1. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    02 Mar '11 20:37
    Originally posted by Palynka
    If people try to do it at the door of where the person lives then yes, I guess it might.

But for me this has nothing to do with censorship of content. The same harsh political speech could be done in a rally, in the media, in front of political institutions, etc. I just don't see why disturbing a funeral should be allowed under the guise of free speech.
    I agree. It is inflamatory and it is hard for me to imagine a fact pattern where the intentional infliction of emotional distress would be stronger.
  2. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    02 Mar '11 20:45
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    Coincidentally, the court's decision seemed to be rooted on the sort of "rights fundamentalism" endorsed by a few posters here, illustrating the real undesirable consequences of allowing fantastical idealism to dominate judgments on practical matters.
    I thought the same thing, but I don't want to go there (at least not in this thread).
  3. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    02 Mar '11 20:47
    Originally posted by quackquack
    Obviously you are correct that a conservative judge would be more likely, when balancing free speech and another right, to put a limit on free speech. I think however it is interesting that the right that Alito wishes to protect is the right of the family of a homosexual soldier to have a funeral without hateful protests making it into a public issue. ...[text shortened]... endless defending religious groups and never defending the rights of average ordinary citizens.
    I understood that the WBs are staging rallies at funerals of service members without respect to the gender preference of the deceased, on the basis that their god is punishing the USA by letting soldiers be killed, for our allowing homosexuality and other sinful behavior (in their view).
  4. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    02 Mar '11 21:00
    Originally posted by JS357
    I understood that the WBs are staging rallies at funerals of service members without respect to the gender preference of the deceased, on the basis that their god is punishing the USA by letting soldiers be killed, for our allowing homosexuality and other sinful behavior (in their view).
    Perhaps I misunderstood the fact pattern and I appreciate your correction but I think that makes the protests even more ridiculous. As Alito states

"The church can write and distribute books, articles, and other texts; they may create and disseminate video and audio recordings; they may circulate petitions; they may speak to individuals and groups in public forums and in any private venue that wishes to accommodate them; they may picket peacefully in countless locations; they may appearon television and speak on the radio; they may post messages on the Internet and send out e-mails And they may express their views in terms that are “uninhibited,” “vehement,” and “caustic.” It does not follow, however, that they may intentionally inflict severe emotional injury on private persons at a timeof intense emotional sensitivity by launching vicious verbal attacks that make no contribution to public debate
  5. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    02 Mar '11 21:15
    Originally posted by quackquack
    It does not follow, however, that they may intentionally inflict severe emotional injury on private persons at a timeof intense emotional sensitivity by launching vicious verbal attacks that make no contribution to public debate
    Their contribution consists in the lamentable spectacle they make of themselves -- a spectacle that cries out Why?; occasioning debate.
  6. Standard membersmw6869
    Granny
    Parts Unknown
    Moves
    02 Mar '11 21:20
    I agree with the judge on this matter, but i also believe that Granny should be able to insert a bit of C-4 in my 17 inch dildo, shove it down one of the members throat and press the '' Blow MY Mind" Button. Just saying.

GRANNY.
  7. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    02 Mar '11 21:49
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    Well said.

edit- Coincidentally, the court's decision seemed to be rooted on the sort of "rights fundamentalism" endorsed by a few posters here, illustrating the real undesirable consequences of allowing fantastical idealism to dominate judgments on practical matters.
    What "undesirable consequences" are that? That people will have opinions that you don't like?
  8. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    02 Mar '11 21:541 edit
    Originally posted by Palynka
    It's harassment. They could express their opinion elsewhere and at any time but they just decided not to for the purpose of getting a reaction from the family (or simply allow the possibility of getting a reaction which generates media attention).

Nobody is denying their right to express their opinions but I don't see why they should be allowed to harass press it publicly not that all possible mediums in all possible situations must be assured.
    They were a 1000 feet away from the funeral on public property. How much further should they have been required to go to meet your objections?

From the Court's decision, p. 2:

The picketing took place within a 10- by25-foot plot of public land adjacent to a public street,behind a temporary fence. App. to Brief for Appellantsin No. 08–1026 (CA4), pp. 2282–2285 (hereinafter App.).That plot was approximately 1,000 feet from the church where the funeral was held. Several buildings separated the picket site from the church. Id., at 3758. The West-boro picketers displayed their signs for about 30 minutes before the funeral began and sang hymns and recited Bible verses. None of the picketers entered church prop-erty or went to the cemetery. They did not yell or use profanity, and there was no violence associated with thepicketing. Id., at 2168, 2371, 2286, 2293.

Furthermore: Although Snyder testified that he could see the tops of the picket signs as he drove to the funeral, he did not see what was written on the signs until later that night, while watching a news broadcast covering the event.

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/10pdf/09-751.pdf
  9. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    03 Mar '11 00:31
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    Yeah, sure you do 🙂
    Obviously that's a rhetorical flourish ..........................
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Mar '11 00:35
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Good decision, of course.
    Yes great decision i hope they protest at your mother's funeral and call her a n axxhole and see how you like it.
  11. Germany
    Moves
    03 Mar '11 09:13
    Originally posted by Sam The Sham
    Yes great decision i hope they protest at your mother's funeral and call her a n axxhole and see how you like it.
    That's their choice.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Mar '11 13:07
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    That's their choice.
    What did your parents do to raise such a Casper Milquetoast like you?
  13. Germany
    Moves
    03 Mar '11 13:16
    Originally posted by Sam The Sham
    What did your parents do to raise such a Casper Milquetoast like you?
    Oh dear, trying to get yourself banned from the forums again?
  14. Pepperland
    Moves
    03 Mar '11 19:35
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    What "undesirable consequences" are that? That people will have opinions that you don't like?
    Obviously you haven't put much thought into this post of yours given you have the nerve to ask what such consequences are, perhaps if you had read the link before posting you wouldn't have posed me such a perfunctory reply.

This isn't about the possession of opinions I dislike, we are talking about despicable individuals who exploit the literal word of the law in order to torment grieving relatives of fallen soldiers, it is a very poor reflection of your empathy to suggest this is an endorsement of censorship of opinions I don't agree with (no doubt an accusation inspired solely by your own meanspiritedness).
  15. Joined
    26 Feb '11
    Moves
    03 Mar '11 20:45

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree