1. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    03 May '16 16:55
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Here you go Norm:

http://educationnext.org/gender-gap/

One explanation that comes to mind is which test is being used to determine math achievement. I know that Oklahoma's math tests are much different than the ACT or the SAT. One glaring weakness of the Oklahoma Geometry test is that all figures are drawn to scale. ACT nor SAT math sections have pictures drawn to scale.
    There is so much self serving BS in that selection by the two education professionals, it is hard to glean anything positive from it.

There are undeniable societal problems, which differ with gender. Always have been, and always will be. No matter how we try to equalize society, females will always bear the children, and males will always sire them. I doubt there will ever be a total elimination of gender norms
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    03 May '16 22:57
    So are you of the opinion that the male brain and the female brain function in the same manner and that there is no real reason why boys should score better in math and girls score better in reading?
  3. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    03 May '16 23:215 edits
    So are you of the opinion that the male brain and the female brain function in the same manner and that there is no real reason why boys should score better in math and girls score better in reading?
    It seems quite possible that female and male brains might have developed some relative functional differences—on average! Do you think that any such differences are completely (or even largely) independent of environmental (e.g., social, historical and cultural) factors? If so, why?

Do you think that any such differences are not subject to statistical discrimination? If so why?

Do you think that the shape of any such statistical distribution (are you aware of any such statistical distribution? ) suggests significant differences in innate female/male abilities, rather than (at most) differences at the margin due to the aforementioned environmental factors? If so, why?

Why would you think (if you do) that (progressive) changes in environmental factors (such as education and opportunities generally) would not completely change whatever statistical distribution might appear to reflect current environmental conditions?
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 May '16 23:431 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

5. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    03 May '16 23:512 edits
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Yes. My comments themselves were predicated on "cultural conditioning" that might itself clearly be differentiated across cultures.

EDIT: I missed your edit--just to reiterate: I agree. (That first thumbs-up is mine).
  6. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    04 May '16 00:33
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    It seems nearly impossible to separate gender, race and other variables, almost too numerous to mention.
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    04 May '16 14:53
    Originally posted by vistesd
    It seems quite possible that female and male brains might have developed some relative functional differences—on average! Do you think that any such differences are completely (or even largely) independent of environmental (e.g., social, historical and cultural) factors? If so, why?

http://www.webmd.com/balance/features/how-male-female-brains-differ?page=2

Try reading up on the differences between male and female brains
  8. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    04 May '16 15:012 edits
    http://www.webmd.com/balance/features/how-male-female-brains-differ?page=2

Try reading up on the differences between male and female brains
    Might want to try this one too:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/12/081209100948.htm

Helps to explain why men in general seem to be better at chess and better at math. When I say math, I mean math that doesn't require great reading skills. The reading skills will get in the way of guys doing the math. Girls generally don't have a problem with reading which explains why so much of today's math is embedded in paragraphs.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree