Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Zugzwang
    Moves
    28 Jul '15 02:131 edit
    Originally posted by normbenign to Vivify
    I never claimed that was the only rational, but the statement of Duchess64' friend makes my point.
    The fact is that equality sometimes is a two edged sword.
    Normbenign wrote some nonsense about the Equal Rights Amendment failing to be ratified
    partially on account of American women supposedly being terrified that they could be
    conscripted to fight in the Vietnam War when 1) the draft was over 2) the war was over
    and 3) American women would not even be allowed into combat roles until much later.
    As usual, when Normbenign writes nonsense and other people (even RJHinds in this case)
    point that out, he attempts to bluster or lie his way out.

Contray to Normbenign's ignorant claim, my friend would *not* agree with Normbenign's 'point'.
    My friend was understandably feeling sorry for himself and somewhat envious about the fact
    that if he were a woman, he would not be conscripted, but that does not mean that he seriously
    wanted to be a woman. And he knew that, in an earlier war, women had served in combat
    in his army. I have heard (I don't know if it's true) that most Americans would find it extremely
    painful to accept that their daughters could ever fight at the front and return home in coffins.
    As we are not 'civilized Westerners', we tend to lack such refined sensitivity and we don't
    tend to feel it's any worse to bury our dead daughters than our dead sons in wartime.
  2. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    29 Jul '15 00:17
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    Normbenign wrote some nonsense about the Equal Rights Amendment failing to be ratified
    partially on account of American women supposedly being terrified that they could be
    conscripted to fight in the Vietnam War when 1) the draft was over 2) the war was over
    and 3) American women would not even be allowed into combat roles until much later.
    As usual, ...[text shortened]... we don't
    tend to feel it's any worse to bury our dead daughters than our dead sons in wartime.
    Equality is a double edged sword, and many women and men who early on supported the ERA withdrew their support. If your argument relies on embellishing the writing of your adversaries, you've lost already.