1. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    30 Aug '11 19:34
    Originally posted by whodey
    No true leftists eh?
    Do you even try to understand the posts you are responding to?

That's not what I said at all.

I'm saying that you are only interested in painting the worst of intentions on anything that your delusional mind thinks is on "the left" or is what you think is progressive and you never fail to inaccurately portray it and demonize it.
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    31 Aug '11 00:02
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    Do you even try to understand the posts you are responding to?

That's not what I said at all.

I'm saying that you are only interested in painting the worst of intentions on anything that your delusional mind thinks is on "the left" or is what you think is progressive and you never fail to inaccurately portray it and demonize it.
    Does it trouble you I try to show the hypocrisy on the left? What I can't stand are conservatives defending the GOP and leftists defending the Dems to the death when in reality they are one in the same. It is just demagoguery heaped upon demagoguery
  3. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    31 Aug '11 00:07
    This just shows me that the left has no problem with people accumulating vast amounts of wealth. What they really object to are certain people who do. The Warren Buffetts of the world can continue as everyone else is thrown to the wolves I suppose.
    We on the left have never claimed to be against accumulating vast amounts of wealth. For anyone.

Being for a graduated tax scale is NOT "class warfare." That's a buzz phrase made up by your Republican counterparts.
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    31 Aug '11 00:10
    Actually, I think the leftists would like a 'wealth' tax, at least I've seen it proposed by at least one leftist on this site.

To tell you the truth, I see nothing wrong with a wealth tax. Tax people 10% every year based on their net worth above a million dollars.
  5. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    31 Aug '11 00:38
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    We on the left have never claimed to be against accumulating vast amounts of wealth. For anyone.

Being for a graduated tax scale is NOT "class warfare." That's a buzz phrase made up by your Republican counterparts.
    The left has always wanted to equalize outcomes. At least that's what they claim. In practice, the Dems are usually not that concerned with the really wealthy, as they are with the very productive who may later become wealthy. That's why the 250k break.

As for a graduated tax scale not being class warfare, what the hell else is it? From the beginning the income tax was class warfare. It started out only effecting very high incomes.

When 47% of Americans pay no income taxes, and we're contemplating raising taxes on the highest earners, you bet your life it is class warfare.
  6. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    31 Aug '11 00:39
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Actually, I think the leftists would like a 'wealth' tax, at least I've seen it proposed by at least one leftist on this site.

To tell you the truth, I see nothing wrong with a wealth tax. Tax people 10% every year based on their net worth above a million dollars.
    OMG! You do realize that money has already been taxed to death.
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    31 Aug '11 01:15
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Many of the super rich aren't. They just live on the money passed down to them.
  8. Pepperland
    Moves
    31 Aug '11 01:21
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Many of the super rich aren't. They just live on the money passed down to them.
    Behold, the conservative who does not bow before the wealthy uncritically!

that's a rare breed.
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    31 Aug '11 01:292 edits

All we hear from the left is how we need to redistribute wealth as the "rich" do not pay their fair share. We also hear nonstop how the "rich" oppress us all and how the GOP is behind them. Meanwhile, we see the likes of Warren Buffett or Tiny Tim Geithner or a whole host of Obama appointees not pay their taxes along with corporations like GE, who are in the back pocket of Obama, who did not pay income taxes last year.

So as you can see, my attempt was to break stereotypes, not create them. However, to ignore stereotypes that exist is equally as ignorant.
  10. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    31 Aug '11 01:36
    The left has always wanted to equalize outcomes. At least that's what they claim. In practice, the Dems are usually not that concerned with the really wealthy, as they are with the very productive who may later become wealthy. That's why the 250k break.

As for a graduated tax scale not being class warfare, what the hell else is it? From the begin ...[text shortened]... re contemplating raising taxes on the highest earners, you bet your life it is class warfare.
    Who claims they want to equalize outcomes? Link?

This whole "productive" vs "unproductive" mantra from the right (IS) class warfare. It's saying "the rich guy is better than you." How the hell is an auto mechanic who fixes several cars per day unproductive? Or the cashier who handles the transactions for hundreds of customers?

As for a graduated tax scale not being class warfare, what the hell else is it?

It's a graduated tax scale. Duh.

Americans paying little or even no income tax are paying a much higher percent of their income than the rich on payroll taxes and other taxes. What's more those on the lower and mid level income brackets actually stimulate the economy by spending their money. If you give a billionaire a nominal tax break, say, the Bush tax cuts, they're not going go out and buy things with that money. Lower and middle income workers will.

The top 400 richest people in the country possess more wealth than more than half the country combined. In reality the only way a flat tax can be workable is if you dramatically raise taxes on the poor and middle class. That would kill the economy because that would amount to a dramatic reduction in consumer spending, and it would have a dramatic affect on their quality of life. If the wealthy return to the rates they were paying in the '90's it would have zero net affect on their quality of life.

I would take the economic activity of 1000 people making $50,000 per year over one guy making $50,000,000 per year any day.
  11. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    31 Aug '11 01:41
    All we hear from the left is how we need to redistribute wealth as the "rich" do not pay their fair share. We also hear nonstop how the "rich" oppress us all and how the GOP is behind them. Meanwhile, we see the likes of Warren Buffett or Tiny Tim Geithner or a whole host of Obama appointees not pay their taxes along with corporations like GE, who are in th ...[text shortened]... eotypes, not create them. However, to ignore stereotypes that exist is equally as ignorant.
    I realize inserting your own arguments for me might be convenient for you, but for once how about you respond to actual arguments we on the left are making, and not insert your own so-called "all we hear" arguments.

Does Warren Buffett owe taxes he hasn't paid? Does GE? No.

So then you're on board with Democrats who want to close loopholes used by corporations and many of the wealthy?
  12. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    31 Aug '11 01:44
    To death? Show me one rich guy in the US who doesn't enjoy a lavish quality of life.
  13. Joined
    22 Jun '08
    Moves
    31 Aug '11 01:50
    That is dam interesting Whodey, runs right in there with O's economic Czar Immelt and GE paying no taxes hey?
    would anyone really miss Obama if he just disappeared,, oh, forgot Biden would step up,,, argh!!!
  14. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    31 Aug '11 01:54
    Originally posted by Hugh Glass
    That is dam interesting Whodey, runs right in there with O's economic Czar Immelt and GE paying no taxes hey?
    would anyone really miss Obama if he just disappeared,, oh, forgot Biden would step up,,, argh!!!
    Great, so Hugh you're now on board with Democrats for closing tax loopholes for the GE's and the Warren Buffetts of the world?

That's awesome! Welcome to the left. You do know that the Republicans have fought tooth and nail against closing those loopholes, right? Saying they amount to "tax increases"
  15. Joined
    22 Jun '08
    Moves
    31 Aug '11 02:06
    Great, so Hugh you're now on board with Democrats for closing tax loopholes for the GE's and the Warren Buffetts of the world?

That's awesome! Welcome to the left. You do know that the Republicans have fought tooth and nail against closing those loopholes, right? Saying they amount to "tax increases"
    we had this discussion already troop, Yes I would be in favor of closing loop holes...
    I am left centered by the way....
    I would rather see a child playing in the yard next door to me, than a fetus sent to a burn site after an abortion.
    I am not in favor of gun control, however I see no reason for Ar's and ak's in every home.
    I don't see taxing the rich as a way out, unless we can control our spending.
    welfare is ok, until you actually work in a Safeway, and have to constantly tell people no you can't pay for that with food stamps, and they are still eating better than me...
    Illegals are breaking our law.... and causing a great deal of our trouble...
    so we probably don't see some things the same, that's ok, because this is america...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree