1. Germany
    Moves
    16 Aug '14 18:07
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Does transformers movies receive tax dollars from the government?
    To varying degrees, depending on how one defines "receiving tax dollars." I find such a semantic issue uninteresting; resources are used to produce goods and services, whether or not they are productively applied is not directly related to what numbers are on which bureaucratic piece of paper.
  2. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    16 Aug '14 21:07
    Originally posted by finnegan
    So do you and or Eladar oppose or support the annual subsidies to the military of Israel ($3bn) and Egypt ($2bn)?
    There are already threads debating this. Why hijack this one?
  3. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    16 Aug '14 21:11
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Well, at least a movie of a rapper having sex with his own head is less of a waste of money than Transformers movies.
    Some people actually find Transformer movies entertaining.
  4. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    17 Aug '14 01:01
    Originally posted by normbenign
    There are already threads debating this. Why hijack this one?
    Read the thread title. What is the cost to the taxpayers of this film festival to which you all object? If it comes close to the amount gifted to the Israeli Defence Force or the Egyptian army then I will concede your point. I think that for $5billion you would find the quality of the films improved radically.
  5. Germany
    Moves
    17 Aug '14 06:46
    Originally posted by finnegan
    Read the thread title. What is the cost to the taxpayers of this film festival to which you all object? If it comes close to the amount gifted to the Israeli Defence Force or the Egyptian army then I will concede your point. I think that for $5billion you would find the quality of the films improved radically.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_dilemma
  6. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    17 Aug '14 13:58
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_dilemma
    I do not agree that the dilemma is a false one. If we assume that the reasoning goes like this:
    It is bad to waste public money
    This film is a waste of public money
    We should not sponsor the arts

I would reply
    We should use public money wisely
    A small sum sponsoring the arts may produce a good or a bad film but it will still give a young artist some valuable experience
    We should sponsor the arts
    A large sum sponsoring the IDF carries with it a risk of sponsoring crimes against humanity
    We should be worried about the larger sum and the more serious risk

If the issue is about tax payer money, as the title states, (and not therefore primarily about the quality of an experimental art film) then
    It is not consistent to complain about a small sum wasted and ignore a much larger sum with dangerous consequences.

Analogy. I once assumed responsibility for a budget in excess of £12m. I found myself entering a debate about the spending of some £200 on books and periodicals. I responded that I had more important items to spend management time on. I thought we could afford a few periodicals without blinking.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree