1. Germany
    Moves
    08 Jan '17 17:24
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Funny how you define the people as those who can't get a job. Typical elitist mentality.

I have all that and cheap fuel as well as my own house (buying not renting). I had all that bringing home less than 2k a month. They don't pay teachers well in Oklahoma.

I suppose in Europe that might sound like a lot after taxes.

Btw, I can use public transportation but I have my own vehicles as well. This is true for most people who live in this state.
    Funny how you define the people as those who can't get a job. Typical elitist mentality.

No, I didn't.

I have all that

No, you don't.
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    09 Jan '17 04:35
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    [b]Funny how you define the people as those who can't get a job. Typical elitist mentality.

No, I didn't.

I have all that

No, you don't.[/b]
    Which do I lack?
  3. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    09 Jan '17 15:08
    http://www.fox5dc.com/news/local-news/227343072-story

The state of Virginia practices price gouging with its toll lanes. When it would be useful, you need to pay big bucks to use it.
    Supply and demand.

Seems eminently logical to me.
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    09 Jan '17 15:10
    Originally posted by sh76
    Supply and demand.

Seems eminently logical to me.
    So you are in favor of price gouging? If there is an emergency and everyone needs something raise the prices!
  5. Germany
    Moves
    09 Jan '17 16:55
    So you are in favor of price gouging? If there is an emergency and everyone needs something raise the prices!
    That's the free market for ya. If you don't like it, vote for politicians who will raise taxes so that highways can be made toll-free.
  6. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    09 Jan '17 17:51
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    That's the free market for ya. If you don't like it, vote for politicians who will raise taxes so that highways can be made toll-free.
    Personally I think you are correct, but it is actually illegal.
  7. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    09 Jan '17 21:53
    Ah, I didn't realize it was a snow emergency. Different story.
  8. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    10 Jan '17 01:10
    Are they not under contract to the state? In any case the state of Virginia is allowing it. Does Virginia not approve the rates?
    In keeping with the desires of free marketeers everywhere, the state of Virginia chose not to regulate the pricing structure decided on by the company it had contracted. If it had done so, no doubt the free marketeers would be complaining about state interference in the marketplace.
  9. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    10 Jan '17 02:001 edit
    Originally posted by Teinosuke
    In keeping with the desires of free marketeers everywhere, the state of Virginia chose not to regulate the pricing structure decided on by the company it had contracted. If it had done so, no doubt the free marketeers would be complaining about state interference in the marketplace.
    It can still go after the company for gouging.

Virginia is complicit.
  10. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    10 Jan '17 14:16
    It can still go after the company for gouging.

Virginia is complicit.
    So you are in favour of state regulation of corporate activity?
  11. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    10 Jan '17 22:35
    Originally posted by Teinosuke
    So you are in favour of state regulation of corporate activity?
    If you are going to provide a public service, like public roads, electricity, water and natural gas, then states regulate the private companies. Corporation commissions determine if rate hikes are reasonable since there is no competition.

It is a state owned highway.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree