1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    07 Sep '09 08:48
    Originally posted by eljefejesus
    I don't expect you to understand the implications of Venezuela's nostalgia for "Gran Colombia." If her were a normal, intelligent leader, it would not have the same implications.
    The first cut and paste seems to confirm the suggestion that Venezuela is reponding defensively to Colombian/U.S> moves.

The second cut and paste is just a bit of populist's bluster. Arms contractors and militarists in places like Washington DC, Bogata and Caracas, their eyes light up when such twaddle is given the kind of Boggle Eyed analysis that you seem to flirt with. Shock horror: Dog Bites Man. Chavez Talks Tripe.

The third cut and paste about Colombia being a "narco-state" has more than a grain of truth, as you must surely be aware. Colombia - not Venezuela - is the rock bottom pits in South America when it comes to human rights atrocities of the murdering kind as opposed to the closure of TV channels kind. Oops. Which country in South America does the U.S. have closest ties to? Ouch! When one looks at the bloodstained hands factor, Uribe and his paramilitary/death squad past casts deep dark shadows over the likes of Chavez, whose gravest faults have been to win several elections, mismanage his economy, and strut around like the charlatan he so obviously is. And Uribe is looking for a 3rd term. And the Pinochet fans are boggling their eyes at the thought of a return to the National Security States. And the U.S. bases are being set up. And the contractors lick their lips. And the hysterical far right U.S. think tanks that seem to spoonfeed you your ideas riff and puff...

😀
  2. Pepperland
    Moves
    07 Sep '09 16:58
    Chavez perpetuates his own myth through control of the media and through populist talk combined with unrestrained cash hand-outs to his political supporters.

Chavez IS planning on doing and something and will do so if left to his own machinations.
    When the Columbians attacked some rebels approaching Venezuelan hide-outs, Chavez started sending in tro ...[text shortened]... , and pushed. Let's hope people propose and consider the idea before they give up on it.
    Everybody knows he's a power hungry autocrat, but believe me, he's not gonna do anything. Im right about this, and I'll be proven right.

Venezuela and colombia always had a love/hate relationship, but at the end nothing happens, its been like this since the 19th century.
  3. Pepperland
    Moves
    07 Sep '09 16:59
    Originally posted by FMF
    Venezuela wants to conquer Colombia?
    No, eljefejesus is wrong about that.
  4. Joined
    26 Dec '08
    Moves
    07 Sep '09 17:49
    You're both wrong, but now that Venezuela sees the US making a nice comfortable home at the bases there, he'll be hungry to attack somebody else most likely.

I don't know how you both believe that he's buying up machine guns and tanks for fun and not for use. I think that before he's even overthrown by angry people/millitary sick of his craziness, he will send his country to war against somebody.

As always, discussing the future here is uncertain, but discussing a future that assumes Chavez will move forward with aggression is the funny part. Even FMF does that!
  5. Pepperland
    Moves
    07 Sep '09 18:03
    You're both wrong, but now that Venezuela sees the US making a nice comfortable home at the bases there, he'll be hungry to attack somebody else most likely.

I don't know how you both believe that he's buying up machine guns and tanks for fun and not for use. I think that before he's even overthrown by angry people/millitary sick of his craziness, ...[text shortened]... at assumes Chavez will move forward with aggression is the funny part. Even FMF does that!
    well, we just have to wait and see what happens, but Im 90% sure he won't do anything.
  6. Joined
    26 Dec '08
    Moves
    07 Sep '09 18:14
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    well, we just have to wait and see what happens, but Im 90% sure he won't do anything.
    I'm just about 85% sure he'll find a way to put those weapons to use besides through the rebel druggies in the FARC. Of course it seems it's not gonna be easy for him thanks to some practical American military moves to prevent wars of aggression in Latin America. Chavez's citizens owe a debt of gratitude to the peacekeepers. Chavez is angry for a reason. He wants war and conquest. THAT is what the tanks and guns are for.
  7. Pepperland
    Moves
    07 Sep '09 18:26
    I'm just about 85% sure he'll find a way to put those weapons to use besides through the rebel druggies in the FARC. Of course it seems it's not gonna be easy for him thanks to some practical American military moves to prevent wars of aggression in Latin America. Chavez's citizens owe a debt of gratitude to the peacekeepers. Chavez is angry for a reason. He wants war and conquest. THAT is what the tanks and guns are for.
    you just don't get it.
    the tanks and the uniforms, its all because he wants to hide his real weakness, venezuela is medium-sized country with a tropical climate and mostly rural landscape, it is no modern superpower capable of invading and taking over other countries. without mentioning the fact that a war with colombia would be unwinnable and would pretty much be self-destruction.

and like I said before, he is a loud mouth, don't fool yourself in believing he means what he says.
  8. Joined
    26 Dec '08
    Moves
    07 Sep '09 19:06
    you just don't get it.
    the tanks and the uniforms, its all because he wants to hide his real weakness, venezuela is medium-sized country with a tropical climate and mostly rural landscape, it is no modern superpower capable of invading and taking over other countries. without mentioning the fact that a war with colombia would be unwinnable and would p ...[text shortened]... ike I said before, he is a loud mouth, don't fool yourself in believing he means what he says.
    What you don't get is that it doesn't take a superpower to win a war with another country, although a superpower could stop you if it wants to.

Therefore, the bases are a good idea for the US and Columbia.

Chavez is just hiding weakness? He's buying up tanks and rifles from Russia in huge arms deals just to hide weakness? We both know a little something about latin american history, and I point to the long history of wars between countries, not just between the biggest powers in Latin America.

Look at the war of the triple alliance involving paraguay and uruguay.

Look at the war between chile, peru, and columbia.

The history goes back...
  9. Pepperland
    Moves
    09 Sep '09 15:17
    What you don't get is that it doesn't take a superpower to win a war with another country, although a superpower could stop you if it wants to.

Therefore, the bases are a good idea for the US and Columbia.

Chavez is just hiding weakness? He's buying up tanks and rifles from Russia in huge arms deals just to hide weakness? We both know a little s ...[text shortened]... nd uruguay.

The history goes back...
    The bases may be a good idea if compared to doing nothing, but its far from being the best idea.

Yes, thats the his main objective. but he also wants to have a better equipped army, which is only reasonable. Just because one country is buying weapons (which everyone does) doesn't mean they're preparing for war.

Look at the war of the triple alliance involving paraguay and uruguay.

you do know that was in the 19th century right?

I don't remember any war between chile, peru, and colombia at the same time.
  10. Joined
    26 Dec '08
    Moves
    10 Sep '09 04:54
    The bases may be a good idea if compared to doing nothing, but its far from being the best idea.

Yes, thats the his main objective. but he also wants to have a better equipped army, which is only reasonable. Just because one country is buying weapons (which everyone does) doesn't mean they're preparing for war.

[b]Look at the war of the triple al ...[text shortened]... lumbia.

I don't remember any war between chile, peru, and colombia at the same time.[/b]
    Woops, make that Chile, Bolivia, and Peru.

Columbia has had its share though:

The Colombia–Peru War (September 1, 1932 - May 24, 1933)
  11. Joined
    16 May '06
    Moves
    10 Sep '09 05:45
    Why are there any yankee soldiers in Colombia in the first place?
    The US has a long history of supporting fascist dictators in Latin America. The US has a history of invading sovereign LA states - including Cuba, when they got their asses beat by a tiny thirsd world country.

If Al Qaeda were to set up a training camp in Detroit, would that be ok by you? I dont think so.
    I think all US forces should leave Colombia. Anyone who doesnt agree is a wife beating bible thumping redneck who rapes children.
  12. silicon valley
    Moves
    10 Sep '09 05:56
    Originally posted by moderationman
    The US has a long history of supporting fascist dictators in Latin America. The US has a history of invading sovereign LA states - including Cuba, when they got their asses beat by a tiny thirsd world country.

If Al Qaeda were to set up a training camp in Detroit, would that be ok ...[text shortened]... e Colombia. Anyone who doesnt agree is a wife beating bible thumping redneck who rapes children.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bay_of_pigs_invasion

The Bay of Pigs Invasion (known as La Batalla de Girón, or Playa Girón in Cuba), was an unsuccessful attempt by a U.S.-trained force of Cuban exiles to invade southern Cuba with support from U.S. government armed forces, to overthrow the Cuban government of Fidel Castro.
  13. silicon valley
    Moves
    10 Sep '09 05:57
    Originally posted by moderationman

If Al Qaeda were to set up a training camp in Detroit, would that be ok ...[text shortened]... e Colombia. Anyone who doesnt agree is a wife beating bible thumping redneck who rapes children.
    what the hell, generalissimo, are you a redneck?!?
  14. Pepperland
    Moves
    10 Sep '09 17:07
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    what the hell, generalissimo, are you a redneck?!?
    I said I was ok with colombia's decision and that it doesn't concern anyone else, however, I have pointed out that personally I believe having US bases in colombia is an outdated imperialist policy.

so no, Im not a redneck.
  15. Pepperland
    Moves
    10 Sep '09 17:09
    Woops, make that Chile, Bolivia, and Peru.

Columbia has had its share though:

The Colombia–Peru War (September 1, 1932 - May 24, 1933)
    Ok, that sounds more accurate.

but again, that was a long time ago, in a totally different context.
    These wars would never happen today.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree