1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    06 Jan '17 16:40
    http://www.fox5dc.com/news/local-news/227343072-story

The state of Virginia practices price gouging with its toll lanes. When it would be useful, you need to pay big bucks to use it.
  2. Joined
    15 Dec '03
    Moves
    06 Jan '17 16:52
    Originally posted by Eladar

The state of Virginia practices price gouging with its toll lanes. When it would be useful, you need to pay big bucks to use it.
    Just read that. Doing the same here in SoCal. The peasants get the slow lanes.
  3. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    06 Jan '17 16:55
    Originally posted by kquinn909
    Just read that. Doing the same here in SoCal. The peasants get the slow lanes.
    You can use those lanes for free if you have 2-3 people in the car
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    06 Jan '17 16:56
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    In Virginia?
  5. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    06 Jan '17 17:00
    In Virginia?
    In CA.

Never been to Virginia.
  6. Joined
    15 Dec '03
    Moves
    06 Jan '17 17:36
    That's the HOV lanes. I'm talking all the toll lanes that are in place w/ more being built.
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    06 Jan '17 17:501 edit
    In CA.

Never been to Virginia.
    So in the Republic of Personas California the rich can travel well at will and the commoners need to make arrangements with other people.
  8. Germany
    Moves
    06 Jan '17 18:40
    Don't you have more important things to worry about? Like, who has better ratings for The Apprentice?
  9. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    06 Jan '17 18:51
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Don't you have more important things to worry about? Like, who has better ratings for The Apprentice?
    Yes, in Europe it is only natural for the upper class to have special priviledge enforced by the government.
  10. Germany
    Moves
    06 Jan '17 19:17
    Yes, in Europe it is only natural for the upper class to have special priviledge enforced by the government.
    Aren't any toll roads where I'm from, I'm afraid.
  11. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    06 Jan '17 20:31
    Aren't any toll roads where I'm from, I'm afraid.
    It is the general philosophy not the paticular. In Europe it might take the form of energy prices that limit the common person but is well within the price the modern aristocrat can afford.

Control the peasants by increasing the cost and corral them in high density low cost housing.
  12. Germany
    Moves
    07 Jan '17 10:31
    It is the general philosophy not the paticular. In Europe it might take the form of energy prices that limit the common person but is well within the price the modern aristocrat can afford.

Control the peasants by increasing the cost and corral them in high density low cost housing.
    Yeah, those common folk are super limited by a gasoline tax while they get only scraps of unimportant things like health care, housing, public transport and education.
  13. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    07 Jan '17 16:202 edits
    Yeah, those common folk are super limited by a gasoline tax while they get only scraps of unimportant things like health care, housing, public transport and education.
    Funny how you define the people as those who can't get a job. Typical elitist mentality.

I have all that and cheap fuel as well as my own house (buying not renting). I had all that bringing home less than 2k a month. They don't pay teachers well in Oklahoma.

I suppose in Europe that might sound like a lot after taxes.

Btw, I can use public transportation but I have my own vehicles as well. This is true for most people who live in this state.
  14. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    08 Jan '17 07:57

Transurban (the company running these toll roads) is a private company. It's not owned by "the state of Virginia". This seems to be a critique of corporate conduct, rather than that of the state.
  15. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    08 Jan '17 17:16
    Originally posted by Teinosuke
    Transurban (the company running these toll roads) is a private company. It's not owned by "the state of Virginia". This seems to be a critique of corporate conduct, rather than that of the state.
    Are they not under contract to the state? In any case the state of Virginia is allowing it. Does Virginia not approve the rates?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree