1. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    30 Oct '18 08:17
    @sh76 said
    I don't know whether she does or doesn't need it, but I tend to agree that it's extremely unlikely that she came forward for the money.
    Are you sure?

https://www.lifezette.com/2018/09/anita-hills-case-proves-christine-blasey-ford-has-a-lot-to-gain/

Keep in mind that Ford never requested that her letter remain confidential past the point of talking to Feinstein about it. Also consider that 40% of sexual misconduct allegations are false when there is not a 1.7 million incentive. Do you still think it is unlikely?
  2. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    30 Oct '18 08:24
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Lyndon B. Johnson was a high school teacher before he went into politics. What do you think of him?
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Oct '18 18:06

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

4. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    31 Oct '18 07:07
    You can become a car salesman with much less education than a high school teacher. So what?

Lyndon Johnson could have sought a higher paying profession but didn't. It didn't make him an ethical person. He was probably a psychopath.

I thought your whole point was that if she was greedy she would have chose a higher paying profession. Was I mistaken?
  5. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    31 Oct '18 07:14
    That is ridiculous. Are you claiming lawyers are not greedy liars?
  6. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    31 Oct '18 15:47
    @metal-brain said
    https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/non%20sequitur
  7. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    31 Oct '18 19:15
    @sh76 said
    https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/non%20sequitur
    Coming from a lawyer it doesn't mean much. Perhaps you are the exception to the rule, but generally lawyers are greedy liars. They often become politicians of the corrupt kind. They always complain about how much their expenses are while they drive luxury cars. It is pathetic!
  8. Germany
    Moves
    31 Oct '18 19:18
    @metal-brain said
    Coming from a lawyer it doesn't mean much. Perhaps you are the exception to the rule, but generally lawyers are greedy liars. They often become politicians of the corrupt kind. They always complain about how much their expenses are while they drive luxury cars. It is pathetic!
    The vast majority of lawyers aren't politicians, let alone "of the corrupt kind."
  9. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    31 Oct '18 19:25
    @kazetnagorra said
    The vast majority of lawyers aren't politicians, let alone "of the corrupt kind."
    I never said the majority were lawyers. Do you just like making up lies about me?

A disproportionate amount of politicians, at least in the U.S., come from a lawyer background.
  10. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    31 Oct '18 19:271 edit
    @metal-brain said
    Without bother to challenge that ridiculous stereotype (why bother?),

Duchess said:
    People who value wealth (or who are greedy enough to lie in attempting to acquire it) tend not to choose academic careers.

You responded:

Can you please explain how your question was responsive to D's point?
  11. Germany
    Moves
    31 Oct '18 19:37
    @metal-brain said
    I never said the majority were lawyers. Do you just like making up lies about me?

A disproportionate amount of politicians, at least in the U.S., come from a lawyer background.
    Maybe you should look up the meaning of "often."
  12. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    01 Nov '18 05:16
    @kazetnagorra said
    Maybe you should look up the meaning of "often."
    What percentage of US congress are lawyers?
  13. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    01 Nov '18 05:26
    @sh76 said
    Without bother to challenge that ridiculous stereotype (why bother?),

Duchess said:
    People who value wealth (or who are greedy enough to lie in attempting to acquire it) tend not to choose academic careers.

You responded:

Can you please explain how your question was responsive to D's point?
    Oh. Okay, she is saying educated people are not as greedy. Still ridiculous.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Bezos

Bezos was born in Albuquerque, New Mexico and raised in Houston, Texas. He graduated from Princeton University in 1986 with degrees in electrical engineering and computer science.
  14. Germany
    Moves
    01 Nov '18 08:45
    @metal-brain said
    What percentage of US congress are lawyers?
    Murderers are often bad people.
    Bad people are often murderers.

Do you understand the difference?
  15. Germany
    Moves
    01 Nov '18 10:55
    @metal-brain said
    Oh. Okay, she is saying educated people are not as greedy. Still ridiculous.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Bezos

Bezos was born in Albuquerque, New Mexico and raised in Houston, Texas. He graduated from Princeton University in 1986 with degrees in electrical engineering and computer science.
    "Academic career" refers to a career in science, not just having a measly bachelor degree.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree