1. Standard memberempovsun
    Adepto 'er perfectu
    Moves
    11 Oct '13 03:37
    Apparently, the House of Representatives think their gym is essential, during the government shutdown, but paying their employees on time isn't. I have a few family members that work for our government, and they have not been payed for hours they have already worked prior to the shutdown!

Source: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/09/congress-government-shutdown_n_4065432.html
  2. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    11 Oct '13 05:00
    Originally posted by empovsun
    Apparently, the House of Representatives think their gym is essential, during the government shutdown, but paying their employees on time isn't. I have a few family members that work for our government, and they have not been payed for hours they have already worked prior to the shutdown!

Source: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/09/congress-government-shutdown_n_4065432.html
    Why play games.

Why not let the CR go to the House Floor and open the government.
  3. Standard memberempovsun
    Adepto 'er perfectu
    Moves
    11 Oct '13 10:49
    Originally posted by moon1969
    Why play games.

Why not let the CR go to the House Floor and open the government.
    ...are you talking to me?

I believe the government should pay their employees for the hours they have already worked. Whether you are a democrat or a republican is of no importance. I'm sure we all feel the same way about getting paid in the private sector as those that work in the public sector. No one likes a dead beat!
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    11 Oct '13 15:24

Obama decides what's essential not Congress.
  5. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    11 Oct '13 16:42
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Obama decides what's essential not Congress.
    http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2013/10/10/204893/in-federal-shutdown-deciding-whos.html

"There’s not even useful history to guide anyone. After the first of the 1995-96 shutdowns, the House subcommittee on civil service convened hearings to determine what was “essential,” but it didn’t reach a conclusion.

Mica [Rep. John Mica, R-Fla], who chaired the hearing, noted at the time that “the execution of the shutdown was, in many instances, disorganized and illogical, at best, and oftentimes (a) chaotic experience.” His Democratic colleague, Moran, complained that there’d been an inconsistent application of the guidelines used to determine who works and who doesn’t.

They agreed this week that little has changed: “We never have really defined what’s essential, what’s not,” Mica said. “Shame on us, because we’ve been here before and we didn’t resolve this.” "

He's saying congress hasn't resolved the essential/nonessential issue.
  6. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    11 Oct '13 17:36
    ...are you talking to me?

I believe the government should pay their employees for the hours they have already worked. Whether you are a democrat or a republican is of no importance. I'm sure we all feel the same way about getting paid in the private sector as those that work in the public sector. No one likes a dead beat!
    The House Republicans shutdown the government and prevent what you want.
  7. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    11 Oct '13 17:44

My chess set, bible, and herb garden are essential. Congress is not essential. 😏
  8. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    11 Oct '13 18:30

This is a symptom.

The Democrats have never shutdown the government or threaten a US default to obtain as ransom what they could not obtain through legislative democratic process. Only Boehner and the Tea Party has done that.

If you want to defund or kill the ACA, then get a majority of votes in both houses of Congress, and a signature by the President. Otherwise, the ACA remains funded and the law of the land. Why is that so hard to understand?
  9. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    11 Oct '13 18:56
    Originally posted by JS357
    http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2013/10/10/204893/in-federal-shutdown-deciding-whos.html

"There’s not even useful history to guide anyone. After the first of the 1995-96 shutdowns, the House subcommittee on civil service convened hearings to determine what was “essential,” but it didn’t reach a conclusion.

Mica [Rep. John Mica, R-Fla], who chaired the hearing ...[text shortened]... esolve this.” "

He's saying [b]congress
    hasn't resolved the essential/nonessential issue.[/b]
    How does that change what I said? When it comes to the things that have been closed down, Obama has made the decision.
  10. Standard memberempovsun
    Adepto 'er perfectu
    Moves
    12 Oct '13 01:19
    Originally posted by moon1969
    This is a symptom.

The Democrats have never shutdown the government or threaten a US default to obtain as ransom what they could not obtain through legislative democratic process. Only Boehner and the Tea Party has done that.

If you want to defund or kill the ACA, then get a majority of votes in both houses of Congress, and a signature by the President. Otherwise, the ACA remains funded and the law of the land. Why is that so hard to understand?
    I think we are in agreement that the government needs to do its damn job that we pay them to do, and reopen the government asap. Either reopen the government, or stop taxing me. It's as simple as that.
  11. Standard memberempovsun
    Adepto 'er perfectu
    Moves
    12 Oct '13 01:19
    Originally posted by bill718
    My chess set, bible, and herb garden are essential. Congress is not essential. 😏
    No, it is not essential, but we continue to pay for it, don't we? 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree