1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    04 Feb '15 02:07
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Key words "would have". In that case, that scenario ought to have been considered before the first advisers were sent in.

The American Civil War argues against your theory.
    No it doesn't. Obviously the populace in the former CSA states were not as committed to their independence as the people in Vietnam were. This is hardly surprising.
  2. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    04 Feb '15 02:38
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    No it doesn't. Obviously the populace in the former CSA states were not as committed to their independence as the people in Vietnam were. This is hardly surprising.
    Strange conclusion given the carnage of that war, and its length. It may just be that Gettysburg was more favorable to the North than was the Tet offensive to the Vietnamese.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    04 Feb '15 15:014 edits
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
    •Return to Patrick Henry – Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death

This quote is why things are the way they are. People have sold their souls to the nanny state to keep them "safe", for there is no end to the threats, no end to the violence, no end to the myriad of evils in the world that we need to be protected from. All wars and forms of a police state can be sold as such protection. We are but tax slaves to the military complex.

"I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know of no way of judging of the future but by the past. And judging by the past, I wish to know what there has been in the conduct of the British ministry for the last ten years to justify those hopes with which gentlemen have been pleased to solace themselves and the House. Is it that insidious smile with which our petition has been lately received?"

Preach it Henry, all petitions fall on deaf ears.
  4. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    04 Feb '15 21:15
    Strange conclusion given the carnage of that war, and its length. It may just be that Gettysburg was more favorable to the North than was the Tet offensive to the Vietnamese.
    After their armies were defeated, the people in the South had no stomach for armed resistance. That is a historical fact.

The struggle the Vietnamese people waged against first direct colonial rule and than proxy colonial rule was far bloodier and longer than the US Civil War. They were in it until they achieved independence period as colonial rule and oppression was unbearable to them. The people of the South knew that being in the US wasn't a bad deal and the vast majority accepted defeat - something the Vietnamese never would have done.
  5. Joined
    22 Jun '08
    Moves
    05 Feb '15 02:08
    After their armies were defeated, the people in the South had no stomach for armed resistance. That is a historical fact.

The struggle the Vietnamese people waged against first direct colonial rule and than proxy colonial rule was far bloodier and longer than the US Civil War. They were in it until they achieved independence period as colonial rule an ...[text shortened]... bad deal and the vast majority accepted defeat - something the Vietnamese never would have done.
    And you were there,, I think not.. you don't seem to have the right mental capabilities.... or in another term, the stomach for it.. like 1/2 of the rest of this country..
  6. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    05 Feb '15 02:17
    Originally posted by Hugh Glass
    And you were there,, I think not.. you don't seem to have the right mental capabilities.... or in another term, the stomach for it.. like 1/2 of the rest of this country..
    Your heroic determination to have other people fight never ending, pointless wars is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo manly.
  7. Joined
    22 Jun '08
    Moves
    05 Feb '15 02:31
    Your heroic determination to have other people fight never ending, pointless wars is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo manly.
    Oh my,, a raw nerve... good.. Probably the only time your adrenaline actually flows..
  8. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    05 Feb '15 22:38

The struggle the Vietnamese people waged against first direct colonial rule and than proxy colonial rule was far bloodier and longer than the US Civil War. They were in it until they achieved independence period as colonial rule an ...[text shortened]... bad deal and the vast majority accepted defeat - something the Vietnamese never would have done.
    Tell me, do you think that the United States would have the stomach to throw off an invasion today? You know, a Red Dawn scenario, take either the first movie, or the sequel?

If our military were defeated, would "the people" still resist?
  9. Joined
    22 Jun '08
    Moves
    06 Feb '15 00:011 edit
    Tell me, do you think that the United States would have the stomach to throw off an invasion today? You know, a Red Dawn scenario, take either the first movie, or the sequel?

If our military were defeated, would "the people" still resist?
    Yes.... the people would resist.
  10. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    06 Feb '15 15:23
    Because right wing and left wing are from the same bird the next president will be a war hungry republican.
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    06 Feb '15 15:27
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    Because right wing and left wing are from the same bird the next president will be a war hungry republican.
    I'm not so sure. With the recent actions of the newly elected GOP in Congress, they probably will elect a war hungry Dim like Hillary.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree