1. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    21 Jun '17 09:59
    Watch this video: "What Are You Really Eating?" at YouTube

Is it really this bad in USA? Really? I know US coffee is bad, yes, and I usually suspect food from USA being fake. I just don't by it if there is a another source of production.

But it isn't this bad, is it? It couldn't be? Right?
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    21 Jun '17 11:56
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Watch this video: "What Are You Really Eating?" at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHjpvpZyuow

Is it really this bad in USA? Really? I know US coffee is bad, yes, and I usually suspect food from USA being fake. I just don't by it if there is a another source of production.

Didn't your dad ever tell you to not believe anything you hear and only half of what you see?

This was one of my dad's favorite "dad-isms". Everybody's got something (or some idea) they're trying to "sell" to you.
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    21 Jun '17 12:21
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Didn't your dad ever tell you to not believe anything you hear and only half of what you see?

This was one of my dad's favorite "dad-isms". Everybody's got something (or some idea) they're trying to "sell" to you.
    But if it is not all right, And it's not all wrong...
    What about it is right, and what is wrong?
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 Jun '17 14:40
    But if it is not all right, And it's not all wrong...
    What about it is right, and what is wrong?
    Fortunately I don't do champaign but I do use honey and THAT pissses me off! Gluing steaks, wow. I think we better go to my Swedish daughter in law's home, Gutenburg!
    Fake blueberries, flavored orange juice. When we lived in Jerusalem we loved going into the old city where they had orange juice venders with boxes of oranges and they squeezed out real orange juice right in front of you so we KNEW that was real.

I grew up in southern California orange and avocado country, but those are mostly long gone now, you only get blood avocados from south America now. (avocado's taken over by the drug cartels)
  5. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    21 Jun '17 14:53
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Fortunately I don't do champaign but I do use honey and THAT pissses me off! Gluing steaks, wow. I think we better go to my Swedish daughter in law's home, Gutenburg!
    Fake blueberries, flavored orange juice. When we lived in Jerusalem we loved going into the old city where they had orange juice venders with boxes of oranges and they squeezed out real orang ...[text shortened]... , you only get blood avocados from south America now. (avocado's taken over by the drug cartels)
    In Sweden we call sometimes bubbly wine champagne, but the etiquette never use the word 'champagne' if it in fact is not.
    Fake orange juice? With the words '100% pure' on the box? It wouldn't be possible...
    I know that there are glued meat, but it is not called with correct names, so you always know that it is, plus the cheap price.
    Honey is of course the real thing, as on every jar you can see where it comes from. Some is treated so it is always runny, but that's not as good as real honey so why buy that?

Cheating in food industry is a blasphemy!
  6. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    21 Jun '17 15:08
    USA is one of the countries in the world with highest obesity rate.

Is this cheating food-industry to blame for this fact?
    Is it possible to eat healthy when you don't even know what you're really eating?
  7. Joined
    23 Nov '11
    Moves
    21 Jun '17 15:17

Is it possible to eat healthy when you don't even know what you're really eating?
    What is especially awful in the U.S. is the fact that they can put 100% orange juice on the box/bottle and you are getting crap. Produce might be GMO or laden with pesticides inside and out but in the U.S. you will never know. I try to grow my own, buy from friends and use farmers' markets. However, just because you buy produce at the local farmers' market does not guarantee they haven't sprayed it with poison outlawed in Europe and Canada. Most processed food in the U.S. contains a ton of corn syrup which helps explain the obesity rate. One wonders what all the chemical garbage is doing to developing minds.
  8. Joined
    23 Nov '11
    Moves
    21 Jun '17 15:18
    Fake blueberries, flavored orange juice. When we lived in Jerusalem we loved going into the old city where they had orange juice venders with boxes of oranges and they squeezed out real orang ...[text shortened]... , you only get blood avocados from south America now. (avocado's taken over by the drug cartels)
    I spend quite a bit of time in Spain and there they also have machines filled with fresh oranges. A button is pushed and an orange is sliced and squeezed before your eyes in any corner coffee shop.
  9. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    21 Jun '17 19:581 edit
    Watch this video: "What Are You Really Eating?" at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHjpvpZyuow

I'm not surprised. Sadly, there is an accepted philosophy in America (especially among the more conservative folks) that whatever is good for Corporate America is good for America. This has led to very few strictly enforced regulations over our food industry, giving the food corporations license to produce over priced, low quality garbage that passes for food. This is at least one cause of obesity here. Most people here know this, but there seems to be little will to do anything about it. It is possible to find high quality food in America, and there is a slowly growing trend to shop at local farmers markets, and outlets that produce better quality food, but it takes a bit of detective work to find them. 😞
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    21 Jun '17 23:35

Thanks for sharing this... I will never eat again!!!!😳:'(
  11. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    22 Jun '17 08:441 edit
    If says "100% pure orange juice" and it is not, isn't the producer lying to the consumers?
    Is this really possible in USA?

If it says "Blueberry Pie" and there are no blueberries in the product, isn't this trying to fool the consumers?

And the olive oil that has no olive oil in it...? And so on, and so on...

Like buying a Volvo but getting a Trabant...
  12. Joined
    23 Nov '09
    Moves
    22 Jun '17 09:45

Of course not. They don't stuff it down your throat do they?
  13. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    22 Jun '17 11:00
    Originally posted by Kegge
    Of course not. They don't stuff it down your throat do they?
    Well, no, but if there are no alternatives?
    And/or the consumers are lied to, and don't know that real olive oil isn't real at all, but all fake? That fake blueberries are real? That there is power of wood in the coffee? When lied to by the industry, how easy is it to make a good and healthy choice?

According to the video, the food in USA is of very low quality, or very expensive.
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Jun '17 11:11
    Well, no, but if there are no alternatives?
    And/or the consumers are lied to, and don't know that real olive oil isn't real at all, but all fake? That fake blueberries are real? That there is power of wood in the coffee? When lied to by the industry, how easy is it to make a good and healthy choice?

According to the video, the food in USA is of very low quality, or very expensive.
    Well, I know a bit about olive oil. I found a certain kind olf laser changed color when entering real olive oil and I saw the difference on grocery shelves.

I tried to patent my idea but stupid me, I mentioned the bit at a party in New Mexico and a few months later, there was a patent already granted strangely enough from a group in New Mexico. My bad.

But I know how to tell real olive oil though even if I was so stupid as to reveal my method at a party of academics.
  15. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    22 Jun '17 11:56
    Well, I know a bit about olive oil. I found a certain kind olf laser changed color when entering real olive oil and I saw the difference on grocery shelves.

I tried to patent my idea but stupid me, I mentioned the bit at a party in New Mexico and a few months later, there was a patent already granted strangely enough from a group in New Mexico. My bad. ...[text shortened]... ll real olive oil though even if I was so stupid as to reveal my method at a party of academics.
    If it says olive oil on the etiquette, it must be olive oil in there. Or else someone should be sued for fraud.

I Sweden a few years ago, a company making lasagna in portions. It was shown that they used horse meat instead of beef. It was a scandal and it was corrected pretty soon.
    Read more: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_horse_meat_scandal
    In USA they would just shrug and get away with it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree