1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    14 Nov '16 09:17
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Surely it will be political suicide to repeal Medicare? Maybe this is Paul Ryan's payback: just push through extremely unpopular measures and force Trump to defend them.
    Well it wasn't political suicide to put such a proposal in the Republican platform though it would primarily screw people under 55.http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/246207-gop-platform-embraces-ryan-plans-for-medicare-medicaid
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    14 Nov '16 12:10
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Paul Ryan was on Fox News pushing for the privatization of Medicare; doubt very much that seniors (who voted heavily for Republicans) will like that very much. We'll see if Trump goes along with the Congressional Republican agenda; if so, I suspect the Dems fortunes will rebound fairly quickly.
    Ryan pushing for privatizing Medicare doesn't surprise me. He's an Ayn Rand Republican.

Social Security is next. Despite Republicans telling us for years that it is practically insolvent and will "run out of money" by year X, it actually has trillions of dollars and is backed by US Treasury bonds. This is the real target of the Republicans, but they know most Americans won't stand for privatizing it and sending all those funds to the banksters, and so they plan to erode support for it by knocking down perhaps the best medical insurance program in existence first. Typical.
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    14 Nov '16 12:14
    Originally posted by mchill
    The Democrats don't need saving. With Trump in the White House and the GOP in control of Congress, all the Democrats have to do, is sit on the sidelines, and wait for the political honeymoon to end. The population will soon discover Trump and Co. won't be able to keep even 20% of their lofty promises, and the mood of the country will swing in the other direct ...[text shortened]... progress. Trump and Co. is on a very short leash here. It should be interesting to watch. 😉
    As long as their dumb-ass policies don't push us into another depression, like last time the Republicans controlled everything in 1929.
  4. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    14 Nov '16 15:10
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    As long as their dumb-ass policies don't push us into another depression, like last time the Republicans controlled everything in 1929.
    Are you still doing that thing about the last time Republicans controlled all 3 branches was 1929?

Weren't you alive in 2003-2007?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_elections,_2002

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_elections,_2004#United_States_Congress
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    14 Nov '16 15:36
    Originally posted by vivify
    Hopefully, work with Trump to improve the country, rather than be obstructionist a-holes like Reps were the last 8 years. Trump will get credited as a more effective president than Obama, since Dems have cared more about social improvements, and are more likely to compromise.
    If I'm right, Trump is the politician with an "R" by his name that will cause conservatives to adopt all of Obama's policies.

People are just that stupid.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    14 Nov '16 15:37
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    We can only hope for more stimulus plans to save us. 😛
  7. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    14 Nov '16 15:42
    Originally posted by whodey
    We can only hope for more stimulus plans to save us. 😛
    I wouldn't be surprised if that is going to happen. If it does we can only hope it is used to benefit the USA.
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    14 Nov '16 15:45
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    With Soros paying for it all. LOL
    Soros has burned down economies of entire countries so why not cities?
  9. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    14 Nov '16 16:22
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Mr. Sanders perhaps?
    They do say hindsight is 2020...
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Nov '16 16:282 edits
    Originally posted by Teinosuke
    They do say hindsight is 2020...
    I am not so convinced that Mr. Sanders would have defeated Mr. Trump. America is far
    more racially divided and far more right-wing that we were previously led to believe.
  11. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    14 Nov '16 17:17
    Originally posted by sh76
    Are you still doing that thing about the last time Republicans controlled all 3 branches was 1929?

Weren't you alive in 2003-2007?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_elections,_2002

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_elections,_2004#United_States_Congress
    That didn't work out all that great either.
  12. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    14 Nov '16 17:21
    I am not so convinced that Mr. Sanders would have defeated Mr. Trump. America is far
    more racially divided and far more right-wing that we were previously led to believe.
    It was a pun...
  13. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    14 Nov '16 17:59
    That Hillary won the popular vote and that the Democrats gained in both the Senate and the House (albeit by disappointing margins) makes an assertion that the country is " far more right-wing that we were previously led to believe" hard to believe.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Nov '16 18:351 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    That Hillary won the popular vote and that the Democrats gained in both the Senate and the House (albeit by disappointing margins) makes an assertion that the country is " far more right-wing that we were previously led to believe" hard to believe.
    Perhaps you are correct and I am mistaken, I just don't think the USA is ready for the kind of radical policies that Mr. Sanders was advocating. e.g funding college education with a tax on Wall St.
  15. Germany
    Moves
    14 Nov '16 18:48
    Perhaps you are correct and I am mistaken, I just don't think the USA is ready for the kind of radical policies that Mr. Sanders was advocating. e.g funding college education with a tax on Wall St.
    It's a sad state of affairs when common sense policies practiced widely around the globe, like taxpayer-subsidized education, is labeled "radical."

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree