Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Zugzwang
    Moves
    01 Jun '18 22:29
    It's long been fashionable for American politicians to flatter the supposedly
    superior wisdom of ordinary Americans, and they often lap up that flattery.
    Many ordinary Americans may believe that, by virtue of being born (at least
    if they are white) in the USA, they must be the most educated, intelligent
    people in the world, even if their test results rank nearer the bottom of
    countries in the world.

"Too many fake progressives like yourself [Vivify] having fallen for the
    elitist line that the People are ignorant, easily led sheep."
    --No1Marauder (to Vivify)

"Either Donald Trump is president, or there is no large proportion of
    people who are "ignorant, easily led sheep." Which one is it?"
    --KazetNagorra (to No1Marauder)

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/jun/01/us-inequality-donald-trump-cruel-measures-un

"Trump's 'cruel' measures pushing US inequality to dangerous level, UN warns.
    Scorching report on poverty finds ‘systematic attack on welfare program’ will leave millions deprived of food and healthcare."

"The UN monitor similarly excoriates Trump and the Republicans in Congress
    for passing a tax bill that “overwhelmingly benefited the wealthy and
    worsened inequality”. Alston added that “the policies pursued over the
    past year seem deliberately designed to remove basic protections from
    the poorest, punish those who are not in employment and make even
    basic health care into a privilege."

"The symptoms of such glaring inequality include:
    Americans now live shorter and sicker lives than citizens of other rich democracies;
    Tropical diseases that flourish in conditions of poverty are on the rise;
    The US incarceration rate remains the highest in the world."

Americans have so much to be proud of (see above)!

"In 1980, the US and Europe stood side by side in terms of inequality –
    in both cases, the richest one percent earned about 10% of national income.
    Fast forward to 2017, and in Europe the 1% has edged up to 12% of national income. But in America the same elite now gobbles up 20%."

America, the land of equal rights and opportunity, with liberty and justice for all!

"Last year the IMF, a world body not renowned for being hyper-critical of
    countries that fail the poor, said: “The US economy is delivering better
    living standards for only the few. Household incomes are stagnating,
    job opportunities are deteriorating, prospects for upward mobility are
    waning and economic gains are increasingly accruing to those that are
    already wealthy.”"

Now many proud Americans here have told me (typically shouting insults
    at the same time) that I understand absolutely nothing about the USA.
    Many proud Americans apparently like to believe that ordinary Americans
    are by far the most educated and intelligent people in the world.

So I must assume (sarcasm) that most of these highly educated, intelligent
    Americans should approve of and be delighted by the increasing inequality in the USA.
    I must assume that President Trump's loyal base of white working-class voters
    (who are absolutely free of racism) must be overjoyed that the deserving
    wealthiest Americans are becoming even more wealthy while so many
    undeserving poor Americans (particularly the non-white ones) will have
    shorter, sicker, more miserable lives in the world's greatest country--the USA.

Is not the USA becoming exactly what most 'wise' Americans want?
  2. SubscriberWOLFE63
    Tra il dire e il far
    C'e di mezzo il mar!
    Moves
    01 Jun '18 22:42
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    people in the world, even if their test results ...[text shortened]... s greatest country--the USA.

Duchess64: For insomniacs!

How boring.

I think I'd rather read my old "Introduction to Statistical Analysis" textbook.

Please troll (ooops...try) again. (sarcasm)
  3. Zugzwang
    Moves
    01 Jun '18 22:591 edit
    Originally posted by @wolfe63
    Duchess64: For insomniacs!

How boring.

I think I'd rather read my old "Introduction to Statistical Analysis" textbook.

Please troll (ooops...try) again. (sarcasm)
    No one requires the abusive lying troll Wolfe63 to read anything that I write.
    I would expect that the troll Wolfe63 to 'thumb down' or attack my posts without reading them.

The troll Wolfe63's apparent motive is to prevent everyone else from reading what I write.
    Some hateful trolls eagerly want what I write to be censored, while denying that they approve of censorship.
  4. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    01 Jun '18 23:021 edit
    people in the world, even if their test results ...[text shortened]... s greatest country--the USA.

I would agree with some of this, since there is a number of Americans that subscribe to the "might makes right" philosophy, while turning a blind eye to income and social inequality, but attributing these qualities to all 320 million+ Americans is a major oversimplification. It's also worth pointing out that most Americans are very much aware that they are not as well educated as those in Europe and Asia, nor do most Americans think they are in possession of "great wisdom"

You're partially correct Duchess, but most Americans are not as arrogant as you think.
  5. Zugzwang
    Moves
    01 Jun '18 23:243 edits
    Originally posted by @mchill
    I would agree with some of this, since there is a number of Americans that subscribe to the "might makes right" philosophy, while turning a blind eye to income and social inequality, but attributing these qualities to all 320 million+ Americans is a major oversimplification. It's also worth pointing out that most Americans are very much aware that they are n ...[text shortened]... sdom"

You're partially correct Duchess, but most Americans are not as arrogant as you think.
    Mchill shows more poor reading comprehension, overlooking my sarcasm (even though I
    clearly labeled some of it), and putting more words into my mouth.

"... attributing these qualities to all 320 million+ Americans"
    --Mchill

I NEVER did that. Another of Mchill's favorite 'strawmen'.

"...*most* Americans are *very much aware* that they are not as well educated as those in Europe and Asia"
    --Mchill

Mchill's claim seems exaggerated.

I already expect that many (better educated), thought not most, Americans would concede,
    however grudgingly, that American students have lower test scores than students in
    many countries of Europe and even some in Asia.

I doubt that most proud Americans would concede, however, that the US education system's
    inferior (at least with regard to test scores) to the systems of most, if not almost all,
    societies in Europe and Asia.

Can Mchill cite any scientific surveys in which most Americans (cheerfully) concede that
    the US education system's inferior to almost all such systems in Europe and Asia?

I would submit that the problem with American ignorance is not just with most Americans being ignorant.
    It's with many Americans being so extremely ignorant that they are clueless about how ignorant they are.

And I expect, of course, many proud Americans to hate me much more than they profess
    to care about the issues that I have raised about increasing inequality in the USA.
  6. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    01 Jun '18 23:471 edit

you are utterly pathetic!
  7. SubscriberWOLFE63
    Tra il dire e il far
    C'e di mezzo il mar!
    Moves
    01 Jun '18 23:48
    No one requires the abusive lying troll Wolfe63 to read anything that I write.
    I would expect that the troll Wolfe63 to 'thumb down' or attack my posts without reading them.

The troll Wolfe63's apparent motive is to prevent everyone else from reading what I write.
    Some hateful trolls eagerly want what I write to be censored, while denying that they approve of censorship.
    No...I don't read your overly expansive posts because they lack originality.
    They're frequently full of your half-baked interpretations of other writers' work. Lazy regurgitations.

Rarely, you do provide an occasional post, clearly born of your own opinion, unguided by your propagandist muse.

To those: A hearty thumbs up.

But, you seem to be on a mission of provocation.

Reccomendation: Leave the chronic opposition to the thumbs. Pick a side...and support it from your own base of knowledge.
  8. Zugzwang
    Moves
    02 Jun '18 00:001 edit
    Originally posted by @mott-the-hoople
    [b]you are utterly pathetic![/b]
    Let the record show that the fanatical supporter of Donald Trump, Mott-the-Hoopie,
    seems delighted with the increasing inequality and poverty in the USA.
    Is that not what Mott-the-Hoopie voted for?
  9. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    02 Jun '18 00:07
    Let the record show that the fanatical supporter of Donald Trump, Mott-the-Hoopie,
    seems delighted with the increasing inequality and poverty in the USA.
    Is that not what Mott-the-Hoopie voted for?
    I guess you didn't get the memo...Black employment is at an ALL TIME HIGH
  10. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    02 Jun '18 00:483 edits
    [b]Mchill shows more poor reading comprehension, overlooking my sarcasm (even though I
    clearly labeled some of it), and putting more words into my mouth.

"... attributing these qualities to all 320 million+ Americans"
    --Mchill

I NEVER did that. Another of Mchill's favorite 'strawmen'.

"...*most* Americans are *very much aware* that they are not ...[text shortened]... an they profess
    to care about the issues that I have raised about increasing inequality in the USA.
    Can Mchill cite any scientific surveys in which most Americans (cheerfully) concede that
    the US education system's inferior to almost all such systems in Europe and Asia?

I'm not here to cite surveys Duchess, but I am aware of what Americans (on the whole)
    think about their educational system, almost as much as you do.

I expect, of course, many proud Americans to hate me much more than they profess

This may surprise you Duchess, but you're not important enough for anyone to waste their energy hating, no matter what country they happen to reside in, so please don't magnify your own relevance.🙂
  11. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    02 Jun '18 02:041 edit

Most Americans think there is too much income inequality and by wide margins support policies that would reduce it. https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/06/03/business/income-inequality-workers-rights-international-trade-poll.html
  12. Zugzwang
    Moves
    02 Jun '18 22:07
    Originally posted by @mchill

I'm not here to cite surveys Duchess, but I am aware of what Americans (on the whole)
    think about their educational system, almost as much as you do.

I expect, of course, many p ...[text shortened]... , no matter what country they happen to reside in, so please don't magnify your own relevance.🙂
    Let the record show that Mchill cannot cite any statistical evidence to back his cocksure claim about most Americans.
  13. Zugzwang
    Moves
    02 Jun '18 22:10
    Originally posted by @no1marauder
    Most Americans think there is too much income inequality and by wide margins support policies that would reduce it. https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/06/03/business/income-inequality-workers-rights-international-trade-poll.html
    I already was aware of such surveys.

Nonetheless, the US system of democracy has elected a President who's obviously worsening inequality.
    And even a minimally intelligent and well-informed voter could have expected it.
  14. SubscriberWOLFE63
    Tra il dire e il far
    C'e di mezzo il mar!
    Moves
    02 Jun '18 22:33
    I already was aware of such surveys.

Nonetheless, the US system of democracy has elected a President who's obviously worsening inequality.
    And even a minimally intelligent and well-informed voter could have expected it.
    Thanks to FOX News: Our "minimally intelligent and well-informed voter" population is rapidly dwindling.

Like a bean-fed goat-fart in a Brownsville hurricane.
  15. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    03 Jun '18 07:55

Although you are correct about American inequality being a valid concern I think you should be critical of democrats too. Obama did continue the Bush tax cuts.

Generally, is there any evidence that income inequality lessens with a democrat in office?