1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    29 Oct '18 16:271 edit
    https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2018/10/whatever-happened-to-christine-blasey-ford.php

She got rich, that's what.

Christine Blasey Ford appears to have shuffled off the scene as quickly as she shuffled onto it. Surely, however, she must be in the process of reaping the rewards of her service to the cause. Surely some benefactor must be endowing a chair for her in academia dedicated to the study of the hippocampus.

She is apparently taking time to weigh the book offers and other opportunities that now come her way, but let us follow the (hard) money. Paul Sperry reports for RealClearPolitics that Ford has monetized her service to the cause in a big way: “‘Nothing to Gain,’ Kavanaugh Accuser Raises Nearly $1 Million.” And the cash is still rolling in. Sperry called on GoFundMe spokeswoman Katherine Cichy to get a handle on the uses to which the funds might be put.
    Cichy told him that Ford and her husband can withdraw as much as they want whenever they want for any purpose.

Sperry notes that “the total does not include a third account collecting $120,000 for an academic endowment in her name.” Hippocamupus, here we come.

Sperry sought to reach Ford to find out the uses to which she is putting the cash, but his attempts to reach Ford at her home and office were unsuccessful. This failure set a pattern. He also reached out to Ford’s legal team – including Washington attorneys Debra S. Katz, Lisa J. Banks and Michael R. Bromwich – to determine the scope of their financial assistance: “Asked specifically if any of them helped cover her travel or security costs, in addition to her legal bills, the lawyers declined comment.”

Sperry adds that the GoFundMe campaigns are only part of the financial assistance Ford is receiving. Asked during her testimony if anyone else besides her lawyers and crowd-funders were helping to finance her efforts, Ford answered that “there are members of the community in Palo Alto that have means to contribute to help me with the security detail, etc.”

“Etc.” leaves a lot of room to roam.

Sperry goes into details and considers the possibilities with a little help from Professor Jonathan Turley here.
  2. Germany
    Moves
    29 Oct '18 16:34
    Christine Blasey Ford is a tenured professor who makes good money. Do you really believe there is any likelihood that Ford made up false accusations for the money, knowing that she'd receive death threats in the process?
  3. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    29 Oct '18 16:42
    @kazetnagorra said
    Christine Blasey Ford is a tenured professor who makes good money. Do you really believe there is any likelihood that Ford made up false accusations for the money, knowing that she'd receive death threats in the process?
    Tenured professors may make "good money" compared to the median income, but they hardly make so much as to be rich or to neutralize economic incentives.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    29 Oct '18 17:02
    @kazetnagorra said
    DOCTOR Ford is a capitalist.

Good for her. She cashed in on the Trump derangement syndrome just like that NFL player who made a fortune with Nike for kneeling.
  5. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    29 Oct '18 17:08
    @sh76 said
    Tenured professors may make "good money" compared to the median income, but they hardly make so much as to be rich or to neutralize economic incentives.
    You seriously believe that she came forward with her story to make money?
  6. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    29 Oct '18 17:11
    @whodey said
    DOCTOR Ford is a capitalist.

Good for her. She cashed in on the Trump derangement syndrome just like that NFL player who made a fortune with Nike for kneeling.
    Colin Kaepernick's Nike deal is a drop in the bucket compared with what he would have made as a starting Quarterback in the NFL (which he would have been but for his protests).

And it is amazing to claim that he cashed in on the non-existent "Trump derangement syndrome"; it was Trump who thrust himself into the NFL player protests.
  7. Germany
    Moves
    29 Oct '18 17:14
    @sh76 said
    Sure, everything is possible, but it's extremely unlikely that someone would put their reputation on the line and subject themselves to intense harassment just for some money they don't even need.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Oct '18 18:29

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

9. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    29 Oct '18 18:59
    @no1marauder said
    You seriously believe that she came forward with her story to make money?
    No.

Disputing KN's rebuttal doesn't mean I subscribed to the original point.
  10. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    29 Oct '18 19:00
    @kazetnagorra said
    Sure, everything is possible, but it's extremely unlikely that someone would put their reputation on the line and subject themselves to intense harassment just for some money they don't even need.
    I don't know whether she does or doesn't need it, but I tend to agree that it's extremely unlikely that she came forward for the money.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Oct '18 19:02
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    An academic person isn't morally better than anyone else. Not sure why you'd suggest it.
  12. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    29 Oct '18 19:07
    @sh76 said
    I don't know whether she does or doesn't need it, but I tend to agree that it's extremely unlikely that she came forward for the money.
    If you follow the link at the end of the article cited in the OP, you find this:

https://www.realclearinvestigations.com/articles/2018/10/27/nothing_to_gain_kavanaugh_accusers_coffers_are_growing.html

Their main Palo Alto home has a current market value of $3.3 million, more than quadruple their purchase price. Their Santa Cruz beach house is worth another $1.03 million at today’s prices.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Both Ford and her husband hold well-compensated jobs in academia and biotech.

A research psychologist and biostatistician, Ford teaches at Palo Alto University in consortium with Stanford University. Data show the typical PAU professor earns a salary of $150,000 per year. She has written or helped write more than 50 books, journals and articles. Outside of academia, she does consulting work for pharmaceutical firms, including helping design clinical trials. According to a recent Who’s Who profile, she is also director of biostatistics for Corcept Therapeutics, a Menlo Park, Calif., drug development firm with $160 million in sales, for which she’s worked since 2003.

Her husband, Russell B. Ford, is a Silicon Valley biomechanical engineer and inventor who holds several patents on medical devices.

They hardly need the money but if they actually have hired 24 hour security that would be a significant expense.
  13. RSA
    Moves
    29 Oct '18 19:181 edit
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    In an alternative world where I did not desire a high degree of financial autonomy, perhaps I would have studied history or linguistics. Alas, I chose a finance degree.

I will probably return to my true interests once I have carved my own way in the world.
  14. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    29 Oct '18 19:49
    @whodey said
    https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2018/10/whatever-happened-to-christine-blasey-ford.php

She got rich, that's what.

Christine Blasey Ford appears to have shuffled off the scene as quickly as she shuffled onto it. Surely, however, she must be in the process of reaping the rewards of her service to the cause. Surely some benefactor must be endowing a chair for her in ...[text shortened]... into details and considers the possibilities with a little help from Professor Jonathan Turley here.
    So what you are saying is .......
    No basis to the accusations.
    Is that it ?

Oh and btw, whatever happened to Robert Mueller ??
    Or ... Was there no collusion ?
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Oct '18 20:282 edits

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree