1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    18 Oct '19 16:22
    @sh76 said
    Oh, I wasn't expecting anything better.
    The problem seems largely because no other country in Latin America wanted it. The only other candidates were Brazil, who's President has endorsed extrajudicial killings by police and justified the prior torture and repression of that country's prior military dictators, and Costa Rica, which only declared its candidacy a few weeks ago. The latter's decision was a direct challenge to the the Group of Latin America and the Caribbean (GRULAC) nations' prior agreement to support Brazil and Venezuela for the two Latin America seats on the HRC made two years ago. https://intpolicydigest.org/2019/10/17/costa-rica-bids-for-the-human-rights-council/

It's quite possible that some member nations in Latin America voted for Venezuela to honor the GRULAC agreement even though most now don't recognize Maduro as a legitimate President. The vote between Venezuela and Costa Rica was pretty close: Brazil 153, Venezuela 105, Costa Rica 96, so that may have been a deciding factor. Of course, some nations may have believed that Costa Rica's late decision to contest the seat was done at the US' bidding and decided to stick a thumb in the Trump's administration's eye but that doesn't seem to have been as important as you believe.
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    18 Oct '19 17:37
    @sh76 said
    The Cheeto is not Hitler. He may not even be fundamentally such a bad person.

But he is an arrogant buffoon with no use for the rule of law or behavioral norms. He shouldn't be President and I think you know that.

Really, whodey. Let's go support Bill Weld or Joe Walsh to primary the dim-wit. You like Bill Weld or Joe Walsh, don't you?
    The economy is booming and the US foreign policy is far better than the Obama/Hillary fiasco.

As to whether his "norms" are not to your liking and ignoring the lawless activities of Obama and company that you nor the press called them on, I question the for mentioned concern with obeying the rule of law.

Having said that, what laws do you think Trump has broken?
  3. Germany
    Moves
    18 Oct '19 17:49
    @sh76 said
    Ummm. Yeah. I started a thread to criticize an institution by pointing out another incidence of its misconduct.

That's never been done on this board by anyone but whodey.
    Like whodey, you're missing the point about what the UN is. It's a diplomatic forum for representatives of nation states to figure out their issues with words, not weapons, and a vehicle for handling a few issues of global importance, like peacekeeping missions and cultural heritage. If you want insights into superior morality, read my posts, not the musings of a few flunkies of dubious regimes. Even among the founding members of the UN you can find the likes of the Soviet Union, China, Saudi Arabia, South Africa and the United States.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    18 Oct '19 17:552 edits
    @kazetnagorra said
    Like whodey, you're missing the point about what the UN is. It's a diplomatic forum for representatives of nation states to figure out their issues with words, not weapons, and a vehicle for handling a few issues of global importance, like peacekeeping missions and cultural heritage. If you want insights into superior morality, read my posts, not the musings of a few flu ...[text shortened]... you can find the likes of the Soviet Union, China, Saudi Arabia, South Africa and the United States.
    No, you are missing the whole point to the UN.

The point of the UN is to basically ignore genocides around the world like we saw in the Sudan and Syria while writing a gazillion resolutions against Israel for building evil walls like Trump.

It's not rocket science.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Oct '19 17:561 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

6. Germany
    Moves
    18 Oct '19 18:01
    @whodey said
    The economy is booming and the US foreign policy is far better than the Obama/Hillary fiasco.
    Also, Trump has yuuuge hands, the biggest brain and writes the most beautiful letters.
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    18 Oct '19 18:02
    @kazetnagorra said
    Also, Trump has yuuuge hands, the biggest brain and writes the most beautiful letters.
    Yes, in a bigly way.

What's it to ya?
  8. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    18 Oct '19 22:56
    @sh76 said
    You're right.

Saudi Arabia has not been credibly accused of having engaged in Maduro-level brutality.

https://www.hrw.org/report/2017/11/29/crackdown-dissent/brutality-torture-and-political-persecution-venezuela
    Is our country any better?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kent_State_shootings

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree