Moves
    02 Mar '13 22:441 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

2. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    02 Mar '13 23:09
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    In the late '50s and early '60s I had quite a few albums of Van Cliburn performances, along with Elvis and Fats.

I had no idea he was gay, not that it mattered. I wonder, whether staying "in the closet" harmed or helped him. I wonder if the many socialite gay people who "come out" with great flair and pomp, really do any good for the run of the mill gay man or woman who just wishes to be left alone?
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Mar '13 23:15

4. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    03 Mar '13 22:37
    Music is a universal language, I'm not suprised the Soviet people did not resent him for being an American. I'm sure they understood Van Cliburn cared far more for his music, than politics. I doubt however that Van Cliburn would have been the same household name today if he were a young pianast. The world of entertainment is many times larger than in the days of the cold war, he would have been a big duck, in a far larger pond. RIP Van Cliburn...your music was a joy to listen to!🙂
  5. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    04 Mar '13 00:35
    You ignored the main point I asked about. Do you think that coming out, or being outed is a good thing for gays, or any other minority that isn't identifiable visually? If they can live peacefully, and comfortably "in the closet" why not?
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Mar '13 01:111 edit

7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    04 Mar '13 01:15
    If this guy wasn't gay, would wouldn't have brought this up. People like you are simply pathetic.
  8. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    04 Mar '13 01:22
    "Given that you (Normbenign) seem very concerned about other people (such as your government) telling you how you should lead your life, why don't you attempt to extend that kind of tolerance toward other people?"

Exactly my point! I don't have a dog in the hunt, but why is it presumed that all gay and lesbians out to "come out"? What I asked had nothing to do with compulsion, but whether every day people with that life style benefit by activist's actions calling undesired attention to them. You have no idea of my level of tolerance.
  9. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    04 Mar '13 01:23
    Originally posted by Eladar
    If this guy wasn't gay, would wouldn't have brought this up. People like you are simply pathetic.
    Flat out wrong.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Mar '13 01:31

11. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    04 Mar '13 01:53
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Flat out wrong.
    Look at the discussion that was used to bring it up.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree