1. Joined
    09 Mar '09
    Moves
    16 Dec '09 17:03
    Yes, to make it more convenient for business & as the Euro-zone has higher growth .... we're going to join!

I'd like to see this happen. The line was always 'when economic criteria is met' I'm not sure what these are ... but have found a 5 year Euro v Pound graph

http://www.advfn.com/p.php?pid=qkchart&symbol=FX^GBPEUR
    (adjust the tab)

Overall they're getting close, with more 'fiscal stimulus' I guess the pound could fall further.

This is my simple argument why: If you think of a shopping center, the floors are kept as flat as possible so you watch the shelves rather then your step.. I think the step / hurdle of currency conversion are holding back British business in Europe.. The Euro countries are seeing higher growth. I think because its easier for businesses to find there customers.

Any thoughts ?
  2. Joined
    09 Mar '09
    Moves
    17 Dec '09 15:41
    The country is lacking good ideas to take it forward.

there are 3 basic ways i see

1 > Join Euro
    2 > Be part of European Defense force.. not act like the mouse that roars
    3 > Proportional Representation ... get rid of the cobwebs in English politics

I think the economic case is if we don't join soon the pound will be worthless when we do.
  3. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    17 Dec '09 15:53
    Originally posted by Black Star Uchess
    Yes, to make it more convenient for business & as the Euro-zone has higher growth .... we're going to join!

I'd like to see this happen. The line was always 'when economic criteria is met' I'm not sure what these are ... but have found a 5 year Euro v Pound graph

(adjust the tab)

Ov ...[text shortened]... I think because its easier for businesses to find there customers.

Any thoughts ?
    Do you have a link to this news, I can't find it on the BBC website.
  4. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    17 Dec '09 16:55
    Next up, the US joins the EU we're a few steps away from a World Order.

The (US & UK) + the EU = tyranically rule the world!

Muahahhahahahahahhahahahha
  5. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    17 Dec '09 17:08
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    Next up, the US joins the EU we're a few steps away from a World Order.

The (US & UK) + the EU = tyranically rule the world!

Muahahhahahahahahhahahahha
    Indeed...this is another step down the tinfoil slope to One World Currency. Be very afraid.
  6. silicon valley
    Moves
    17 Dec '09 17:10
    better start picking a name for your new French province.

(JK .... i think the new world order is a good idea .... as long as the stupid greenies don't take it over and run it into the ground ...)
  7. Joined
    09 Mar '09
    Moves
    17 Dec '09 18:00
    Its not about a single world currency. Its about the UK joining in the 30+ other countries all trading in the Euro on there doorstep... if you wanted to start a business would you pick the pound ... where you have England ... Scotland & Wales ( who mostly want independence anyway) or pick the Euro with 30 odd countries all trading in the same currency. I think to some extent faith in our US relations hold this back.. but the UK is a stronger allie in growth then it is in recession. I'm sure they could put the queens head on the English euros to keep the nationalist happy.
  8. silicon valley
    Moves
    17 Dec '09 18:04
    let's have a World Union instead of a European Union.
  9. Joined
    09 Mar '09
    Moves
    17 Dec '09 18:191 edit
    No ones thinks the US will be joining anytime soon. the UKs position is a bit like Wyoming trying to have a separate currency from the US
  10. Pepperland
    Moves
    17 Dec '09 18:51

(adjust the tab)

Ov ...[text shortened]... I think because its easier for businesses to find there customers.

Any thoughts ?
    I don't understand why the british have been so reluctant to adopt the euro until recently, is it very important to have the queen's head on the money?
  11. Germany
    Moves
    17 Dec '09 19:03
    Its not about a single world currency. Its about the UK joining in the 30+ other countries all trading in the Euro on there doorstep... if you wanted to start a business would you pick the pound ... where you have England ... Scotland & Wales ( who mostly want independence anyway) or pick the Euro with 30 odd countries all trading in the same curre ...[text shortened]... on. I'm sure they could put the queens head on the English euros to keep the nationalist happy.
    There are only 16 countries who officially use the euro. But of course it would be good for the UK if they joined as well, but my guess is a majority of the population would oppose it so it would require a courageous government.
  12. Germany
    Moves
    17 Dec '09 19:041 edit
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    I don't understand why the british have been so reluctant to adopt the euro until recently, is it very important to have the queen's head on the money?
    The queen's head will still be on the money, there are seperate coin versions for each eurozone member (the notes are all the same).
  13. Joined
    09 Mar '09
    Moves
    17 Dec '09 19:052 edits
    16 ... oops .. yes I do think putting the queens head on it would be a good compromise.
  14. Joined
    18 May '09
    Moves
    18 Dec '09 23:05
    The country is lacking good ideas to take it forward.

there are 3 basic ways i see

1 > Join Euro
    2 > Be part of European Defense force.. not act like the mouse that roars
    3 > Proportional Representation ... get rid of the cobwebs in English politics

I think the economic case is if we don't join soon the pound will be worthless when we do.
    The main reason why the value of the pound has sunk so low is Brown's reckless spending spree over the last decade.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Dec '09 23:18

(adjust the tab)

Any thoughts ?
    yes it shall be great, it means that every time i am forced to go south of the border i shall not need to change my currency, which even though it is sterling has been refused and queried on more than one occasion!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree