1. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    17 Oct '19 18:14
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/venezuela-un-human-rights-council-seat-vote-united-nations-general-assembly-a9160366.html

Venezuela has won a seat on the UN Human Rights Council after a vote by the General Assembly.

Yes, that's right, folks.

Nicolas Maduro‘s government will now be "responsible for the promotion and protection of all human rights around the globe."

But hey, thankfully such human rights stalwarts as Saudi Arabia and Afghanistan are still on the council to help out.
  2. Germany
    Moves
    17 Oct '19 18:18
    Well, it's the United Nations, not the Nordic Council.
  3. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    17 Oct '19 21:44
    @sh76 said
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/venezuela-un-human-rights-council-seat-vote-united-nations-general-assembly-a9160366.html

Venezuela has won a seat on the UN Human Rights Council after a vote by the General Assembly.

Nicolas Maduro‘s government will now be "responsible for the promotion and protection of all human rights aroun ...[text shortened]... ly such human rights stalwarts as Saudi Arabia and Afghanistan are still on the council to help out.
    I'm not very happy about this either, but where does one draw the line?
  4. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    17 Oct '19 22:441 edit
    @mchill said
    I'm not very happy about this either, but where does one draw the line?
    There's no inherent line to be drawn. But that enough members of the GA thought that the Maduro government is worthy of a spot on the Human Rights Council speaks volumes.

If you ask me what I think is *really* at play, I think it's that enough countries hate Trump and/or the United States enough to cast their votes in a manner specifically calculated to embarrass Trump and/or the United States... and that virtually nobody takes the HRC seriously anyway.
  5. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    18 Oct '19 03:31
    @sh76 said
    There's no inherent line to be drawn. But that enough members of the GA thought that the Maduro government is worthy of a spot on the Human Rights Council speaks volumes.

If you ask me what I think is *really* at play, I think it's that enough countries hate Trump and/or the United States enough to cast their votes in a manner specifically calculated to embarrass Trump and/or the United States... and that virtually nobody takes the HRC seriously anyway.
    Maybe by giving them responsibility, they’ll step up to the plate and try to be better?

It works on a human level, perhaps it will work on a national level?

That being said, I certainly wouldn’t endorse the choice without knowing more about the reasoning.
  6. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    18 Oct '19 03:40
    @sh76 said
    You don't need to do any calculations to embarrass Trump. In fact if you handed him a calculator in a sesame seed bun he'd likely eat it.
  7. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    18 Oct '19 09:022 edits
    @sh76 said

Nicolas Maduro‘s government will now be "responsible for the promotion and protection of all human rights aroun ...[text shortened]... ly such human rights stalwarts as Saudi Arabia and Afghanistan are still on the council to help out.
    Maybe people heard the "Election Process in Venezuela is the Best in the World". That is what Jimmy Carter said.

YouTube

YouTube&t=17s

Comparing Venezuela's human rights record with Saudi Arabia is irresponsible. There is no comparison that is justified.
  8. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    18 Oct '19 15:17
    @shavixmir said
    Maybe by giving them responsibility, they’ll step up to the plate and try to be better?
    They use that tactic a lot in elementary school, but not that often in international diplomacy.
  9. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    18 Oct '19 15:191 edit
    @metal-brain said
    Comparing Venezuela's human rights record with Saudi Arabia is irresponsible. There is no comparison that is justified.
    You're right.

Saudi Arabia has not been credibly accused of having engaged in Maduro-level brutality.

https://www.hrw.org/report/2017/11/29/crackdown-dissent/brutality-torture-and-political-persecution-venezuela
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    18 Oct '19 15:311 edit
    @sh76 said

That's nothing, Lebron and the NBA say they want China to head the Human Rights Council.

You have to understand that Venezuela is a Left wing darling, so as such, they get a free pass for pretty much anything and everything.

Meanwhile, the Cheeto is Hitler.
  11. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    18 Oct '19 15:44
    @whodey said
    That's nothing, Lebron and the NBA say they want China to head the Human Rights Council.

You have to understand that Venezuela is a Left wing darling, so as such, they get a free pass for pretty much anything and everything.

Meanwhile, the Cheeto is Hitler.
    The Cheeto is not Hitler. He may not even be fundamentally such a bad person.

But he is an arrogant buffoon with no use for the rule of law or behavioral norms. He shouldn't be President and I think you know that.

Really, whodey. Let's go support Bill Weld or Joe Walsh to primary the dim-wit. You like Bill Weld or Joe Walsh, don't you?
  12. Germany
    Moves
    18 Oct '19 15:58
    @sh76 said

It's the General Assembly of the United Nations. A few of its members have a poor human rights record, some a terrible one and most a horrible one. What were you expecting?
  13. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    18 Oct '19 16:02
    @kazetnagorra said
    It's the General Assembly of the United Nations. A few of its members have a poor human rights record, some a terrible one and most a horrible one. What were you expecting?
    Oh, I wasn't expecting anything better.
  14. Germany
    Moves
    18 Oct '19 16:05
    @sh76 said
    Oh, I wasn't expecting anything better.
    Just a whodey-style "UN bad"-thread, then?
  15. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    18 Oct '19 16:07
    @kazetnagorra said
    Just a whodey-style "UN bad"-thread, then?
    Ummm. Yeah. I started a thread to criticize an institution by pointing out another incidence of its misconduct.

That's never been done on this board by anyone but whodey.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree