1. Joined
    27 Dec '05
    Moves
    05 Mar '12 18:56
    Originally posted by dryhump
    Clearly not. Billions of people know what he did with Monica in the oval office.
    Billions of people would like to know what happend in "the oval orifice " ??
  2. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    06 Mar '12 01:41
    Originally posted by kmax87
    What, they sack McDonald's employees for lying about having affairs?
    At MacDonalds they most likely fire employees for having sex on the premises, never mind lying about it.
  3. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    06 Mar '12 01:44
    One you've changed to violence as a course of action, violence will be your only option. Very difficult to go back to diplomacy. From what I've been left to believe is that a strike in Iran amounts to a punch in the nose, but is not a permanent solution.
  4. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    06 Mar '12 01:45
    Originally posted by FMF
    He was acquitted though, wasn't he, at the end of his impeachment trial?
    No, two separate things. He was impeached by the House, but the Senate failed to convict. That isn't an acquittal.

The charges stemming from lying under oath, resulted in a conviction, a fine, suspended sentence, the loss of his law license in Arkansas.

In neither case was he acquitted.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 Mar '12 03:27
    Originally posted by normbenign
    No, two separate things. He was impeached by the House, but the Senate failed to convict. That isn't an acquittal.
    You may feel "the Senate failed to convict" but Clinton was acquitted by the Senate on 12th February 1999 with 55 senators, including both Democrats and Republicans, voting "not guilty". These details are to be found in the Congressional Record. I can appreciate that you felt these senators "failed" in some way, but Clinton was acquitted nevertheless.
  6. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    07 Mar '12 14:19
    Originally posted by FMF
    Nations "talk" to each other with their actions [can't find the quote from the Cuban Missile Crisis movie, but you know what I mean]. Surely the U.S. could not possibly wage war on Iran right now or even for years to come? So what is the second swing by of the U.S.S. Abraham Lincoln "saying"?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-17027768
    What is a U.S. Aircraft carrier saying?? Well not much...boats don't generally talk. HE HE HE (I crack myself up sometimes!!)😀😀😀😀
  7. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    09 Mar '12 17:35
    Originally posted by FMF
    You may feel "the Senate failed to convict" but Clinton was acquitted by the Senate on 12th February 1999 with 55 senators, including both Democrats and Republicans, voting "not guilty". These details are to be found in the Congressional Record. I can appreciate that you felt these senators "failed" in some way, but Clinton was acquitted nevertheless.
    The process of impeachment is entirely different from a common trial for felonious acts in a regular court. Failure to convict in the impeachment process isn't acquittal.

Clinton was later convicted of perjury and contempt of court in an actual court room and judge.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Mar '12 23:131 edit
    Failure to convict in the impeachment process isn't acquittal.
    Clinton was acquitted by the Senate regardless of whether you claim he wasn't. The fact that he was prosecuted at a later stage is not relevant to the fact that the impeachment process ended with his acquittal. The senators did not vote "Fail To Convict" or "Successfully Convict", they could vote "Guilty" but most of them voted "Not Guilty" so Clinton was acquitted.
  9. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    10 Mar '12 13:07
    At MacDonalds they most likely fire employees for having sex on the premises, never mind lying about it.
    Well it looks like McDonalds closed that loophole of getting away with having sex on the premises in the standing position...
  10. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    10 Mar '12 13:38
    Clinton lied under oath about getting head on the side. In contrast, Reagan bypass and trashed the Constitution in trading arms to Iran for money and hostages, and diverting the money to the Contras in Nicaragua in violation of the Boland Amendment.

I am not saying what Clinton did is right, but Reagan deserves to be impeached more than Clinton. By the way, Bill Clinton is the most popular politician in the country. I do miss those good old days of the two Clinton terms.

The Boland Amendment was the name given to three U.S. legislative amendments between 1982 and 1984, all aimed at limiting U.S. government assistance to the Contras in Nicaragua. The first Boland Amendment was to the House Appropriations Bill of 1982, which was attached as a rider to the Defense Appropriations Act of 1983, named for the Massachusetts Democrat, Representative Edward Patrick Boland, who authored it. The House of Representatives passed the Defense Appropriations Act 411-0 on December 8, 1982[1] and it was signed by President Ronald Reagan on December 21, 1982.[2] The amendment outlawed U.S. assistance to the Contras for the purpose of overthrowing the Nicaraguan government, while allowing assistance for other purposes.[3]

Beyond restricting overt U.S. support of the Contras, the most significant effect of the Boland Amendment was the Iran-Contra Affair, during which the Reagan Administration illegally circumvented the Amendment in order to continue supplying arms to the Contras, behind the back of Congress.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boland_Amendment

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree