Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 06 May '15 22:18
    In 2012 Daniel Chong (a 23 year old university student) was detained
    by the US Drug Enforcement Agency. He was left alone--without any
    food or water--in a cell, having been completely forgotten, for five days.
    He survived (avoiding dehydration) only through drinking his own urine.
    Expecting to die, he used broken glass to write a farewell message on his arm.

About three years after Daniel Chong's ordeal, the DEA finally disciplined
    its employees held responsible for his (potentially fatal) mistreatment.
    Four agents were reprimanded. One agent was suspended for five
    days, and another agent was suspended for seven days without pay.
    Many people regard the DEA's self-imposed discipline as excessively lenient.

One wonders that if Daniel Chong had died in custody, whether the
    DEA would have enacted any harsher discipline or whether any of its
    agents would have been held criminally responsible.
  2. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    08 May '15 18:13
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    Expecting to die, he used broken glass to write a farewell message on h ...[text shortened]... ny harsher discipline or whether any of its
    This is a noteworthy incident, but hardly a common one. It could have been nothing more than a record keeping error.
  3. 10 May '15 18:22
    Originally posted by bill718
    This is a noteworthy incident, but hardly a common one. It could have been nothing more than a record keeping error.
    Oh, and that excuses it? If your bad record-keeping has the potential to kill people in the most abject of circumstances, you keep your records. How hard is that? Really? It's not like this is hard, unless you have a room-temperature IQ and racism coming out of your every pore, as, apparently, every single USAlien police-thug out there.
  4. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    12 May '15 17:24
    Expecting to die, he used broken glass to write a farewell message on h ...[text shortened]... ny harsher discipline or whether any of its
    He also apparently got a $4.1 million settlement.
  5. 12 May '15 18:03
    Originally posted by sh76
    He also apparently got a $4.1 million settlement.
    Pretty nice payday for less than a week's "work".
  6. 12 May '15 20:31
    Originally posted by normbenign to Sh76
    Pretty nice payday for less than a week's "work".
    So would the envious Normbenign like to volunteer to be put alone into a cell--*not* at
    time of his choosing (so Normbenign would *not* be able to prepare by 'filling up' with
    water)--without food and water for *an indefinite period lasting at least five days*?
    If Normbenign were to die, how much comfort would he draw from believing that his
    estate could file a lawsuit against the authorities?

In general, a person can survive (albeit in extreme discomfort) no more than three to
    four days without water. Daniel Chong survived only through drinking his own urine.
    And he could not have known when he would be 'discovered'. It was reasonable for
    Daniel Chong to expect to die before anyone found him. It also seems likely that he
    experienced PTSD after his ordeal. It was not a five day 'holiday' for Daniel Chong.

Daniel Chong's almost fatal ordeal does not warrant Normbenign's flippant remark about it.
  7. 13 May '15 00:33
    So would the envious Normbenign like to volunteer to be put alone into a cell--*not* at
    time of his choosing (so Normbenign would *not* be able to prepare by 'filling up' with
    water)--without food and water for *an indefinite period lasting at least five days*?
    If Normbenign were to die, how much comfort would he draw from believing that his
    estate c ...[text shortened]... g.

Daniel Chong's almost fatal ordeal does not warrant Normbenign's flippant remark about it.
    I don't condone or defend his situation. I simply commented that he was well compensated for his trouble. I don't care if you approve of my remark, flippant or otherwise.
  8. 15 May '15 00:00

Daniel Chong's almost fatal ordeal does not warrant Normbenign's flippant remark about it.[/b]
    I neither condemn or condone this remark but do note that a healthy way to deal with life's tragedies is humor, and I would suspect that this would be a " not unusual" response.
    I feel that a large compensation ( paid for by taxpayers) is warranted " but" $4.1000,000. seems excessive. I do add, good luck to him for getting it though.
  9. Standard member DeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    15 May '15 01:58 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by jimmac
    I neither condemn or condone this remark but do note that a healthy way to deal with life's tragedies is humor, and I would suspect that this would be a " not unusual" response.
    I feel that a large compensation ( paid for by taxpayers) is warranted " but" $4.1000,000. seems excessive. I do add, good luck to him for getting it though.
    No, it's an appropriate compensation. They left him for a week in solitary confinement without food or water. I know nothing more about the case than has been written here, but it could be warranted straightforwardly due to the psychological condition he was left in - he may not be able to work. Had that happened in Saddam Hussain's Iraq, to an Iraqi prisoner, it would have formed part of the US's justification for war. I find it difficult to believe it was a mistake and even if it was simply a mistake I find the penalties for the DEA officers ludicrously lenient.
  10. 15 May '15 02:47 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by DeepThought to jimmac
    No, it's an appropriate compensation. They left him for a week in solitary confinement without food or water. I know nothing more about the case than has been written here, but it could be warranted straightforwardly due to the psychological condition he was left in - he may not be able to work. Had that happened in Saddam Hussain's Iraq, to ...[text shortened]... d even if it was simply a mistake I find the penalties for the DEA officers ludicrously lenient.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incarceration_of_Daniel_Chong
  11. 21 May '15 02:09
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    No, it's an appropriate compensation. They left him for a week in solitary confinement without food or water. I know nothing more about the case than has been written here, but it could be warranted straightforwardly due to the psychological condition he was left in - he may not be able to work. Had that happened in Saddam Hussain's Iraq, to an Iraqi ...[text shortened]... d even if it was simply a mistake I find the penalties for the DEA officers ludicrously lenient.
    No, it's an appropriate compensation.

How many people make $4.1 million in a lifetime?

I find the penalties for the DEA officers ludicrously lenient.

The fines didn't punish the alleged bad cops at all. It punished the taxpayers, who weren't involved in the incident.
  12. Standard member RJHinds
    The Near Genius
    23 May '15 22:48
    Apparently, what happens is that those wronged by the Police get millioms of dollars in damages. What i want to know is what happens when demonstrators and rioters go wrong?
  13. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    13 Jun '15 00:01
    Well Duchess...I view your comments as an attack on me personally!
  14. 13 Jun '15 01:23
    Originally posted by normbenign
    [b]No, it's an appropriate compensation.

How many people make $4.1 million in a lifetime?

I find the penalties for the DEA officers ludicrously lenient.

The fines didn't punish the alleged bad cops at all. It punished the taxpayers, who weren't involved in the incident.[/b]
    Would it have made more sense to award the victim a more reasonable amount to be paid by the officers who wronged him?
  15. Standard member redbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    13 Jun '15 14:59
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Would it have made more sense to award the victim a more reasonable amount to be paid by the officers who wronged him?
    If the poor guy had to drink his own piss for 5 Days he deserved all the compensation.