1. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    21 Nov '12 19:59
    Who won?

US remained blockaded. Canada not annexed or even successfully invaded. Burnt White House. Brits kept all objectives. Americans accomplished none unless you count slaughtering Indians.
  2. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    21 Nov '12 20:51
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Who won?

US remained blockaded. Canada not annexed or even successfully invaded. Burnt White House. Brits kept all objectives. Americans accomplished none unless you count slaughtering Indians.
    Yeah that is a relatively significant war in Canadian history.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Nov '12 21:07
    Who won?

we torched the Whitehouse but so what, it accomplished nada.
  4. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    21 Nov '12 21:222 edits
    My understanding is that Canada viewed it as a victory because the US was repelled.

It was significant to the Canadians that the Canadian local militia helped the British regulars along the Great Lakes and Saint Lawrence River, where the US was trying to invade and take over Canada.

I think memories for the US are the origin of the Star Spangled Banner (from Battle of Baltimore), the rise of Jackson, and the Battle of New Orleans.
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    22 Nov '12 02:13
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    we torched the Whitehouse but so what, it accomplished nada.
    Next time make sure someone is home. 😛

In fact, there is no time like the present!! 😵
  6. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    22 Nov '12 02:18
    Originally posted by moon1969
    My understanding is that Canada viewed it as a victory because the US was repelled.

It was significant to the Canadians that the Canadian local militia helped the British regulars along the Great Lakes and Saint Lawrence River, where the US was trying to invade and take over Canada.

I think memories for the US are the origin of the Star Spangled Banner (from Battle of Baltimore), the rise of Jackson, and the Battle of New Orleans.
    It was New England that inspired the War of 1812, and also that threatened secession first.
  7. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    22 Nov '12 02:19
    Who won?

Everyone won out on that deal. We got to have a good song by Jonny Horton that most people like. " We filled his head with cannon balls and powdered his behind, and when we touched the powder off the gator lost his mind"
  8. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    23 Nov '12 21:20
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    We got to have a good song by Jonny Horton that most people like. " We filled his head with cannon balls and powdered his behind, and when we touched the powder off the gator lost his mind"
    I remember that song. Listened to it on an oldies album when I was a kid.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree