Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Mr. Wolf
    at home
    Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    45641
    28 Dec '17 05:10
    http://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-europe-42462190/fake-news-blunder-from-us-envoy-to-the-netherlands

    Bare-faced liar.
    Must have been personally appointed by Mr Fake-News himself.

    Stuff like this is destroying confidence in America.
  2. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Joined
    31 Jan '04
    Moves
    56240
    28 Dec '17 05:22
    Yeah... I’d already mentioned this.... see fake news xl (I bumped it, cause I’m too drunk to link it)!!
  3. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    7276
    28 Dec '17 15:03
    Originally posted by @wolfgang59
    http://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-europe-42462190/fake-news-blunder-from-us-envoy-to-the-netherlands

    Bare-faced liar.
    Must have been personally appointed by Mr Fake-News himself.

    Stuff like this is destroying confidence in America.
    Well... it's confirming that the long established lack of confidence in the USA is well-founded. But otherwise, yeah, he's in for a fun time. Our darling PM Rutte suffers fools gladly - well, he'd better, how else is he going to live with himself? - but the people and much of the journaille do not.
  4. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Joined
    08 Mar '11
    Moves
    9780
    28 Dec '17 15:38
    Quite telling that the administration calling everything that disagrees with it "fake news" is most guilty of spreading it.
  5. Germany
    Joined
    27 Oct '08
    Moves
    3118
    28 Dec '17 16:06
    Originally posted by @shallow-blue
    Well... it's confirming that the long established lack of confidence in the USA is well-founded. But otherwise, yeah, he's in for a fun time. Our darling PM Rutte suffers fools gladly - well, he'd better, how else is he going to live with himself? - but the people and much of the journaille do not.
    He even tried to pull an American-style faux apology (tinged with plastic patriotism) in the vain hope that it would make a difference. You should look it up, it's toe-curlingly cringeworthy.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52849
    28 Dec '17 17:46
    Originally posted by @wolfgang59
    http://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-europe-42462190/fake-news-blunder-from-us-envoy-to-the-netherlands

    Bare-faced liar.
    Must have been personally appointed by Mr Fake-News himself.

    Stuff like this is destroying confidence in America.
    What you are witnessing is the fall of the US empire. It happens to ALL empires and the US is no exception. Another 20 years we will just be one of the boys. China will overtake us in many sectors, science, finance, political power and the assswipe Trump will just be sucking his thumb in bewilderment, 'what the hell just happened'?
  7. Zugzwang
    Joined
    08 Jun '07
    Moves
    2120
    28 Dec '17 19:241 edit
    Originally posted by @sonhouse to Wolfgang59
    What you are witnessing is the fall of the US empire. It happens to ALL empires and the US is no exception. Another 20 years we will just be one of the boys. China will overtake us in many sectors, science, finance, political power and the assswipe Trump will just be sucking his thumb in bewilderment, 'what the hell just happened'?
    "Another 20 years we will just be one of the boys. China will overtake us [USA] in many
    sectors, science, finance, political power..."
    --Sonhouse

    China has many of its own major problems. I doubt that China will eclipse the USA in power within only 20 years.
    China's rise should invoke some uncomfortable questions for most Americans about their
    traditional (now largely implicit) beliefs in white supremacy, yet I suspect that few Americans
    can muster up the intellectual honesty to face the real reasons for the USA's decline in power.

    In reality, the USA did not become the world's leading power in science and technology
    until the mid-20th century. (Germany and even the UK were ahead of the USA in many fields.)
    US science and technology acquired invaluable benefits from the influx of top scientists
    and engineers fleeing from persecution, revolutions, and wars in Europe and Asia.
    The USA has been living off this 'windfall' inheritance of talent ever since. Given the
    dominant anti-intellectual American culture, the USA has not been remarkably successful
    at developing its own native scientific and engineering talent (outside Asian American communities).
    Now that economic conditions and professional opportunities have improved outside the USA,
    however, the best foreign students don't necessarily wish to remain to work in the USA.
  8. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    7276
    28 Dec '17 21:07
    Originally posted by @kazetnagorra
    He even tried to pull an American-style faux apology (tinged with plastic patriotism) in the vain hope that it would make a difference. You should look it up, it's toe-curlingly cringeworthy.
    Yeah, obviously both too stupid and too insular to realise that that kind of superficiality doesn't wash with a more sophisticated, continental (!) European audience. He's going to be a whipping boy, all right.
  9. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    7276
    28 Dec '17 21:11
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    What you are witnessing is the fall of the US empire. It happens to ALL empires and the US is no exception. Another 20 years we will just be one of the boys. China will overtake us in many sectors, science, finance, political power and the assswipe Trump will just be sucking his thumb in bewilderment, 'what the hell just happened'?
    Well, except that the Han Empire is itself already a thing centuries past. India, maybe? But no. The next empire will not be a national, but a commercial one - GoogleTesla, I'd wager - and I do not want to be here for its Mammonic hegemony.
Back to Top