1. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    31 Jan '11 20:33
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Define 'great'.
    I, too, was wondering about how he chose to define 'great.'

Off the top of my head, I will choose the Bambuti people of the Democratic Republic of Congo as the 'greatest.' They are a pygmy hunter-gatherer society of 30,000 to 40,000 people, which (as Wikipedia says) has "no ruling group or lineage, no overlying political organization, and little social structure. The Bambuti are an egalitarian society in which the band is the highest form of social organization."

Those are qualities that would conform with 'greatness', in my opinion.
  2. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    03 Feb '11 17:181 edit
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Those are qualities that would conform with 'greatness', in my opinion.
    But don't necessarily conform with established definitions of "civilisation". Not that this is necessarily a criticism...

Edit - another quota from Wikipedia:

"This system of classification contains four categories:
    * Hunter-gatherer bands, which are generally egalitarian.
    * Horticultural/pastoral societies in which there are generally two inherited social classes; chief and commoner.
    * Highly stratified structures, or chiefdoms, with several inherited social classes: king, noble, freemen, serf and slave.
    * Civilizations, with complex social hierarchies and organized, institutional governments."

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree