1. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    01 Nov '17 10:531 edit
    Originally posted by @kmax87
    Silly me, I'm still thinking like someone trapped inside a neo-con frame where welfare is always cast as a great priveledge and not a right. As a consequence of that way of thinking, its almost a reflex to justify any payment government gives out and be on the defensive lest anyone should say that the person receiving this benefit will become a lzy good for nothing sponge.
    A right is the sovereignty to act without the permission of others. You might like to call welfare a great 'privelege' (sic), a medium privilege, a minor privilege a minor medium major privilege or something else, but welfare will never be a right.

That's nothing to do with ne0-con whatever.
  2. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    01 Nov '17 11:02
    Originally posted by @wajoma
    A right is the sovereignty to act without the permission of others. You might like to call welfare a great 'privelege' (sic), a medium privilege, a minor privilege a minor medium major privilege or something else, but welfare will never be a right.

I'm sick of you not knowing what "sic" means.
    Get an education.
    Read.
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    01 Nov '17 11:04
    Originally posted by @mchill
    .., despite assigning little or no homework. Maybe the rest of the world should take notice.
    It has been known for years that homework does not help academic achievement.
    Schools provide homework for the benefit of parents.
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    01 Nov '17 11:07

A government can bestow a right on its citizens.
    For instance the right of a state pension.
    Or the right of free use of highways.

The "permission" is inherent in the right.
  5. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    01 Nov '17 11:12
    Originally posted by @wolfgang59
    A government can bestow a right on its citizens.
    For instance the right of a state pension.
    Or the right of free use of highways.

The "permission" is inherent in the right.
    If it 'permission' {sic} is granted then it can as easily be rescinded, thus, not a right.
  6. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    01 Nov '17 11:45
    A right is the sovereignty to act without the permission of others. ....That's nothing to do with ne0-con whatever.
    keep taking the blue pills.
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    01 Nov '17 12:06
    Apparently in your fantasy the poor and dispossessed, y'know the huddled masses and such, should just take a number while you enjoy the spoils of a system that is systematically bankrupting and destroying the economy and ecology of the world around it.
    Well I object to the discrimination of having to actually cross the border to collect my money.

After all, I'm poor and oppressed by the Trump administration who won't give me the air fare to the said country.

Hell, just the passport alone is worth hundreds of dollars which amounts to a poll tax.

Resist!
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    01 Nov '17 12:341 edit
    Silly me, I'm still thinking like someone trapped inside a neo-con frame where welfare is always cast as a great priveledge and not a right. As a consequence of that way of thinking, its almost a reflex to justify any payment government gives out and be on the defensive lest anyone should say that the person receiving this benefit will become a lzy good for nothing sponge.
    God forbid that person may use the money to get an education and then a good paying job....That would work out for everyone since, say he keeps getting 4 bills a month, his high pay puts him in a tax bracket that will more than cover the money he gets from the government.

I take in about 85K before taxes and I end up in about the 13% tax bracket here in the US so I am paying 9K or more in income taxes. 400 a month, if I was receiving that from the government, would be paid back two times over since my tax bill would come out to 900 bucks a month or thereabouts.
  9. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    01 Nov '17 14:351 edit
    Järvinen likes free money. He dosen't know what it measures.

Järvinen dosen't want to know where the free money came from because that's hard on ones conscience.

Järvinen wants free money.

End of story.
    So you tell us where you think money comes from then.

When a bank issues a loan secured on a house, or a loan to a business, or a personal loan for consumer spending, where does the bank get the cash from?

Then tell us where you think the money came from for quantitative easing.
  10. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    01 Nov '17 14:58

My ideals: That man has a right to live his life free from force, threats of force and fraud. I fully concede it will be no utopia.

From your recent post to me in another thread. Usually you avoid referring to rights, and instead appeal to "freedoms" - a phrasing that presumably feels more comfortable to your mind. Yet your so called "libertarian" philosophy amounts to nothing other than the free market ideology which is entirely constructed around exaggerated notions of property rights, assembled in a sophisticated way by writers like - classically - John Locke so that its advocates have a clever answer to every argument [not a valid one, just clever]. I know you like to appeal to ignorance to pretend that you have no connection with the world of ideas but that is just your stupidity.

Your thinking is soaked in rights.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree