1. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    15 Jul '09 23:42
    Originally posted by Wajoma
    Each one of these has probably had threads spent on them.

Minimum wage: An hour of my time belongs to me you have no right to dictate what I can sell that hour for.

ADL's: Other than a few cases that make the news this still happens and will continue to happen, if a business owner chooses an employee based on how they look rather than their ability, ...[text shortened]... know better than you or I or any of their fellow man how best we should run our own lives.
    You know nothing, Wajoma. If your life were to be left entirely in your own hands you'd probably be dead by now.

But let me address your last point - that workers have the right to go somewhere else. Let us use an analogy.

Let's say there is a continent with ten countries and that each is run by a brutal dictator. Despite this, they maintain open borders. Citizens from one country can freely move to another as they see fit. Now, the people are free to move from one brutal dictatorship to another, but they are not free to choose not to live under a brutal dictatorship. They're all brutal dictators. The freedom to choose between ten different brutal dictatorships does not equal freedom on how to live your life. It is a false freedom. Every choice you make is essentially the same, which is the same as having no choice.

Now assume that instead of countries you are dealing with companies.
  2. Standard memberRedmike
    Godless Commie
    Glasgow
    Moves
    15 Jul '09 23:42
    Each one of these has probably had threads spent on them.

Minimum wage: An hour of my time belongs to me you have no right to dictate what I can sell that hour for.

ADL's: Other than a few cases that make the news this still happens and will continue to happen, if a business owner chooses an employee based on how they look rather than their ability, ...[text shortened]... know better than you or I or any of their fellow man how best we should run our own lives.
    Do you think there should be legislation to impose a minimum age at which people can work?

Or would this be busybody interference in your supposedly free market - if a company wants to hire 5-year-olds and they're willing to work, why should the state or anyone else interfere?
  3. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    15 Jul '09 23:45
    Are companies not free to form on this basis now?
    Technically, yes. And some do. But the degree of institutional support behind traditional, capitalist managed firms is overwhelming. My objective would be to raise the level of institutional support for labor managed firms. This would make its availability better known and make the mechanism more accessible.
  4. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    15 Jul '09 23:50
    Originally posted by rwingett
    You know nothing, Wajoma. If your life were to be left entirely in your own hands you'd probably be dead by now.

But let me address your last point - that workers have the right to go somewhere else. Let us use an analogy.

Let's say there is a continent with ten countries and that each is run by a brutal dictator. Despite this, they maintain open bo ...[text shortened]... as having no choice.

Now assume that instead of countries you are dealing with companies.
    Brutal dictators use force and threats of force. Companies do not.

Your analogy is the worst I've seen on RHP.

rwinrett say:"You know nothing, Wajoma. If your life were to be left entirely in your own hands you'd probably be dead by now"

True evil speaks. I should pass my life over to your hands? You have some higher qualification than I at running MY LIFE?
  5. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    15 Jul '09 23:53

Your analogy is the worst I've seen on RHP.

rwinrett say:"You know nothing, Wajoma. If your life were to be left entirely in your own hands you'd probably be dead by now"

True evil speaks. I should pass my life over to your hands? You have some higher qualification than I at running MY LIFE?
    😴
  6. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    15 Jul '09 23:55
    Originally posted by Redmike
    Do you think there should be legislation to impose a minimum age at which people can work?

Or would this be busybody interference in your supposedly free market - if a company wants to hire 5-year-olds and they're willing to work, why should the state or anyone else interfere?
    Don't see how you jump from minimum wage to minimum age.

On the first point, I'm not sure I can make it any clearer. An hour of my time belongs to me, you have no right to dictate what I can sell it for.

The second point, yes there is a minimum age of consent, young people have not developed enough to understand the concept of rights and so they do not have the right to go to the grocery store and buy a M16.

Almost as bad as rwingetts companies/brutal dictators analogy.

Come on guys you're way off your game.
  7. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    15 Jul '09 23:58
    Technically, yes. And some do. But the degree of institutional support behind traditional, capitalist managed firms is overwhelming. My objective would be to raise the level of institutional support for labor managed firms. This would make its availability better known and make the mechanism more accessible.
    Translation: rwingett wants successful capitalist companies to pay for his shonky ant heap collectivist ideals.
  8. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    15 Jul '09 23:59
    😴
    It's a serious question.

Obviously you see yourself as one of the super qualified, can you name some others?
  9. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    16 Jul '09 00:00
    Translation: rwingett wants successful capitalist companies to pay for his shonky ant heap collectivist ideals.
    Well, I guess that's the end of that discussion. Thanks for playing.
  10. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    16 Jul '09 00:03
    Need a teaspoon of cement in your coffee?

You don't need to respond to me, carry on with your intellectualism.
  11. Joined
    09 Mar '09
    Moves
    16 Jul '09 01:202 edits
    am not sure about the cement ...
  12. Standard memberRedmike
    Godless Commie
    Glasgow
    Moves
    16 Jul '09 01:29
    Don't see how you jump from minimum wage to minimum age.

On the first point, I'm not sure I can make it any clearer. An hour of my time belongs to me, you have no right to dictate what I can sell it for.

The second point, yes there is a minimum age of consent, young people have not developed enough to understand the concept of rights and so they do no ...[text shortened]... ad as rwingetts companies/brutal dictators analogy.

Come on guys you're way off your game.
    So, you accept there should be a legal limit on the age at which someone can go out to work?

If so, who should set this limit?
  13. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    16 Jul '09 01:42
    That was good. This site has so many smart asses.
  14. Donationrichjohnson
    TANSTAAFL
    Walking on sunshine
    Moves
    16 Jul '09 02:01

Tra ...[text shortened]... ingett wants successful capitalist companies to pay for his shonky ant heap collectivist ideals.
    As fun as it would be to watch this discussion devolve into the inevitable train wreck it will become, a couple of points:

rwingett: One reason there is "institutional support" for capital-based management of firms is that it is a well known system with a track record for making profits. If you can demonstrate that a labor managed firm will be profitable, you should be able to find investors.

Wajoma: I don't think he's talking about "successful capitalist companies" paying for anything, he's talking about investment in a different sort of company. I'm not sure how it would work, but it doesn't necessarily sound bad. (After all, some pretty "shonky" things can go on when large corporations are controlled by a small group of people with incentives to maximize short term personal profit, even at the expense of the company.)
  15. Joined
    21 Nov '07
    Moves
    16 Jul '09 04:121 edit
    Thanks to a little something I'd like to call brilliant, and some call union: giving the worker a voice. If
    capitalist despots have the possibility to run their companies in true dictator-manners, they will (as
    history has shown). After all, in reality, putting all the wealth of the world in the hands of a relative
    few capitalists, is no different than having kings or dictators. Depending on their mood of the day and
    their general disposition, we can have great lives or miserable ones. Laws, governments and union
    agreements are what makes the lives of the workers (majority of the population) endurable if not
    splendid under a capitalist rule. That is, if you happen to also live in the same country where those
    benefits has been introduced. Otherwise, you're pretty much screwed from the get go.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree