Victory for U.S. jurisprudence?

Victory for U.S. jurisprudence?

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
14 Feb 10

From the Washington Post: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/02/12/AR2010021204911.html?hpid=moreheadlines

The case against Saeed Mohammed Saleh Hatim seemed ironclad.

The Justice Department alleged that Hatim, a detainee at the U.S. military prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, trained at an al-Qaeda military camp in Afghanistan, stayed at terrorist guesthouses and even fought in the battle of Tora Bora. . . .

But a federal judge reviewed the case and found the government's evidence too weak to justify Hatim's confinement. The judge ordered the detainee's release, ruling that he could not rely on Hatim's statements because they had been coerced. He also found that the government's informer was "profoundly unreliable."

Isn't this a victory for the U.S. judicial system and a restoration of American values?

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
14 Feb 10

Originally posted by FMF
From the Washington Post: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/02/12/AR2010021204911.html?hpid=moreheadlines

[quote]The case against Saeed Mohammed Saleh Hatim seemed ironclad.

The Justice Department alleged that Hatim, a detainee at the U.S. military prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, trained at an al-Qaeda military camp in Afghanistan, ...[text shortened]...
Isn't this a victory for the U.S. judicial system and a restoration of American values?
It is a victory and a demonstration of US values. Not a "restoration".

F

Moves
14 Feb 10

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
So you are denying that Guantanamo Bay and the military tribunals and the 'evidence' obtained through torture diminished U.S. jurisprudence? Were they a victory and a demonstration of US values too? I think the word "restoration" is very apt. On what grounds do you quibble it?

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
14 Feb 10

Originally posted by FMF
So you are denying that Guantanamo Bay and the military tribunals and the 'evidence' obtained through torture diminished U.S. jurisprudence? Were they a victory and a demonstration of US values too? I think the word "restoration" is very apt. On what grounds do you quibble it?
The judge was a check and balance to all that.

F

Moves
14 Feb 10

The judge was a check and balance to all that.
In light of what has happened in the last 8 or so years, on what grounds do you quibble my use of the word "restoration" in the OP?

Guppy poo

Sewers of Holland

Moves
14 Feb 10

You mean setting an innocent man free after illegally holding him captive for God knows how many years? And torturing him?

Gotta love those values!

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
14 Feb 10

Originally posted by FMF
In light of what has happened in the last 8 or so years, on what grounds do you quibble my use of the word "restoration" in the OP?
This isn't a battle I want to fight. You may be right. I'll back down.

HG

Moves
15 Feb 10

Originally posted by shavixmir
You mean setting an innocent man free after illegally holding him captive for God knows how many years? And torturing him?

Gotta love those values!
Yes, I do