today.
    must have been a REALLY slow news day.
  14. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    03 Nov '09 13:48
    Originally posted by FMF

One can only hope the ship's better constructed than the bloody buildings the material was first used in.
  15. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    03 Nov '09 14:22
    Originally posted by Seitse
    Not even chili cheese freedom fries topped with ranch dressing and bacon bits?
    LOL

Throw in a veal patty and a lion kebab and you've got the most offensive meal possible.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree