1. Cape Town
    Moves
    15 Mar '11 20:13
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Well, the problem is that in most jobs productivity is very hard to measure.
    But should salaries be based on productivity? A moment ago it was 'difficulty'.

I do think the current system is extremely unfair and biased towards management. However I do think that education counts a lot and should be rewarded. It should also be encouraged and made readily available to all - if not practically forced on people. However, this education doesn't necessarily have to be academic it could be practical - and should be for many jobs.
  2. Germany
    Moves
    15 Mar '11 20:59
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    But should salaries be based on productivity? A moment ago it was 'difficulty'.

I do think the current system is extremely unfair and biased towards management. However I do think that education counts a lot and should be rewarded. It should also be encouraged and made readily available to all - if not practically forced on people. However, this educat ...[text shortened]... doesn't necessarily have to be academic it could be practical - and should be for many jobs.
    Yes, I think that ideally the salary should depend on productivity (or prospects of future productivity).
  3. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    16 Mar '11 02:561 edit
    How about we use a free market system and whatever everyone is able to earn is what they get? I don't think this a fairness or should question. If hard work and education matter then someone should get paid. If skill and education don't matter then it won't fetch a premium.
  4. Playing with matches
    Moves
    16 Mar '11 03:401 edit
    Originally posted by uzless
    Basing this only on Education level, let's see you right wing nutjobs put down what you think an average fair market yearly salary in the private sector should be for the following groups of people:

highschool dropout
    highschool graduate
    community college graduate
    univerisity graduate
    doctoral Univeristy degree (PhD)
    highschool dropout - $10/hr Max - War is war loser.
    highschool graduate - $15-20/hr - Paper hat or no paper hat.
    community college graduate - I'm going to assume this a a qualified tradesperson and not some artso loser $25-75/hr depending upon skill level.
    univerisity graduate $50 - 150/hr
    doctoral Univeristy degree (PhD) - Unemployable. Squat.
  5. Germany
    Moves
    16 Mar '11 07:57
    Originally posted by quackquack
    How about we use a free market system and whatever everyone is able to earn is what they get? I don't think this a fairness or should question. If hard work and education matter then someone should get paid. If skill and education don't matter then it won't fetch a premium.
    I don't think this a fairness or should question. If hard work and education matter then someone should get paid.

Please elaborate...
  6. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    16 Mar '11 12:48
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    I don't think this a fairness or [b]should question. If hard work and education matter then someone should get paid.

Please elaborate...[/b]
    We don't need to make an artificial pay scale. The free market will decide what one is willing to pay to someone else. If no one wants to pay a high school drop out, it won't bother me one bit. If people will hire a high school drop out then everyone can adjust their behavior accordingly and perhaps not "waste" their time in high school.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree