30 Oct '13 01:24

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

2. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    30 Oct '13 02:23
    Originally posted by Eladar
    http://investigations.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/10/28/21213547-obama-admin-knew-millions-could-not-keep-their-health-insurance?lite

[b]George Schwab, 62, of North Carolina, said he was "perfectly happy" with his plan from Blue Cross Blue Shield, which also insured his wife for a $228 monthly premium. But this past September, he was surprised to receive a lett ...[text shortened]... ay the answer is yes, but for the rest of us the answer is no.

NBC isn't exacly Fox News lol.
    The whole thing is a scam. They are deliberately tapping the wealth of this nation.
  3. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    30 Oct '13 09:592 edits
    Originally posted by caissad4
    I can't afford it either. :'(:'(:'(
    If you can't afford insurance through the exchange, how could you afford insurance on the individual market?

My brother age 43 in Texas just enrolled in the ACA Bronze plan with Blue Cross Blue Shield for $143/month, and that is with no subsidy. He is very happy.
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    30 Oct '13 14:211 edit
    Originally posted by moon1969
    If you can't afford insurance through the exchange, how could you afford insurance on the individual market?

My brother age 43 in Texas just enrolled in the ACA Bronze plan with Blue Cross Blue Shield for $143/month, and that is with no subsidy. He is very happy.
    Your brother probably doesn't make much money and is probably on public assistance.

For those who try to do their best and pull their own weight, prices are a bit higher.

Edit:

I just did a google search for the bronze plan and it really doesn't cover much. You can still get hit with a huge medical bill with that insurance, which means a young person would be better off without it. If your brother is young and that's why the rates are lower, then he's still getting bent over.
  5. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    30 Oct '13 16:431 edit
    Your brother probably doesn't make much money and is probably on public assistance.

For those who try to do their best and pull their own weight, prices are a bit higher.

Edit:

I just did a google search for the bronze plan and it really doesn't cover much. You can still get hit with a huge medical bill with that insurance, which means a young perso ...[text shortened]... If your brother is young and that's why the rates are lower, then he's still getting bent over.
    You need to work on your reading comprehension. I said he receives no subsidy and that he is age 43. Did you even read it?

The Bronze Plan is perfect for him and what he wants. And it's better than what he had on the individual market and at a cheaper price.
  6. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    30 Oct '13 16:494 edits

Edit:

I just did a google search for the bronze plan and it really doesn't cover much. You can still get hit with a huge medical bill with that insurance, which means a young perso ...[text shortened]... If your brother is young and that's why the rates are lower, then he's still getting bent over.
    A healthy young person who never goes to the doctor should definitely get the Bronze Plan or even the cheaper Catastrophic Plan. They get free preventative care and are covered if they need catastrophic care.

Sure, if they have a minor surgery, will have to pay some out-of-pocket cost but it is limited. But you do not want to be on indigent care without insurance with a liver transplant that is going to cost a million dollars, or for receiving cancer treatment, or when in being in a serious car accident and cost tens of thousands of dollars to save your life, etc.

If you are healthy and never go to the doctor, you want that insurance to cover you for something catastrophic. But why pay for a Cadillac plan with low deductible and low out-of-pocket when you never go to the doctor? Get the insurance for the $500,000 medical hit so the medical expense doesn't bankrupt you and put you in indigent care at a teaching hospital or on a long waiting lists, etc.
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    30 Oct '13 19:12
    You need to work on your reading comprehension. I said he receives no subsidy and that he is age 43. Did you even read it?

The Bronze Plan is perfect for him and what he wants. And it's better than what he had on the individual market and at a cheaper price.
    If he isn't planning on seeing a doctor, then he shouldn't get healthcare at all. Even so, I just did a search of pre-obama care plans and post and the pre obama care quotes are lower.

Your brother is still having to pay more because of this plan. Insurance companies get to make more money because of Obama.
  8. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    30 Oct '13 19:133 edits
    A healthy young person who never goes to the doctor should definitely get the Bronze Plan or even the cheaper Catastrophic Plan. They get free preventative care and are covered if they need catastrophic care.

Sure, if they have a minor surgery, will have to pay some out-of-pocket cost but it is limited. But you do not want to be on indigent care witho ...[text shortened]... ankrupt you and put you in indigent care at a teaching hospital or on a long waiting lists, etc.
    They do not get free preventative care, they have to pay for it by their premiums. It would be cheaper if they would just not get the insurance and pay the doctor for services rendered.

If they have surgery in the hospital they will be stuck with paying thousands of dollars under that plan.
  9. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    31 Oct '13 02:516 edits
    They do not get free preventative care, they have to pay for it by their premiums. It would be cheaper if they would just not get the insurance and pay the doctor for services rendered.

If they have surgery in the hospital they will be stuck with paying thousands of dollars under that plan.
    Maximum out-of-pocket on a Bronze Plan is $6,350. A young person in Texas pays about $100/mo. for the Bronze Plan, or less than $50/mo. with typical subsidy on young people making $25,000 per year.

If you contracted Hepatitis like young people do, and need a liver transplant at a cost of $314,500, for example, the most you pay is $6,350.

If you do not have medical insurance, you are liable for the full $314,500. If you can't pay it all even after going bankrupt, the taxpayer pays for it. That is if you get the liver transplant. Instead, because of no insurance, you may not get the transplant and die with ineffective medication you can barely afford. Again, a young person in Texas with typical low-middle income can get ACA insurance for less than $50 per month.

For cost of liver transplant, see the link below.

http://www.kidney.org/atoz/content/livertx.cfm
  10. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    31 Oct '13 14:47
    If you can't afford the premiums, then what good is the insurance?

Do we accept that these new policies are affordable simply because they are a result of the Affordable Care Act? If you are Moon I'd say the answer is yes, but for the rest of us the answer is no.

NBC isn't exacly Fox News lol.
    From your link: “Nothing in the Affordable Care Act forces people out of their health plans: The law allows plans that covered people at the time the law was enacted to continue to offer that same coverage to the same enrollees – nothing has changed and that coverage can continue into 2014,”

So is this statement true or not?
  11. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    31 Oct '13 16:351 edit
    Originally posted by vivify
    From your link: “Nothing in the Affordable Care Act forces people out of their health plans: The law allows plans that covered people at the time the law was enacted to continue to offer that same coverage to the same enrollees – nothing has changed and that coverage can continue into 2014,”

So is this statement true or not?
    I think the catch is that the plan can't change, including the price. This catches the plans with "the price can't go up" standard. If the price goes up, then the plan must meet Obamacare 'standards'.

For all practical purposes, the statement is a lie. We know that health care costs are on the rise, so we know that Obamacare will close down those policies.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree