1. Germany
    Moves
    27 Oct '15 18:13
    Originally posted by normbenign
    That's true, but humans seem to dominate what goes on around this hunk of rock, as other species apparently did before them.

I wonder if any critters were worried about the dinosaurs becoming extinct?
    People like to think they are very important and they have a large influence on the world. Of course, the truth is we couldn't wipe out life on Earth if we tried. The "best" we could do is wipe out some endangered mammals and perhaps ourselves.

Dinosaurs aren't extinct, by the way. Look outside your window and you might find some of their descendants.
  2. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    27 Oct '15 21:26
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    People like to think they are very important and they have a large influence on the world. Of course, the truth is we couldn't wipe out life on Earth if we tried. The "best" we could do is wipe out some endangered mammals and perhaps ourselves.

Dinosaurs aren't extinct, by the way. Look outside your window and you might find some of their descendants.
    It is true that historically humans have been destructive of important resources that they later determined to be important to them. Example, mindlessly shooting buffalo from trains in the 19th century. Around here we do a pretty good job of protecting vital life forms, and some that are less vital.

That said, we probably will always have the potential of self destruction.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree