1. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    05 May '11 20:262 edits
    I cannot convince myself those in the Government of Pakistan did not know where Osama Bin Laden was when America raided his house and killed him a few days ago. It's clear Bin Laden was living there for quite awhile. With all the billions of dollars in aid the United States shipped to Pakistan in the last decade, it seems it's been money wasted.

So, where does America stand with Pakistan?
  2. Joined
    27 Dec '05
    Moves
    05 May '11 20:31

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

3. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    05 May '11 20:51
    Originally posted by bill718
    I cannot convince myself those in the Government of Pakistan did not know where Osama Bin Laden was when America raided his house and killed him a few days ago. It's clear Bin Laden was living there for quite awhile. With all the billions of dollars in aid the United States shipped to Pakistan in the last decade, it seems it's been money wasted.

Obviously, the Pakistani government cannot be trusted to altruistically look out for American interests; but the current Pakistani government structure is much better for American interests than are most of the likely alternatives.

Our support of the current Pakistani government is therefore not at all a "waste."
  4. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    05 May '11 20:52

Who has room to talk?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/10/20/al-qaeda-terror-leader-dined-pentagon-months/

The Pentagon can but Pakistan can't?
  5. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    05 May '11 20:53
    Originally posted by sh76
    Obviously, the Pakistani government cannot be trusted to altruistically look out for American interests; but the current Pakistani government structure is much better for American interests than are most of the likely alternatives.

Our support of the current Pakistani government is therefore not at all a "waste."
    Apparently we cannot look after our own interests.
  6. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    05 May '11 21:461 edit
    Unless you are willing to wipe countries like Pakistan off the face of the earth, you are going to have to do business with the lesser of two evils.
  7. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    07 May '11 21:231 edit
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/may/07/afghanistan-taliban-america-anatol-lieven

I thought this was interesting. The writer published a book about Pakistan just recently which looks good. He argues that Americans and the West simply fail to understand how a country like Pakistan works.

Here he compares the likely American exit strategy from Afghanistan with that of the Russians, already interesting enough, and predicts it will fail because it is driven by American domestic politics, not by appreciating the realities of the region. To be fair though, his track record in predicting what America will do is imperfect, having checked some old articals from 2008 and 2006 which he wrote. But then who is good at predicting?
  8. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    09 May '11 21:03

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/pakistan/8488236/WikiLeaks-Osama-bin-Laden-protected-by-Pakistani-security.html
  9. Standard memberScotty70
    Maddog1213
    Central Office
    Moves
    11 May '11 00:50
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/pakistan/8488236/WikiLeaks-Osama-bin-Laden-protected-by-Pakistani-security.html
    Pakistan is too valuable to dismiss and too dangerous to ignore, especially now that India is now beginning to rear its ugly head into the whole situation.
  10. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    11 May '11 02:46
    A USA Today article reported today that Pakistan and the U.S. signed an agreement that permitted the U.S. to act unilaterally to assassinate bin Laden in Pakistan, if necessary, on the condition that Pakistan could protest their unilateralism after the fact.

Politics transcends nations and cultures, it seems.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree