1. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    13 Aug '11 00:56
    I don't know if RHP has ever attempted anything like this before, but I'm going to give it a try, anyway.

Before watching the Fox-hosted debate last night, I browsed through Fox pundits' expectations from the debate and in the process stumbled upon a section of the website that solicited potential debate questions from viewers. In the end, I don't think Fox even looked at the website, but it still gave me an idea.

If you could ask the current GOP presidential field a debate-style question, what would you ask? Post your questions here. Feel free to elaborate on why you think your question is relevant. Also, to keep things interesting, feel free to propose a speculative answer (on behalf of the GOP candidates) to other posters' questions.
  2. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    13 Aug '11 00:563 edits
    I'll start. This is basically a more general version of a question asked about spending cuts last night at the debate:

"Consider this hypothetical 2012 scenario: you win the presidency, Republicans win the House, and Democrats win the Senate. How would you react to the political realities of divided government when Democrats disagree with your policy agenda?"

For better or for worse, I think this is a very possible 2012 situation. Frankly, I don't think any of the candidates has shown himself capable of compromise--see the clip from the debate last night where every candidate affirmed that he or she would not support a deficit reduction proposal with a 10:1 ratio of spending cuts savings to tax revenue increases. And it's not just as though the candidates are quietly resolved to wait the opposition out--Pawlenty and Bachmann in particular are openly bragging about their utterly unwavering partisanship. So I would want to know whether to expect effectively a four-year lame-duck presidency, a bit of humbled commitment to achieve compromise, or a gridlock disaster.
  3. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    13 Aug '11 01:40
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    I'll start. This is basically a more general version of a question asked about spending cuts last night at the debate:

"Consider this hypothetical 2012 scenario: you win the presidency, Republicans win the House, and Democrats win the Senate. How would you react to the political realities of divided government when Democrats disagree with your policy ...[text shortened]... duck presidency, a bit of humbled commitment to achieve compromise, or a gridlock disaster.
    "Why do you hate the poor?"
  4. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    13 Aug '11 01:49
    Originally posted by rwingett
    "Why do you hate the poor?"
    Not a "debate-style" question.
  5. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    13 Aug '11 02:38
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    Not a "debate-style" question.
    That's why debates are nothing but infotainment. A complete waste of time.
  6. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    13 Aug '11 03:02
    Originally posted by rwingett
    That's why debates are nothing but infotainment. A complete waste of time.
    Do you think a question like "Why do you hate the poor?" would evoke a substantive response from candidates that instead would not be "a complete waste of time"?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree