1. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    14 Mar '10 01:451 edit
    http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2010/03/us-and-uk-redistricting-processes.html

In this article, the great Nate Silver alleges that, while political gerrymandering in the US is ridiculous enough, in the UK, the gerrymandering system works primarily against the Conservatives (whereas in the US, each state controls its districts, thereby allowing partisan states' representation in Congress to simply be more partisan).

I wonder if any of our British contributors would care to defend (or attack, for that matter) this system.

We hear constant criticism about the US electoral college system, which produced an anomalous result only once in recent history; and a very small anomalous result at that. The British system seems to be significantly worse.
  2. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    14 Mar '10 02:04
    Originally posted by sh76
    http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2010/03/us-and-uk-redistricting-processes.html

In this article, the great Nate Silver alleges that, while political gerrymandering in the US is ridiculous enough, in the UK, the gerrymandering system works primarily against the Conservatives (whereas in the US, each state controls its districts, thereby allowing partisan states ...[text shortened]... and a very small anomalous result at that. The British system seems to be significantly worse.
    I fail to see how a system that hurts conservatives could be worse.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Mar '10 02:06
    Originally posted by sh76
    The British system seems to be significantly worse.
    I reckon you won't find too many Britons who support - or who are very enthusiastic about - their country's first past the winning post system. As for gerrymandering, I don't think the U.K. has any bizarrely shaped constituencies like there are so many of in the U.S. but I am happy to be set straight on this.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree