1. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    28 Sep '12 16:08
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    Well, you said it so it must be true.
    At most, it's a suggestion that many Obama voters have not given the issue much educated thought. That many Obama voters are uninformed does not mean that all or even most Obama voters are uninformed. How you get from the OP a suggestion that any informed person would inherently vote for Romney is beyond me.
  2. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    28 Sep '12 16:12
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    If that is what Eladar meant then he should have posted some statistics to back up that claim. Posting one Youtube video of a hysterical woman screaming some stuff about a phone is not helping anyone. Does anyone seriously feel that this woman is a good representation of the average Obama voter?

On the topic of Obama voters believing that Obama was ...[text shortened]... we from this draw the conclusion that Anti-Obama people are less informed than Obama voters?
    Okay, the Tu quoque argument. It may be so, but has little bearing on the OP.

Look, I would not have posted the OP at all. Like you, I don't think the fact that there are a substantial number of uneducated dim-wits who plan to vote for Obama for no reason or reasons that don't exist is particularly significant. I'm sure there are plenty of Romney voters who fall into the same category (though probably fewer). But the methods by which you guys are attacking the OP just don't work.
  3. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    28 Sep '12 16:161 edit
    Originally posted by sh76
    At most, it's a suggestion that many Obama voters have not given the issue much educated thought. That many Obama voters are uninformed does not mean that all or even most Obama voters are uninformed. How you get from the OP a suggestion that any informed person would inherently vote for Romney is beyond me.
    That many Obama voters are uninformed does not mean that all or even most Obama voters are uninformed

Of course it doesn't, but the OP specifically said that it was because of those voters that he would get elected - which implies that it is a enough of a significant amount of his voters that it would win him the election, not just many.

How you get from the OP a suggestion that any informed person would inherently vote for Romney is beyond me.

Ok. I can live with that.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Sep '12 17:071 edit
    Eladar can correct me if I'm wrong, but I took his point to be that many Obama voters (represented by the people in the video) are so underinformed that they intend to vote for Obama for something he had little hand in and for similar inane and ignorant reasons. I believe that fact that President Obama was not even the person responsible for the program under which the people received their phones bolsters his point.
    You are sh76 and Eladar is Eladar. But you apparently endorse taking one mockable person you found on YouTube to make generalizations about whatever proportion of the country that will vote for Obama. Are you with Eladar on that?
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Sep '12 17:09
    Look, I would not have posted the OP at all. Like you, I don't think the fact that there are a substantial number of uneducated dim-wits who plan to vote for Obama for no reason or reasons that don't exist is particularly significant. I'm sure there are plenty of Romney voters who fall into the same category (though probably fewer).
    But you felt duty bound to poison the well anyway?
  6. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    28 Sep '12 17:32
    Originally posted by FMF
    You are sh76 and Eladar is Eladar. But you apparently endorse taking one mockable person you found on YouTube to make generalizations about whatever proportion of the country that will vote for Obama. Are you with Eladar on that?
    You really think this person is unique? I see it in person. It is far from unique, but you believe that the US is better of now than when Obama took office so I can understand your point of view.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Sep '12 17:49
    Originally posted by Eladar
    You really think this person is unique? I see it in person. It is far from unique, but you believe that the US is better of now than when Obama took office so I can understand your point of view.
    I do. What does "this person" have to do with whether "the US is better of now" than at the nadir of your recession?
  8. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    28 Sep '12 18:44
    Originally posted by FMF
    I do. What does "this person" have to do with whether "the US is better of now" than at the nadir of your recession?
    You are the person who believes the US is better off now. You are the person who is in la la land.
  9. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    28 Sep '12 21:141 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    But you felt duty bound to poison the well anyway?
    Well, I didn't mean to poison the well, but the incident in the OP is not isolated. I'm not going to post links because I don't believe in those juvenile tactics. But, suffice it to say, the "Obama voter on the street" is a fairly common tactic amongst right wingers and comedians to generate a few laughs at the expense of Democratic supporters. Howard Stern has done this a few times (anyone who is interested can Google it) and the material (apparently genuine) makes it seem that mindless Obama support is quite common.

To ensure that I'm not misread I want to state clearly that I think there are plenty of good mindful reasons to support Obama and certainly are plenty of good mindful reasons to oppose Romney. But the cult-like, unquestioning following that President Obama enjoys seems unprecedented. It also allows him to essentially ignore many facets of liberal politics when such is convenient. He can extend the Bush tax cuts, allow insurance companies to maintain a stranglehold on the healthcare system, order drones to kill civilians, go to war without Congressional consent, order indefinite detentions without trial, etc. etc. etc. without having to answer for any of it because he knows that much of his support is mindless and unquestioning. That is a very real fact about American politics right now.
  10. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    28 Sep '12 21:31
    Well, I didn't mean to poison the well, but the incident in the OP is not isolated. I'm not going to post links because I don't believe in those juvenile tactics. But, suffice it to say, the "Obama voter on the street" is a fairly common tactic amongst right wingers and comedians to generate a few laughs at the expense of Democratic supporters. Howard Stern has ...[text shortened]... is mindless and unquestioning. That is a very real fact about American politics right now.
    I gave you a thumbs up thingy on this post sh76.
    However I am a bit puzzled on the following statement.

"I think there are plenty of good mindful reasons to support Obama"-sh76

If there are "plenty" as you say. How about naming about...lets say... a dozen reasons to support Obama for reelection.
  11. Germany
    Moves
    28 Sep '12 21:32
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    I gave you a thumbs up thingy on this post sh76.
    However I am a bit puzzled on the following statement.

"I think there are plenty of good mindful reasons to support Obama"-sh76

If there are "plenty" as you say. How about naming about...lets say... a dozen reasons to support Obama for reelection.
    I could give you a dozen reasons, though they'd all boil down to "Obama is imcompetent, but Romney's worse".
  12. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    28 Sep '12 21:33
    To ensure that I'm not misread I want to state clearly that I think there are plenty of good mindful reasons to support Obama and certainly are plenty of good mindful reasons to oppose Romney. But the cult-like, unquestioning following that President Obama enjoys seems unprecedented. It also allows him to essentially ignore many facets of liberal politics when ...[text shortened]... port is mindless and unquestioning. That is a very real fact about American politics right now.
    I think there's a difference between supporters of either party that are uninformed and people who are simply blindly partisan.

Those that justify Obama's terrible policies that you mention do annoy me and partly make me wish McCain won the election if only so that they would actually start fighting for those policies that they don't care about when Obama does it.

The problem for me is that I recognize those issues and if Romney actually could convince me that he would change any of that then I might actually vote for him. The problem is that Romney hasn't even said anything about changing the policies such as the stranglehold that insurance companies have on the healthcare system, ordering drones to kill civilians, etc that you mentioned.

Part of the problem is that those that do see and hate those flaws in Obama see the same flaws and worse in Romney.

Frankly, I am probably going to vote for Jill Stein if she is on my ballot. I don't really like voting for Obama, but he's higher on my list than Romney.

God I hate this two party system.
  13. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    28 Sep '12 22:09
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    Well, I don't know about a dozen, but,

If one believes:

- the rich need to be taxed more
    - Obamacare was a necessary expansion of healthcare services to the poor
    - Obama presents a better image of the US to the world
    - the spending cuts proposed by the Ryan plan are cruel to the people who depend on those plans

then those are good reasons to vote for Obama. I'm not saying I necessarily buy all of those, but I recognize that mindful and reasonable people might believe those things and, if believed, they are good reasons to vote for Obama.
  14. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    28 Sep '12 22:11
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    I think there's a difference between supporters of either party that are uninformed and people who are simply blindly partisan.

Those that justify Obama's terrible policies that you mention do annoy me and partly make me wish McCain won the election if only so that they would actually start fighting for those policies that they don't care about when O ...[text shortened]... g for Obama, but he's higher on my list than Romney.

God I hate this two party system.
    Just as an exercise, does anyone want to take the role of defending the two party system?

Anyone?
  15. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    28 Sep '12 22:181 edit
    Just as an exercise, does anyone want to take the role of defending the two party system?

Anyone?
    It's better than a one party system.😛

EDIT: of course, we have a two party system only because that is how people vote. The system doesn't require that result.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree