UK-US special relationship 'over'

UK-US special relationship 'over'

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
28 Mar 10
1 edit

The UK government needs to be "less deferential" towards the US and more willing to say no to Washington, a group of MPs have said.

The Commons Foreign Affairs committee also said it was wrong to speak of "the special relationship" with the US, as it was fostering other alliances.

However, the MPs did agree that the link between the countries was "profound and valuable".

The Foreign Office said the two nations share a "unique" bond.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/low/uk_news/8590767.stm

The debate topics:

To what extent is this 'special relationship' real and to what extent is it a malleable and lopsided figment of geopolitical rhetoric?

What have been its advantages and disadvantages to both sides?

Is it 'over' or has it got legs yet?

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
28 Mar 10

Originally posted by FMF
[quote]The UK government needs to be "less deferential" towards the US and more willing to say no to Washington, a group of MPs have said.

The Commons Foreign Affairs committee also said it was wrong to speak of "the special relationship" with the US, as it was fostering other alliances.

However, the MPs did agree that the link between the countries was "p ...[text shortened]... advantages and disadvantages to both sides?

To what extent is this 'special relationship' real and to what extent is it a malleable and lopsided figment of geopolitical rhetoric?

The former: none

The latter: all

The US allies itself with the UK to the extent it deems so to be to its advantage and vice versa. Assuming anything else is naive. "Special relationship" is sentimental nonsense... bunkum for the masses.

To the extent that it's in the countries' best interest to cooperate (which is usually is), they will. To the extent it's not in the countries' best interest to cooperate, they never have and won't start. Tony Blair didn't play Bush lapdog because of a special relationship. He did so because he thought it was in the UK's best interest to play Bush lapdog. In general, the UK tends to defer to the big boys in recent years.

Naturally, the US and UK are going to remain allies. Being of similar ethnic makeup and of similar economic and social philosophy, that would tend to happen naturally. But that's about the extent of it. The "special relationship" didn't save the Brits from US excoriation in 1956 and the "special relationship" didn't make the UK boycott the Moscow Olympics in 1980.

Blade Runner

Republicants

Moves
28 Mar 10
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF

What he said --> Originally posted by sh76

STS

Moves
28 Mar 10

Oh yeah? Well we beat the English in WW1 an WW2 an we can do it again if they get uppity.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
28 Mar 10

Originally posted by Sam The Sham
Oh yeah? Well we beat the English in WW1 an WW2 an we can do it again if they get uppity.
????????????????????????????????????????

silicon valley

Moves
28 Mar 10

Originally posted by FMF
[quote]The UK government needs to be "less deferential" towards the US and more willing to say no to Washington, a group of MPs have said.

However, the MPs did agree that the link between the countries was "p ...[text shortened]... advantages and disadvantages to both sides?

hold on a sec ... are y'all still P'O'd about that DVD set?

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
28 Mar 10

Good! The "West vs East vs Middle East" thing was getting old...and dangerous.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
28 Mar 10
1 edit

It can be reinstated later if need be. It will never go away, just as Latin America will always have ties to Spain and Portugal.

rc

Moves
28 Mar 10
1 edit

i bought a pair of training shoes yesterday, 'sneakers', you guys call them, to cement the relationship. A fine pair of Adidas superstar II metallic silver retro basketball shoes. The fact that i could buy them from the Sates and have them shipped to the U.K. cheaper than i can get them from a retailer here is a matter of wonderment. Long live America 🙂

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
28 Mar 10
1 edit

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
i bought a pair of training shoes yesterday, 'sneakers', you guys call them, to cement the relationship. A fine pair of Adidas superstar II metallic silver retro basketball shoes. The fact that i could buy them from the Sates and have them shipped to the U.K. cheaper than i can get them from a retailer here is a matter of wonderment. Long live America 🙂
Hey! We're officially not friends any more! Take those sneakers off, limey!

Wait, are Scots considered limeys?

HG

Moves
28 Mar 10

Made in China?

rc

Moves
28 Mar 10

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
Hey! We're officially not friends any more! Take those sneakers off, limey!

Wait, are Scots considered limeys?
No way, you owe us big time!

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
28 Mar 10

No way, you owe us big time!
You're a traitor to the Celtic ethnicity, Scot! Sold your souls to the English devil and decided to turn against your own kin in Ireland!

rc

Moves
28 Mar 10
1 edit

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
You're a traitor to the Celtic ethnicity, Scot! Sold your souls to the English devil and decided to turn against your own kin in Ireland!
what are you talking about? It was the nobility that sold us down the swanny without a paddle, that is why we were shipped off in droves, from farms and villages where we had lived for generations to make way for more profitable sheep farming. You may traverse the highlands to this day and the little houses and villages are still extant and deserted! I myself am both Scots and Irish, my grandfathers having come from Donegal to stave off famine but three generations ago, my mother bearing the name MacGregor, a name not to be taken upon the lips, lightly!

rc

Moves
28 Mar 10

Originally posted by Hugh Glass
Made in China?
I honestly dont know where they are made Hugh, i would not be surprised. I did think Adidas were made in Bulgaria or Hungry but i could be wrong.