1. Standard membersmw6869
    Granny
    Parts Unknown
    Moves
    12 Mar '11 20:17
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Business! Mankind was my business. The common welfare was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The dealings of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!
    Yeah, yeah, yeah, But how much can ya bench ?

GRANNY.
  2. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    12 Mar '11 21:05
    Business! Mankind was my business. The common welfare was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The dealings of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!
    LMAO!!!! What the hell are you talking about?! You sound like you are the Messiah or something !?
    Anyone who has run a successful real business ( not theory you learned in a liberal university)knows you pay on experience,performance,not solely education levels.
  3. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    12 Mar '11 21:07
    Originally posted by smw6869
    Yeah, yeah, yeah, But how much can ya bench ?

GRANNY.
    LOL! I think in this case it would be more appropriate to ask "how much do you squat ?"
  4. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    12 Mar '11 21:19
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    LMAO!!!! What the hell are you talking about?! You sound like you are the Messiah or something !?
    Anyone who has run a successful real business ( not theory you learned in a liberal university)knows you pay on experience,performance,not solely education levels.
    It's a quote from 'A Christmas Carol', where the ghost of Jacob Marley comes to warn Ebenezer Scrooge. You, in this instance, would be Scrooge. But even Scrooge found out that there was more to life than business.
  5. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    12 Mar '11 21:32
    It's a quote from 'A Christmas Carol', where the ghost of Jacob Marley comes to warn Ebenezer Scrooge. You, in this instance, would be Scrooge. But even Scrooge found out that there was more to life than business.
    I like this movie quote better.
    "It's not personal. It's business." Michael Corleone (The Godfather)

You got family,charity,etc. The Government in a free society should have nothing to do w/it!
    People like you seem to think Government is the answer for all things but in the same breath turn around and talk about having "a life".

What type of "life" is it to be penalized and threatened w/the use of force to hand over most of your hard earned money to the next man because he was not as savvy as you?
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Mar '11 22:20
    Originally posted by uzless
    Basing this only on Education level, let's see you right wing nutjobs put down what you think an average fair market yearly salary in the private sector should be for the following groups of people:

highschool dropout
    highschool graduate
    community college graduate
    univerisity graduate
    doctoral Univeristy degree (PhD)
    The crazy winged nut jobs are not in the habit of labeling and judging people based upon a degree they may or may not have attained. In fact, a fair amount of graduates from high school can't even read.
  7. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    13 Mar '11 03:35
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    LOL! I think in this case it would be more appropriate to ask "how much do you squat ?"
    Sir,

A genuine Laugh Out Loud

thanks 🙂
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    13 Mar '11 08:10
    $1,000,000 highschool dropout
    $1,100,000 highschool graduate
    $1,200,000 community college graduate
    $1,300,000 univerisity graduate
    $1,400,000 doctoral Univeristy degree (PhD)
    So you do recognize that education deserves greater pay, but not much?
    Should salary just be based on education, or should the amount of work actually done and difficulty of that work be taken into consideration? How does one judge difficulty?
  9. Germany
    Moves
    13 Mar '11 10:10
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Should salary just be based on education, or should the amount of work actually done and difficulty of that work be taken into consideration? How does one judge difficulty?
    The economist, mathematician and physicist Jan Tinbergen (who won the first Nobel Prize for economics) addresses this question. He argued that a qualified person does not need to paid much more than an unqualified person because generally people with more talent also have to make less effort to accomplish a certain difficult task. Also, he claimed that if the income differences in a company exceed a 1:5 ratio it will be harmful for the productivity of the company (and he's probably right, although the 1:5 figure is somewhat arbitrary).
  10. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    13 Mar '11 11:31
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I do not support the idea that everyone should be paid 'exactly' the same amount. Neither do I support the obscene disparities in wealth that are now prevalent. I am in favor of a great compression toward the middle, whereby the poor are much better off, the rich are far less opulent, while still leaving room for 'incentive.'

The 'difficulty' of work is of absolutely no consideration now. The most back-breaking jobs are frequently the lowest paid. What is currently rewarded is not hard work, but the ability to manipulate the system to ones advantage.
  11. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    13 Mar '11 11:51
    I do not support the idea that everyone should be paid 'exactly' the same amount. Neither do I support the obscene disparities in wealth that are now prevalent. I am in favor of a great compression toward the middle, whereby the poor are much better off, the rich are far less opulent, while still leaving room for 'incentive.'

The 'difficulty' of work is ...[text shortened]... tly rewarded is not hard work, but the ability to manipulate the system to ones advantage.
    Of course it's not the " 'difficulty' " of the work, nor is it people manipulating the system, it's our old friend - supply and demand - heard of it?
  12. Germany
    Moves
    13 Mar '11 12:13
    Originally posted by Wajoma
    Of course it's not the " 'difficulty' " of the work, nor is it people manipulating the system, it's our old friend - supply and demand - heard of it?
    I'm sure there are millions of people who could have done a much better job at running Enron, Parmalat, etc. Where does "supply and demand" enter this picture?
  13. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    13 Mar '11 14:20
    Not sure where all these eggs came from...musta been from all the chickens in here
  14. Joined
    27 Mar '05
    Moves
    13 Mar '11 15:56
    Originally posted by uzless
    Basing this only on Education level, let's see you right wing nutjobs put down what you think an average fair market yearly salary in the private sector should be for the following groups of people:

highschool dropout
    highschool graduate
    community college graduate
    univerisity graduate
    doctoral Univeristy degree (PhD)
    Depends on what the job is. It would be idiotic to say what the average yearly salary should be for someone based solely on educational level and not on what they're actually doing.

The private sector doesn't, and never has, based salaries solely on education levels. And an "average" would be absolutely meaningless anyway.
  15. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    13 Mar '11 19:39
    Originally posted by TheBloop
    Depends on what the job is. It would be idiotic to say what the average yearly salary should be for someone based solely on educational level and not on what they're actually doing.

The private sector doesn't, and never has, based salaries solely on education levels. And an "average" would be absolutely meaningless anyway.
    Seconded. Moreover, the government doesn't base salary solely on education either.

This whole discussion is pretty ridiculous BTW.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree