When the dust settles

When the dust settles

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blade Runner

Republicants

Moves
25 Nov 16

Is there any doubt, that as the dust settles and The Donald high tails it to the center, that the office of the President is much bigger than the individual, and once esconced therein the mark of a "good" President is nothing more than that of a good weather forecaster; sell what's coming down the pipeline with a smile.

Cape Town

Moves
25 Nov 16
1 edit

Originally posted by kmax87
Is there any doubt, that as the dust settles and The Donald high tails it to the center, that the office of the President is much bigger than the individual, and once esconced therein the mark of a "good" President is nothing more than that of a good weather forecaster; sell what's coming down the pipeline with a smile.
It all depends on what the Donald really wants out of this job. I find it highly improbable that he could win a second term, and don't know if he expects to, or wants to. So the question is whether or not he feels obligated to court voters or court party members or who exactly he wishes to please. It is likely that a fairly large focus will be pleasing (and enriching) his own family members. Previous presidents have all felt an obligation to voters, party members, financial supporters and a general desire to improve the country. Whether any of this applies to the Donald is doubtful and most certainly should not be assumed to be the case.

w

Moves
25 Nov 16
1 edit

Trump has no plan of challenging the establishment other than giving the appearance of challenging it, I can assure you.

He will smooze with the establishment ilk just enough to do their bidding and get what he wants for his family.

He never would have gotten this far if that were not the case.

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
25 Nov 16

I'm watching the Sec of State appointment very closely and think that it's a major harbinger.

The appointments so far have been a mixed bag, but I'd give him a B-. I definitely don't think it's been a disaster.

For Sec. of State, you have a political enemy but who is plainly competent and reasonable in Romney and some solid other possibilities like Bob Corker.

On the other hand, you have hotheads like Giuliani and Bolton.

Does Trump have the guts to defy his base and go with Romney or the sense to go with a solid but unspectacular pick like Corker? Or does he capitulate and go with a firebreathing loudmouth in his own campaign-style mold?

This appointment will determine whether I look at a Trump presidency with guarded optimism or deep-rooted fear.

w

Moves
25 Nov 16

Romney: Trump is a clown, a reprobate, not a serious candidate for President.

Trump: So does that mean you won't be my Secretary of State or what?

E

Moves
25 Nov 16

If he doesn't he'd get shot.

k

Moves
25 Nov 16

Originally posted by sh76
I'm watching the Sec of State appointment very closely and think that it's a major harbinger.

The appointments so far have been a mixed bag, but I'd give him a B-. I definitely don't think it's been a disaster.

For Sec. of State, you have a political enemy but who is plainly competent and reasonable in Romney and some solid other possibilities like Bob Co ...[text shortened]... t will determine whether I look at a Trump presidency with guarded optimism or deep-rooted fear.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38074177 My money is on this guy.

Cryptic

Behind the scenes

Moves
25 Nov 16

Originally posted by sh76

For Sec. of State, you have a political enemy but who is plainly competent and reasonable in Romney and some solid other possibilities like Bob Co ...[text shortened]... t will determine whether I look at a Trump presidency with guarded optimism or deep-rooted fear.
No matter who gets picked as Sec. of State, there is soon going to be a lot of disillusioned Trump supporters as they find "The Donald" can't deliver on even 10% of his promises. 😳

Blade Runner

Republicants

Moves
26 Nov 16

Originally posted by mchill
No matter who gets picked as Sec. of State, there is soon going to be a lot of disillusioned Trump supporters as they find "The Donald" can't deliver on even 10% of his promises. 😳
This is the real question of this thread. Given that Trump has neatly sidestepped prosecuting Clinton and the Wall will probably not get built. Also given his recent comments about clean pure water, if the Donald emerges as a champion of the environment, how long before his diehard supporters become passionate enemies and the alt right movement targets a new public enemy?

Cape Town

Moves
26 Nov 16
1 edit

..... and the Wall will probably not get built.
There is no 'probably' about it. There is no way to actually get Mexico to pay for it, and when republicans realise that they will be paying for it (if he does try to build it) then they will change their minds.
But then again, republicans might be hoodwinked into paying for it just like they were hoodwinking into voting for Trump.